Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Mehdi right, is milk the best post workout meal in the universe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Mehdi right, is milk the best post workout meal in the universe?

Is it? Because that's what Mehdi said on his site and now, I drink a ton of milk after strength training. I feel good about myself.

I don't know who Medhi is, but Chocolate Milk has been a PWO drink for many years. Has the right amount of sugar and protein. If you can drink milk, I say go for it. I love milk.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

It's growth promoting, hence why the GOMAD method is purportedly so effective. If growth (overall growth! not just muscle) is what you're after then godspeed. Too much moderate fat dairy makes me gain unwanted body fat, the higher the fat the less fat I put on. Eat fat, lose fat, white is black, up is down.
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I'm trying to remember where I read that fructose shuts down PWO growth hormone production. Maybe I'm misremembering. I'll have to go look. That would make the choco milk a little less appealing.

ETA: I found an article over at Mercola's site.
        Last edited by DaisyEater; 09-27-2011, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Like iniQuity said, it's good if you're not afraid of gaining some body fat. At least if you're downing mass quantities. A glass or two wouldn't really hurt you in that respect. In my opinion, lean beef and mashed potatoes is the best PWO meal in the universe, but I'm a Leangains fanboy, so...

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
            I'm trying to remember where I read that fructose shuts down PWO growth hormone production. Maybe I'm misremembering. I'll have to go look. That would make the choco milk a little less appealing.

ETA: I found an article over at Mercola's site.
            True, sugar/insulin does blunt HGH. But insulin also stops the release of cortisol. Have to take that into consideration as well.
            If your main goal is to build muscle, I would forgo the minimal HGH release (more is released while you sleep) and repair the muscles and restore muscle glycogen.
            People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Speaking of Mehdi, just saw on my reader (I signed up to SL's blog) that he's now accepting 1000 new gold members, not sure how much it costs, but whatever the price is it includes a monthly phonecall with mehdi. Assuming everybody takes advantage, that means he could get 1000 calls per month... FOREVER, or you know, for some time..
              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Who is this Mehdi person?
                Norak's Primal Journal:
                2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
                2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
                2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

Originally posted by norak View Post
                  Who is this Mehdi person?
                  he's the creator of stronglifts...though creator might be too much, since it's a lot like rippletoe's start strength program. he's got a pretty good blog, great articles and videos on how to do exercises, and (though i haven't been there in a while) his forums are great for information about lifting. a lot of people here, me included, have shown great success with his 5x5 beginners program.
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Ah shit, 5x5 was him? Didn't know that, but I did it a few years back. Live and learn.

Comment

It wasn't him but he made a program out of it, I think 5x5 is very old. I like 3x5 more, but Mehdi has some good things to say.

Got the announcement about the 1000 new members. I replied immediately and hope to get in, if only to see what the forum is like.

So I will drink the milk. I did gain fat but I also gained strength and muscle, so it feels good, the fat is easy to take off later.

Comment

Assuming you are lactose-tolerant, want to gain and use whole foods, then yes, it's pretty close to the best.
                        Lifting Journal

Comment

Eggs are better.

Comment

Working...
                          X