Sweet potato skins?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet potato skins?

Ok, so I was peeling a sweet potato this morning and my wife asked why and said tht she had read that the nutrients are in the skin (likely due to undue influence of the potato skin lobby). Mark has a good post on white potatoes and the need to get rid of the skins due to a variety of toxins. He has little on sweet potato skins - just that he doesn't eat the skins on the likelihood of similar defenses as white potatoes, but referenced no studies.

It stands to reason, as I speculated in conversation with my wife, that the nutrients are in the body of the tuber as that its purpose - to store nutrients (for a plant) and if there were stoic defense mechanisms, they would be in the skin.

So any thoughts on the matter? Do you peel sweet potatoes?

I peel my sweet potatoes. My understanding is that it's the anti-nutrients that are located in and around the skin, not the nutrients.
    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

The anti-nutrients, as well as a lot of the nutrients are in the skin. I peel it off because it's bitter and I don't like the texture.

Comment

While there may be other antinutrients in sweet potatoes, I don't think they contain solaine like white potatoes since they're not related botanically. I still peel my sweet potatoes too. I use them for carb refeeds occasionally and don't want to extra fiber slowing down absorption.

Comment

I eat the skins. I think they're tasty.

The way I see it, there are worse things I could be eating.

Comment

I eat em.

Comment

I don't eat the skin in either white potatoes or sweet potatoes. I usually baked them, then remove the skin, and mashed them. If I am during fries, then I leave a little skin on. My personal preferences anyway.

I find zero evidence that the skin has any significant nutrients, so whether you eat the skin or not it's up to your personal preferences.

Comment

I eat 'em
                Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Eat them here.

Comment

Love 'em and eat 'em.

Comment

And the winner is..........skin eaters by a length.

Comment

Potato skins are more nutrient-dense, but are also where all the toxins reside. A few less nutrients for a lot less toxins = don't eat the skins IMO. The only reason to eat potato skins are, well, you WANT potato skins as a snack. If you're not specifically craving them, cut them off because there's no reason to eat them.

Eating starch for nutrition is a terrible idea, anyway. Starches lack nutrient density, so people who make their dietary staples sweet potatoes, white potatoes, white rice or grains in general aren't doing something smart. Even the most nutritious starches are less nutrient dense than some of the least nutritious vegetables. You should be eating starches as a low-toxin source of complex carbohydrate if you need carbs in your diet. If you don't do carbs, there's no need to eat starch since you can be filling the calories with more nutrient dense foods.
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                          Potato skins are more nutrient-dense, but are also where all the toxins reside. A few less nutrients for a lot less toxins = don't eat the skins IMO. The only reason to eat potato skins are, well, you WANT potato skins as a snack. If you're not specifically craving them, cut them off because there's no reason to eat them.

Eating starch for nutrition is a terrible idea, anyway. Starches lack nutrient density, so people who make their dietary staples sweet potatoes, white potatoes, white rice or grains in general aren't doing something smart. Even the most nutritious starches are less nutrient dense than some of the least nutritious vegetables. You should be eating starches as a low-toxin source of complex carbohydrate if you need carbs in your diet. If you don't do carbs, there's no need to eat starch since you can be filling the calories with more nutrient dense foods.
                          Thanks as always for imparting your knowledge on this stuff, Chacotaco. I agree with your assessment overall and agree there are more nutrient dense foods than potato/rice/etc. The challenge for me is that I am trying to reestablish the habit of eating more carbs (in part inspired by your experiments in refers ertc) and trying to go as clean and primal as possible. It would be pretty hard to increase carbs on an occasional day without adding a lot of starches of some kind especially if you don't want to overdo fruits due to fructose content.

Comment

If I'm making them into fries, I leave the skin on. Otherwise, I peel them. Weird I know.
                            Dena

Proud Single Mom to Mackenzie

Proud Non-Smoker since 10/29/05

I believe that how you feel is very important to how you look - that healthy equals beautiful.
                            Victoria Principal

Comment

in most cases, i eat 'em b/c i'm too lazy to peel.

however, i do take them out of the skins after nuking for making smashed.

Comment

Working...
                              X