Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use a calorie counter? Example fit day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caveman Mark View Post
    I'm curious to see how many people use these programs, and if you think it Hurts or helps your progress. I am stalled right now and I wonder if I am focusing on this app I have or not. Thanks

Mark
    I use MyFoodDiary.com which does change a small fee per month, but no advertising etc. Many people on Primal recommend against tracking, I've posted about it before in this forum and I've been told "trust the process", just chill out. Doesn't work for me, I need to know what's going on, it helps me understand why I stall etc. The key I think is to not get too obsessed about it. Don't obsess over every calorie, nutrient etc. be honest when you enter the data but don't get hung up if one day it's a little high. Much depends on your personality.

Bit of shameless self-promotion here, but I wrote a blog post on the topic of tracking and obsession. Just my thoughts:

N=1 Optimization: Unhealthy Obession?
    My Self Optimization Blog

Comment

Oh my gosh! Thank you for this - paleotrack is amazing!!

Comment

I use sparkpeople.com but have changed my nutrition pie chart goals to 50% fat, 25% carbs, 25% protein. Its interesting... I'm eating about the same ammount of calories as i was, but I'm actually losing weight now!

Comment

I use the one associated with the BODYBUGG :: WELCOME because I have a bodybugg and subscription from CW weight loss efforts. I find it really useful to make sure I'm eating enough protein and to keep my carbs under control (or at least have a better handle on how many which foods have). I also find the calories burned part of the equation really interesting. I'm an engineer, and I love graphs, and this system creates some neat graphs.

This post has a great summary of calorie counting in the primal world.
          My Primal Journal

Comment

Droid app Calorie Counter by FatSecret. Way easier on your phone if you have a smart phone.

Comment

Originally posted by pdovers View Post
              I have to track calories because I am a food addict. When I read that there is no need to count calories as long as you stay 80% primal my reaction is - oh boy, you don't know how much I can eat! I use fitday to plan my meals and stay close to my daily caloric needs.
              EXACTLY! Same for me
              well then

Comment

I started tracking on FitDay when I started primal, just to keep a rough track of how I felt when I ate certain things, what amounts of fat vs protein vs carbs made me feel good, bad, weak, energetic, etc. Now I feel like I have a pretty good handle on what I should or should not be eating, but I still track because it's become a habit. I don't worry about it, though - I just enter what I've eaten that day and move on. I HAVE been pleasantly surprised a few times, though - I've had a few heavy fruit days where I thought my carbs would be through the roof, but they were still below 100g. So that made me happy.
                Life is short. Eat Beef!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

I tracked on fit day when I started primal, maybe about the first month. Now I track one week about every 3 months just to check my progress. Once in a great while, if I've eaten an extra ton of food or something new/unfamiliar to me, I'll log that day just to see how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                  X