Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an oil for my Whole30

Hi,

Getting ready for a Whole30. I usually use ghee to cook, but want to avoid any and all sources of dairy.

Wish I could use coconut oil, but I find the smell and taste revolting!

So, can I use Palm oil? Does it have to be palm "kernel" oil? (I have Spectrum Organic Palm oil...does that count?).

Is sunflower seed oil okay if I get high oleic (and organic)?

Avacodo seems nice, but I'd like to not break the bank on this

Thanks!
    spicegirl

Bacon grease, any nut oil (though expensive, like avocado), and yup - palm oil! Not sure on the kernel part though, I think palm is just fine as long as it's unrefined.

Sunflower, as I recall, oxidizes at a low heat, so isn't great for cooking.

read more here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/
    Last edited by lexsi340; 09-23-2011, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Spectrum makes a great refined coconut oil using good processes. I'd use that. NO flavor. Very good.

Comment

Tropical Traditions also makes an excellent refined CO. No smell, no flavor, still with the CO benefits.

edit:
        This is the one. Note the part about how TT refines their oil. I am not sure how Spectrum does theirs.
        http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/ex...oconut_oil.htm
        Last edited by TigerLily; 09-23-2011, 08:55 AM.
        "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I really like macademia nut oil. Nice buttery taste, downside is it's pretty spendy.

Comment

beef talllow
            Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
            Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
            Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Butter and ghee would be my #1 and #2 choice, but since dairy is out...

Nut oils are no good. They're extremely high in PUFA's and are on the level of vegetable oils in terms of oxidation.

Coconut oil is a great choice for health, but it doesn't go well with a lot of foods. I would get a bottle of extra virgin olive oil and a jar of virgin coconut oil. Those are my two go-to cooking oils as it is. I use coconut oil as my #1 choice when the flavor works, but I usually find myself cooking with extra virgin olive oil. There is NOTHING WRONG with frying in extra virgin olive oil. Just store the oil in a dark location and make sure it's in either a dark tinted container or a tin. Done.
              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

NOTE: I've tried every coconut oil, all were the best of brands (read: VERY expensive). I want to gag just thinking about heating any of them.

Where do you get beef tallow?

Comment

? But refined CO is flavorless, scentless. You tried refined?
                  "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by spicegirl View Post
                    NOTE: I've tried every coconut oil, all were the best of brands (read: VERY expensive). I want to gag just thinking about heating any of them.

Where do you get beef tallow?
                    Beef ribs in the oven @ 225 for 12 hours . i am just about to pop mine in
                    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                      Beef ribs in the oven @ 225 for 12 hours . i am just about to pop mine in
                      Maybe I'm dense, but...just take the beef ribs, meat and all and put in oven for 12 hours. Then what? Do you use the grease.

Sorry, I'm new to meat!

Comment

You can also cook a pound of bacon until crisp and save the grease. I do this.

Comment

I think some folks get beef tallow from a butcher shop. But I don't think there's anything wrong with palm oil, although I haven't tried it myself.

And yes, people mean to use the grease, drippings, whatever from the meat you cook.

Good luck!
                          "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
                          "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
                          If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

Working...
                          X