What the Hell is wrong?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the Hell is wrong?

Okay so I have posted about this before, but now I am really lost. I had great success on losing weight and maintaining it back in june/july. Then I slipped off the wagon and ate all kids of things I shouldn't have. I got the bloat and horrible pains, but no real weight gain. What I mean by no real weight gain is that I would get water weight then the next day I would be back down to my original weight or sometimes lower. Now granted I was eating dark chocolate, multi grain cheerios, cookies, ice cream and the sorts. What I don't understand is that despite the horrible feeling, I did not gain weight.

So now here I am going back primal and being strict about it and I have gained 6 pounds since going strict. I weighed less eating crap. Now I eat real food and weigh more. What gives? In a typical day I eat this:

Breaky- 4-6 strips of bacon, and 3 eggs fried in bacon grease
    lunch- 8 oz. beef loin with about 2 cups of boiled brussel sprouts
    dinner- 8 oz. beef or chicken with about another 2 cups or more of brussel sprouts, broccoli, or other green veggie, or carrots sauted in coconut oil.

If I snack it would be in the afternoon and it may be a few hardboiled eggs, or carrots. I rarely snack though. And before being so strict about primal I ate crap and weighed so much less and has better body composition. I weighed 120 and now I weight 127-128 depending. Someone please help me out here. What am I am doing wrong this time?

What are your workouts like? Are you following Mark's fitness regimen?
    Bamaphotopro - Wedding & Portrait Photographer, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Age 56 - Quad Bypass Survivor, Sept. 16, 2005
    Went Primal - 8/22/2011 - 218 lbs.
    9/13/2011 - 206 lbs. (Wife Noticed!)
    Next Goal - 200 lbs. - Leaner & Stronger

http://www.momentsnoticed.com

Facebook Personal Profile (Friend Me!):
    http://www.facebook.com/Bamaphotopro

Facebook Pro Page (Be a Fan!):
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Moment...C/111048610165

Comment

Originally posted by Bamaphotopro View Post
      What are your workouts like? Are you following Mark's fitness regimen?
      I do not follow his workouts. I'm not really working out much at the time being. I chase after my two kids all day and carry them around. When I do workout though I workout with weights. I take walks sometimes with the kids. My body is still re-adjusting to primal food and ridding my body of sugar and other yucky stuff, so energy is not as high as it should be. I guess I'm worried because I have gained 6-8 pounds just while switching back to primal from my traditional junk diet.

Comment

How long has it been? A week or two or longer? It always takes me a week or two for my body to adjust to this and start to drop weight. BUT I drop inches like crazy. Try drinking more water and give it another couple of weeks. And take some measurements to see if inches are coming off.

Comment

17 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Originally posted by Primetimegirl View Post
            I do not follow his workouts. I'm not really working out much at the time being. I chase after my two kids all day and carry them around. When I do workout though I workout with weights. I take walks sometimes with the kids. My body is still re-adjusting to primal food and ridding my body of sugar and other yucky stuff, so energy is not as high as it should be. I guess I'm worried because I have gained 6-8 pounds just while switching back to primal from my traditional junk diet.
            Don't worry about working out right now. You are indeed getting the same workout as your grandmothers since when they were swinging in trees. MORE Get your rest. That is just as important as exercise.
            Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

I've been really strict too and I'm somehow up two pounds! It just doesn't make sense. But I trust that there are fluctuations in water weight (near my TOM and I'm lifting heavy so I assume there is some muscle repair going on) Just keep at it. Worst case scenario - you always have junk to fall back on.

I also thought I'd add - for someone who only weighs 120 it seems like you're likely eating more calories than you need. By what I calculate in fitday - you're getting close to 2000 calories a day. You're eating a lot of protein you likely don't need. Maybe eat more veggies!
              Last edited by Kenzington; 09-21-2011, 09:10 PM.

Comment

That is an awful lot of bacon....is that every day?
                Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Could be you just don't need to look at the scale. Are you getting fat, or just heavy? Extra weight could be higher muscle mass, bone density, I don't know. Measure your waist, hips and thighs and go from there.

Comment

4-6 pcs bacon and 3 fried eggs in bacon grease - a lot food, fat - calories. Try 2 pc bacon, 2 eggs and mushrooms. Have a salad with your protein at lunch and the Brussels sprouts at dinner. You may have been eating less junk calories and hence no actual weight gain.

Comment

i see, actually, an aweful lot of food there in general. i mean, i'm thinking it's probably way more calories than you need. so, i would consider -- since you aren't getting the prescribed movement (not that you arent' getting good movement, it's just not being calculated at this point, or tracked, so some days might be more than others, and it might all be less or more than you think it is), I would probably go and see what the caloric intake is, and then cut it by 200-400 calories and see where that gets ya.

i'm finding myself on a strange schedule of one meal plus one small snack (fruit and nuts) on one day, and then the next day is two meals and no snack. lots of water and tea. don't know how I ended up here, but it's working. I've got about 1600-1800 cals on a given day, following primal guidelines. I'm resting more, working on getting vit D, and going to roller derby 1-2 times per week.

Comment

I agree 100% with everyone else! You're eating too much so you should starve yourself! We all know that's how you lose weight!

Comment

1. Where are you in your menstrual cycle? I tend to temporarily gain anywhere from 1 - 5 pounds starting up to two weeks before my period, and usually a few days before I get it the weight comes off. Perhaps this is simply monthly cyclical weight.

2. How's your water intake? I find that especially when I have saltier foods (love me my bacon!), I do better when I have more water to balance it out.

3. If you are overeating, maybe start with a portion-sized serving, and then when you're done, gauge how full you are. I find it's easiest to do this by finishing a glass of water after my meal. If I'm still hungry, I eat more. If not, I do dishes.

Be wary of Old Thinking Syndrome (OTS, natch): Last night, I overate because I finished leftovers of 6 beef/pork/veal meatballs with 1/2 cup of spaghetti squash and amazing sauce. I would have been fine with 4 or 5 of the meatballs, but no, I wanted to finish the leftovers. "Finish the leftovers!" "Don't let the leftovers go to waste!" Dumb way of thinking! They were tasty, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed them. But I would have been full after 4 or 5 of them. Didn't need the sixth.
                          F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

LOL to steaknchop! I think it's your body getting back on track, I don't see a problem with your calories at all.

Comment

Originally posted by bionicsamm View Post
                              LOL to steaknchop! I think it's your body getting back on track, I don't see a problem with your calories at all.

I'm glad at least someone sees things the way I do. The sad thing is, is that there are some days that the mentioned food is not enough and I want to eat meat all day long.

For the other posters, I am no where near my time of the month. Just got off of it actually. I typically do not notice much water weight gain anyhow. I have in fact gained weight but not many inches. Maybe a quarter inch around my hips, but 1.5 inches in the girth area. I have noticed it in the way my clothes fit too. They are a little snugger. And for those who said that's a lot of food. Well I will put it to you this way, I actually ate WAY more meat and veggies than that back in june and july and lot the same 7 pounds I just put back on. So, I'm confused. I eat less and gain weight. I eat junk food and I lose weight or maintain. I eat strictly primal and gain it all back. It's just frustrating. Besides I thought it was mostly about insulin and hormone balance? Am I wrong?

Comment

Working...
                              X