No announcement yet.

paleo airport foods?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only ever take my own packed meals, I find it easier and more ecomonical than winging it en route. I have never had a problem taking my own food on a flight, but you *may* have to eat certain parts of in before you go through customs at the other end if you fly internationally, however this has never been a problem for me.
    On my last trip I took:

Crispy bacon
    Hard boiled eggs, pre seasoned
    Slices of pear and roquefort cheese
    Some drained sun dried toms which came in EVOO
    Pre dressed salad leaves
    Beef biltong, pre sliced
    Almonds
    82% dark choc
    Coconut griddle cakes spread with honey

I drank water on the flight and I also took my own herbal tea bags, so when everyone else drank tea and coffee I just asked for hot water and dunked my bag in. Fellow pasengers were extremely curious.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread55701.html

Comment

Originally posted by pollydinasaur View Post
      I'm just about to embark on a 21 hr trip tomorrow - scotland to hawaii :-)

I've got 99% 50gm lindt chocoltae bar, 2 x 60gm bags of macadamias packed along with a couple of pepperamis (I think this is like a slim jim USA thing - not perfect but better than nothing). Plan to have 3 fried eggs & 2x bacon before leaving and then grab a steak/chicken salad/veg combo at first stop (newark). IF thrown in after this due to length of flight (just under 11hrs) and then grab food when I arrive. Any other suggestions welcome.
      Lucky you! We did that a couple of years ago, only via Heathrow, San Francisco and somewhere else obscure (no, we didn't make the booking ourselves). The food options sound good, and should be OK. Last time I made some Scotch eggs to take (with home-made sausage meat, and rolled in sesame seeds rather than breadcrumbs as my husband is coeliac - I am too, but only recently diagnosed), which were delicious and didn't seem to cause any problems at Security.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
        Wait. WHAT? Seriously? Pancake batter in omelettes??? THAT'S JUST WRONG. What do you do, ask if it's gluten-free? Do servers even know if there's pancake batter in the omelettes? (I'm wincing as I type that.)
        Yes this is very true. Scary as it may be, it is true. I used to work at a IHOP when I was in college. The way to ensure that your eggs do not come from the mix with pancake batter is ask them to "shell" your eggs. When you ask for that they will use real eggs, crack them, and cook how you like.
        Dena

Proud Single Mom to Mackenzie

Proud Non-Smoker since 10/29/05

I believe that how you feel is very important to how you look - that healthy equals beautiful.
        Victoria Principal

Comment

Originally posted by Nibbler View Post

Beef biltong, pre sliced
          82% dark choc
          Coconut griddle cakes spread with honey
          Couple questions for you. First, what is beef biltong. Second, where do you find 82% dark chocolate? Do you find it at health food store or online? Third, what are coconut griddle cakes? Please share how you make those!!!!

I am keeping this list of items for next time I travel. This is a great meal pack to have. Sounds better than most restaurant meals!!!
          Dena

I believe that how you feel is very important to how you look - that healthy equals beautiful.
          Victoria Principal

Comment

Oh and on another note for the pancake batter in eggs, they not only do it omlettes but also scrambled eggs as well.
            Dena

Victoria Principal

Comment

Originally posted by gsg603 View Post
              Couple questions for you. First, what is beef biltong. Second, where do you find 82% dark chocolate? Do you find it at health food store or online?
              Oddly, I buy my 90% Lindt dark chocolate bars at Walmart for $2.50 each (3.5 oz bars). They have 85% and lower too. Check the candy/snacks section of yours. Ask them to order it if they don't have it.

Amazingly its hard to find 90% at Whole Foods (they tend to top out at 85% for all of their chocolate brands) and it costs more there.

Comment

Originally posted by gsg603 View Post
                Couple questions for you. First, what is beef biltong. Second, where do you find 82% dark chocolate? Do you find it at health food store or online? Third, what are coconut griddle cakes? Please share how you make those!!!!

I am keeping this list of items for next time I travel. This is a great meal pack to have. Sounds better than most restaurant meals!!!
                Hello! Biltong is a South African type of jerky. I am British but biltong is quite popular over here. I personally find jerky too sweet and well, just a bit odd tasting. Biltong can be spicy or mild and comes soft and moist or dry and chewy. It's just air dried super lean steak treated with a spice rub I think. In England, I can buy from South African deli's and some butchers, who make their own. I am certain you can buy it online.
                I can buy chocolate into the mid 80% in grocery stores in the UK, health food stores too, but I happen to know that you can also get it easily in the states. When I was in TX a couple of weeks ago I bought Lindt and Ghirardelli brand high cocoa chocolate in HEB, you can definitely get it in Kroger and Wholefoods too. Or online
                Coconut griddle cakes are easy to make. To feed one, (or to travel with...)

1/2 cup dessicated coconut, or powdered coconut, or 1/4 almond flour + 1/4 coconut powder
                1 free range egg
                1 tbsp coconut cream / milk
                Optional: 0.5 tsp cinnamon / splash real vanilla extract / grated nutmeg or all of those!

Just mix it all together, heat a griddle or heavy bottomed frying pan and fry gently in butter or coconut oil. This makes 4 diddy cakes.
                I must confess to my palette these do not taste especially coconutty, but they are extremely satisfying and are great vehicles for honey, almond butter etc. At home I serve them with bacon and eggs or warmed froz mixed berries (cheap!) for breakfast. Hope you like them
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread55701.html

Comment

wildwabbit & Nibbler - Thank you so much for the feedback on the chocolate. I think I am going to check Walmart here and see what they have. We also have Food Lion here in NC that has an extensive health food section and Harris Teeter does at well. I will check both of those as well.

Nibbler - For those coconut griddle cakes, where do you get coconut powder from? Can you just put shredded coconut in a blender to get the powder or is it something special you have to buy?
                  Dena

Victoria Principal

Comment

A lot of airports have Chilis...they have chicken wings.

Comment

This obviously won't help right now, but The Counter (burger joint) will be opening up locations at LAX and the San Diego airport in 2012

The Counter : Custom Built Burgers : Coming Soon

I've heard San Francisco has some decent options as far as food is concerned, but again--sit-down places are your best bet.

Atlanta has a sit-down place that isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but will get you really good food if you need it. One Flew South -- Restaurant & Bar -- Hartsfield Jackson

Seattle had a few options last time I was there that were GF (I wasn't paleo then, but I did have to avoid gluten like the plague), though it's been two years since I went home and couldn't tell you what's available now.
                      My blog (primal after 8/5/11).

Comment

Biltong South African style has a vinegar curing stage that jerky doesn't have. Preserves and tenderizes. Good stuff.

Comment

I can tell you what to avoid... Dallas Love... literally the entire airport smells like Cinnabon. No joke... the smell of cinnamon rolls permeates the entire terminal.

New Orleans (MSY) has a stand that sells alligator sausage I've had a couple of times..
                          "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
                          - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Comment

Originally posted by blueballoon View Post
                            This obviously won't help right now, but The Counter (burger joint) will be opening up locations at LAX and the San Diego airport in 2012

The Counter : Custom Built Burgers : Coming Soon
                            I have been to The Counter in Reston, and I was able to order a reasonably primal meal without going off menu. They offer your choice of protein (beef, chicken, turkey, or a "vegetarian patty") in your choice of sizes (1/3, 2/3, or 1 pound), and you can get it on a bed of mixed greens instead of on a bun. Then, there are lots of interesting toppings you can put on it, including lots of vegetables, hot peppers, applewood smoked bacon, and a fried egg.

The 2/3# burger on mixed greens was great. The 1/3# burger on greens left me wanting fries.

I *hope* that the airport version of the restaurant is as accommodating. Often airport menus are dumbed down versions of the real thing.

Comment

BWI .... Southwest Terminal...... Silver Diner.... Rasberry, Mango Spinach Salad with Salmon.... has a Rasberry dressing, with loads of spinach, cranberries and mango. F'ing great!
                              Living the dream, inside a myth

Comment

Not sure if this has already been mentioned - but Starbucks is pretty great for flying. There's (at least) one in every airport, and they now have fresh fruit, almonds (get the unsweetened), cashews (if you do cashews), and black coffee/tea! I usually spend WAY too much money getting all of this (it's insanely overpriced), but it's just about the only thing in the airport without additives.

All other places that offer on the go things might have salads, but they have breading/soy/preservatives added.

The airports restaurants also typically offer an overpriced, not so great burger. Order w/o bun, and generally they don't cook it in any oil (although you can ask).

Comment

Working...
                                X