Meat is bad for you....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meat is bad for you....

Sorry for the sensationalist title. Obviously meat is not bad for you. But I just want to point out a problem I have seen on these forums recently. People talk about how wheat and grains are bad for you and to truly understand it you have to stop eating them for a while and then eat something with a decent amount of grains in it and see how you feel. Well most people feel like garbage after doing this and then they come here and say that is a good way of showing you how bad grains are for you. I have also heard people say that when you are eating grains all the time you just get used to it so you just don't notice how hard it is on your body. Well with this line of reasoning I could say that meat is bad for you. Ask a vegetarian what happens if they eat meat after not eating it for a while. They feel absolutely horrible. I just wanted to point out that this line of thinking is completely illogical in both the case of grains and meat.

I used to be a vegetarian and I didn't have any issues going back to meat. Just my n=1. Maybe if I'd dived right in to eating fatty cuts I would've.

Comment

I politely disagree, though I understand your reasoning.

You are correct that *long-term* vegetarians can have trouble introducing meat back into their diet. However, here's the way to really look at the situation:

Drop meat for three weeks. Most folks won't see any major improvements in health as a result. Anyone expect to have any problems adding it back? Not normally. In fact, many if not most people will find the proteins and iron will give them a nice boost in the days after finally getting some good beef in them.

Drop wheat for three weeks. Most people *will* see immediate health improvements. For me it only took four DAYS to see my acid reflux subside and two weeks before I took my last antacid ever. People often see reductions in inflammation, improved sleep and other immediate benefits including weight loss and improved mood. Now add the wheat back. You'll notice a marked deterioration in your health. Yes, it can vary depending on how negatively wheat impacts YOU, but for most people it's a very clear cause and effect relationship.
      Life is short: Void the warranty.

Comment

I think when vegetarians introduce meat back into their diet, the crappy feeling is mostly psychological. It's normal to feel uneasiness when you re-introduce something into your diet that you went out of your way to exclude for a long time.

Also, grains are high glycemic index. Meat is not. There's a difference there.
        Visit my blog Primal Homeskillet. And eat it too.

Comment

They feel horrible because their digestive system is used to digesting less- meat takes longer- that is why they often get a belly ache- the stomach is almost shocked from having to do all that work- it takes up to 2-3 days for meat to digest while fruits and vegetables usually take about 12 hrs ( to complete full digestion)

I do not think it is completely illogical- for myself when I dare to eat wheat I notice my back breaks out and I get constipated or vice versa. It also affects my mucus levels I get a bit congested along with a headache, I also find myself more fatigued as the day goes by. belly ache versus all the crap I just listed- I will eat my meat!

I also agree with Katie it is often more psychological
          Last edited by LexxyV86; 09-28-2011, 09:15 AM.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

Same here! I have had acid reflux since I was little- taking away all grains no heartburn! GLORIOUS!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

hmmmm.... interesting point. Unfortunately I don't think I'll ever remove meat from my diet to notice effects. Sarcasm. :P

Comment

A Vegan No More | Voracious
                Work

Both ex-vegans immediately felt better after eating meat.
                Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Until very recently, I'd been vegetarian for 13 years. Since discovering the primal/paleo lifestyle and deciding it makes a lot of sense, in the last few weeks I've started eating meat again.

Psychologically it was difficult at first, but physically I FEEL FANTASTIC. My body is just lapping it up. And I wasn't exactly a "cheese and fries" kind of vegetarian - I ate plenty of soy, legumes, vegetables, supplemented with iron, B vitamins etc.

It feels like I'm taking good care of my body for the first time in a long time. No adverse effects at all so far, beyond the guys in the office having a field day with jokes about putting meat in my mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by LexxyV86 View Post
                    They feel horrible because their digestive system is used to digesting less- meat takes longer- that is why they often get a belly ache- the stomach is almost shocked from having to do all that work- it takes up to 2-3 days for meat to digest while fruits and vegetables usually take about 12 hrs ( to complete full digestion)

I do not think it is completely illogical- for myself when I dare to eat wheat I notice my back breaks out and I get constipated or vice versa. It also affects my mucus levels I get a bit congested along with a headache, I also find myself more fatigued as the day goes by. belly ache versus all the crap I just listed- I will eat my meat!

I also agree with Katie it is often more psychological
                    2 to 3 days to digest meat? I have never heard that and wouldn't think that it took more than 4 or 5 hours. Can you give more info on this?

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                      2 to 3 days to digest meat? I have never heard that and wouldn't think that it took more than 4 or 5 hours. Can you give more info on this?
                      I am pretty sure meat is digested rather quickly, once it leaves the stomach (which might take longer, depending on the fat content, of course). It is completely GONE through digestion before it reaches the colon (no fiber, so nothing LEFT for the colon).

Comment

Originally posted by gunnk View Post
                        I politely disagree, though I understand your reasoning.

You are correct that *long-term* vegetarians can have trouble introducing meat back into their diet. However, here's the way to really look at the situation:

Drop meat for three weeks. Most folks won't see any major improvements in health as a result. Anyone expect to have any problems adding it back? Not normally. In fact, many if not most people will find the proteins and iron will give them a nice boost in the days after finally getting some good beef in them.

Drop wheat for three weeks. Most people *will* see immediate health improvements. For me it only took four DAYS to see my acid reflux subside and two weeks before I took my last antacid ever. People often see reductions in inflammation, improved sleep and other immediate benefits including weight loss and improved mood. Now add the wheat back. You'll notice a marked deterioration in your health. Yes, it can vary depending on how negatively wheat impacts YOU, but for most people it's a very clear cause and effect relationship.
                        Yep. I dropped grains and within a week I could feel a noticeable change in several of my Hashimoto's Thyroiditis symptoms. I used to have swelling all the time (hands and face most noticeably). That went away in a few days. My body temperature went up. Plus I was able to tolerate heat and cold better. That was all immediate. In the long term, my hair is regrowing and going back to its old texture. I'm slowly losing a bit of the weight I gained when my thyroid gland started to fail. Plus I just feel awesome.

The only thing that happened when I gave up meat was I got pudgy.

Comment

Seems like I'm one of the few who has dropped grains and have not noticed a whit of difference in the way I feel. I never felt bad eating them, and I didn't have any ailments that miraculously cleared up either. That said, I have lost some weight, and I will continue to eat Primal because I am convinced of the long-term health benefits of eliminating grains, and I do love that I don't get shaky and feel like I "have" to eat every few hours. But I guess I'm one of those who tolerated wheat and other grains quite well, at least in the short term.

Comment

Originally posted by spincycle View Post
                            Seems like I'm one of the few who has dropped grains and have not noticed a whit of difference in the way I feel. I never felt bad eating them, and I didn't have any ailments that miraculously cleared up either. That said, I have lost some weight, and I will continue to eat Primal because I am convinced of the long-term health benefits of eliminating grains, and I do love that I don't get shaky and feel like I "have" to eat every few hours. But I guess I'm one of those who tolerated wheat and other grains quite well, at least in the short term.
                            I don't know how old you are, but I tolerated them well when I was younger. In my mid-30s I developed and autoimmune condition. Until that point, I had been in screaming good health with low body fat on a total CW diet. I counted my calories and spent hours pretending I was a hamster at the gym, but I felt pretty darned good. Then my thyroid tanked and I hit a wall.

Maybe that would never have happened to you, but autoimmune conditions are getting to be an epidemic in this country. The thyroid hormone I take to compensate for my condition is number four on the list of most prescribed drugs in the US. And that's just one out of a whole slew of possible autoimmune diseases. I'm glad you're giving up grains anyway since that makes it highly unlikely you'll ever have one!

Comment

Yeah, 3 days to digest meat is the kind of hogwash that militant vegans promote. They also like to tell you that Elvis had 30 pounds of undigested meat in his colon. Interesting article from 1929 on the subject:

A quarter-pound of meat stimulates almost twice as much gastric juices as does a quarter-pound of bread or other carbohydrates, and is correspondingly better for normal digestion. Doctors, dietitians and gastronomers in general did not know that fact until last week when they received a leaflet from Drs. Martin E. Rehfuss* and George H. Marcil of Philadelphia...

In physiology and biology this quicker, more ample response to meats than to breads seems to confirm the popular belief that man is fundamentally more carnivorous than herbivorous.
                              Read more: Medicine: Meat for Digestion - TIME

Comment

Working...
                              X