Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How "PB" is this meal?

Hi guys,

I'm very new to PB and I'm in the process of initiating change. So far this week I have not had any grains, have had SIGNIFICANTLY reduced dairy, increased greens and eggs. Meats as per usual. I've also decreased sugar as I am beginning to understand that this whole dealio is about insulin.

I made this meal the other night and was wondering how "PB" it is, because it tasted awesome and if it gets a tick, then I'll make it again. And again.

Basically it was a stirfry that was made out of: Squid; Garlic; Chili; Ginger; Basil; Coriander; Bok Choy; Carrots; Broccoli; Capsicum; Vermicelli Rice Noodles; Soy Sauce & Oyster Sauce.

Specifically its the last three items I'm unsure of.

rice is a grain

soy sauce is, get this, made of soy.

not doing so good.

Comment

You got 9 out of 13 right.

Ditch the vermicelli.

Ditch the oyster sauce. (Have you seen what's in that stuff?"

Switch out your soy sauce for wheat-free tamari.

That's much better.

And if you want a "fishy" taste, throw in a bit of good quality anchovy paste. Just a bit. Or some actual anchovies.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
        rice is a grain

not doing so good.
        Jamie, maybe I'm reading this wrong, but to me your post, specifically the soy bit, comes off like a completely condescending smart-ass. I'm still waiting on my book to arrive and I'm still working my way through the criss-cross of this website to find banned foods. I didn't realise that soy was off limits and I understand I have a steep learning curve.

So, out of 15 meals, one had some grain and soy in it. I'd say I'm doing pretty good for week one. Thanks for your support.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
          You got 9 out of 13 right.

Ditch the vermicelli.

Ditch the oyster sauce. (Have you seen what's in that stuff?"

Switch out your soy sauce for wheat-free tamari.

That's much better.

And if you want a "fishy" taste, throw in a bit of good quality anchovy paste. Just a bit. Or some actual anchovies.
          Awesome tips! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
            rice is a grain

not doing so good.
            Jerk
            Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

You're going to find a lot of smartasses here, don't let them discourage you. Many of them usually have very good advice and information once you get past the sarcasm. Sounds like you're doing great, making small changes is how I started. And I second the wheat-free tamari sauce instead of the soy, it's much tastier too.

Comment

Thanks spincycle. Good to know!!

Comment

Originally posted by Don't Feed The Monkeys View Post
                  Jamie, maybe I'm reading this wrong, but to me your post, specifically the soy bit, comes off like a completely condescending smart-ass. I'm still waiting on my book to arrive and I'm still working my way through the criss-cross of this website to find banned foods. I didn't realise that soy was off limits and I understand I have a steep learning curve.

So, out of 15 meals, one had some grain and soy in it. I'd say I'm doing pretty good for week one. Thanks for your support.

The PB cookbooks say I can use the wheat free tamari- then by all means I WILL lol! Sounds good to me

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

The soy sauce isn't bad because of the soy. The soy is fermented so Mark says it's okay because a lot of the toxins are removed through fermentation. But soy sauce is really made with wheat....and that's the killer. Like someone said the Tamari wheat free is fine.

Ditch the rice noodles. You can use grated cauliflower to serve it on if you need something.

Comment

Originally posted by sixpack-rc View Post
                      The soy sauce isn't bad because of the soy. The soy is fermented so Mark says it's okay because a lot of the toxins are removed through fermentation. But soy sauce is really made with wheat....and that's the killer. Like someone said the Tamari wheat free is fine.

Ditch the rice noodles. You can use grated cauliflower to serve it on if you need something.
                      I concur cauliflower- I prefer it over rice any day- delish!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

If you want to avoid soy completely you could try coconut aminos. They are actually pretty tasty. I do still use wheat free tamari once in a while, but usually use the coconut aminos instead. You can also buy fish sauce to add to your stir fry instead of oyster sauce. It is not sweet but has good flavor (don't let the nasty smell food you ) - I have read that the Red Boat brand only has fermented anchovy and no other crap.

As for the noodles, I have found that the pre-shredded broccoli slaw you can buy in the grocery store works really well for noodles in asian dishes. It is very mild and take on a noodle-like texture when sauteed. Yummy!!
                        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Thanks so much for all the advice and tips guys!! I probably would never have considered grated cauli or shredded broccoli.. and I'd never heard of the wheat-free tamari!! Brilliant. Thanks so much! :-)

Comment

yeah, that broccoli/cauliflower slaw works wonders for stir-fries, playing with the cooking time can lead to several interesting textures

as for the rice noodles, a better choice than wheat noodle, but only a possible non-primal treat depending on your numbers & goals if the carbs can be budgeted for

Comment

I am kind of in the same boat you are "DFTM."

What really helped me was to find this shopping list. It is from this website, and is a quick list Mark put together of what we can eat. Basically, I live off this list. If it's on the list, I eat it; if it's not, I don't.

Tamari is amazing; it tastes almost the same as Soy Sauce. Understand this diet is on the 80/20 belief system. 80% good, 20% bad. I try to "stockpile" up my 20% then go to a place here in gilbert called "Takamatsu" once a month for the "All-You-Can-Eat Sushi." Still, if you want to slip up a bit and use regular soy sauce, no one here should give you grief.

Comment

Working...
                              X