Protein shake weirdness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protein shake weirdness

Not lactose intolerant, but when I started drinking protein shakes with whey protein a week ago, I began to develop weird symptoms, such as "lightheadedness" occasionally, and a sense that something "wasn't quite right". A search of the internet turned up a few hits for people who had similar experiences, but no solid explanations of why this might happen. I am fit, no health issues. Active for many years...this is not a sudden "change of lifestyle".

Any ideas why this might happen? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks in advance...

What are the ingredients of the shake?

Comment

Primal Fuel...though I think this would apply to any whey protein shake. Don't think PF is specifically the issue...
      Last edited by Bear; 09-25-2011, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Some whey protein shakes have a lot of arsenic and such in them:
        Consumer Reports tests find traces of heavy metals in some protein supplements | Booster Shots | Los Angeles Times

Comment

I think this would apply to any whey protein shake

Comment

Possible insulin spike

Comment

I find that happens when I have them without a meal sometimes - they do cause a large insulin spike. Nothing extraordinarily serious.
              The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
              Blog
              sigpic

Comment

The idea of an "insulin spike" deriving from Primal Fuel (Mark's own brand) would seem counter-intuitive, given the amount of work he put into the idea of diet preventing such a thing. If you're right, I don't see how feeling sh*tty can be a good thing...even if temporary.

Comment

Too much protein raises blood sugar.

What's your protein intake like?

Do you have 7 strips of bacon before the shake? (you get the idea)
                  Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
                  Follow me on google+
                  Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
                  "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Comment

I get the same feelign if I have one on an empty stomach and I do not have some fat along with it. I do not get that feelign if I eat a few slices of bacon with it or have a good dose of coconut oil with it.

Comment

Yes, whey protein shakes are highly insulingenic. So, you are likely to get lowered blood-glucose as a result of them. Not a bad thing post-workout as it sends the proteins into the muscles but it also causes blood sugar to be taken into the tissues as well.

Though honestly I would expect anyone with the "ketosis" switch turned on to not have so much of a problem with this on account of the body already in "gluconeogenesis" mode (converting protein into sugars). I guess it depends on how fast it can do the conversion vs the rise in insulin levels.

I mix my protein shakes with heavy cream or raw milk or raw eggs to slow down the digestion for evening out the spikes, and in the case of the raw milk provide sugars.

Comment

The only time that I've ever had a problem with whey protein was when I had some with a hangover. I suspect that due to how fast whey protein is absorbed it made the hangover a lot worse.
                        http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by fpsjosh01 View Post
                          Too much protein raises blood sugar.

What's your protein intake like?

Do you have 7 strips of bacon before the shake? (you get the idea)
                          I had it on an empty stomach, before working out. Guess I'll try a little food first. Did not/will not have 7 strips of bacon though!

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                            The only time that I've ever had a problem with whey protein was when I had some with a hangover. I suspect that due to how fast whey protein is absorbed it made the hangover a lot worse.
                            Now THAT'S good information...LOL!

Comment

Working...
                            X