RE: Primal Hair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IvyBlue View Post
    Look at someone's eyes, hair, nails, skin, teeth and gums as well as how well they move and you can tell a lot about their health. A lot like horses
    This cracked me up! It is very true though - you could tell from a mile away that I wasn't healthy. Dull skin, dull eyes, crappy hair, no nails....great way to attract a mate let me tell you
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
      @jammies: how are you incorporating bone broth into your life? Are you just drinking it, or putting a bit into other cooking, or what?
      Bone broth has become my new fast food Here is my confession though - I started making it a lot because I was buying chicken and boiling it for the dog! I got sick of spending all that time cooking just for him, so I started buying bone-in chicken for him and then buying a few necks and back and throwing it in while cooking his meat in the crock pot. He gets the meat (well, I guess most of it. I keep the broth (strained, but not defatted) in a jar in the fridge. I heat it up with frozen veggies and any type of meat (sometimes the chicken I cooked for the dog - but hey, it is organic dark meat chicken!). I also love to just drink a hot cup of it for breakfast or with dinner. Somehow it just nourishes me in a way other food doesn't. Beef broth make with beef bones and marrow is another great one, but I don't like it straight as much. I use it for beef stew, soup, or I throw a little in with my cauliflower mash. Good stuff!!
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Comment

Originally posted by JKC View Post
        Jammies - you are awesome - you started a few months before me, and you are giving me hope for me having thicker hair again too
        I hope it helps for you too! I had really sort of given up on it, but now I have hope again. I guess in a few months I'll see if it holds up. I have to say though, that I think this started more when I added in liver and bone marrow. Can't be sure though, but I'm not taking any chances and will keep eating these every week In fact, I am going to order the US wellness liverwurst today to make sure I keep eating offal.

Comment

Offal sneak-in via US Wellness liverwurst, FTW! (And try the braunschweiger, too, jammies -- it has more organs (more variety/broader nutrient spectrum) and I think it's even yummier than the liverwurst.)

FYI for anyone who has all the money in the world and/or is lazy: US Wellness makes and sells grass-fed beef bone broth straight from the famous Nourishing Traditions recipe. (LOVE this company. I'm thrilled that they are doing so well.)
          "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Stories about women re-growing hair on primal/paleo make me happy

Liver/marrow/broth are occasional for me, but this has inspired me to make it more of a regular thing (possibly with the help of U.S. Wellness). Do you ever use store-bought gelatin powder?

I noticed that my hair is a lot wavier now, when it used to be straighter. But I think that may also be because it is in that growing-out phase of the insufferable flippy ends. And possibly also because I stopped using chemical-laden hair products in favor of Indian herbs and apple cider vinegar. In the short-term my hair doesn't look as voluminous, but I know that in the long-term it will lead to healthier, thicker hair.

Comment

I have been starting to use gelatin powder. My bone broth, although I am sure it is nutritious, usually doesn't get too jellyish. I am making a gelatin with orange juice and gelatin powder and eating it almost every day it is helping to bring me up on the amino acids I don't normally get on the mostly muscle meat that I eat.

Spakesneaker - how are your iron levels? I am still working at getting my ferritin up - last I checked, a few months ago, it was still only around 25, so that is likely part of my problem with hair too. I am supplementing, but it is taking a while to get up there!
              Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

I've been making really firm jello with tea. I call it edible iced tea. I just use some lemon or lime juice to soften the unsweetened unflavored gelatin then add hot strong tea (I like Rooibos).

Jammies, I am so glad to hear that your hair is coming back with a vengeance. Post some pics when it gets longer.

Comment

Spakesneaker - how are your iron levels? I am still working at getting my ferritin up - last I checked, a few months ago, it was still only around 25, so that is likely part of my problem with hair too. I am supplementing, but it is taking a while to get up there!
                  Ferritin was in the 30's about 5 months ago. Had a blood test last week but don't have a copy of the results in front of me yet. I hope they are at least in the 50's by now.

I'm also supping with alternating biotin/maxi-hair, natrol shen min, sometimes silica, and, more recently, MSM. (yeah, I know, it seems like overkill. But I figure the worst that could happen is that I have spent some money unnecessarily. And my hair grows in length almost not at all without these supplements). I noticed less shedding after starting the MSM. It was less than 20 hairs, today, for example, even though I was 'picking' at my scalp last night (a bad habit of mine).

Comment

EEEnteresting - I may end up looking at the MSM.....
                    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

Originally posted by spakesneaker View Post
                      Ferritin was in the 30's about 5 months ago. Had a blood test last week but don't have a copy of the results in front of me yet. I hope they are at least in the 50's by now.

I'm also supping with alternating biotin/maxi-hair, natrol shen min, sometimes silica, and, more recently, MSM. (yeah, I know, it seems like overkill. But I figure the worst that could happen is that I have spent some money unnecessarily. And my hair grows in length almost not at all without these supplements). I noticed less shedding after starting the MSM. It was less than 20 hairs, today, for example, even though I was 'picking' at my scalp last night (a bad habit of mine).
                      Interesting....I have also added in a MSM supplement a couple times a week to try to help firm up my skin a bit. Perhaps that is what spurred the hair growth? Or maybe a combination of things?

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                        Offal sneak-in via US Wellness liverwurst, FTW! (And try the braunschweiger, too, jammies -- it has more organs (more variety/broader nutrient spectrum) and I think it's even yummier than the liverwurst.)

FYI for anyone who has all the money in the world and/or is lazy: US Wellness makes and sells grass-fed beef bone broth straight from the famous Nourishing Traditions recipe. (LOVE this company. I'm thrilled that they are doing so well.)
                        Thanks TigerLily - I am changing my order to more braunschweiger, less liverwurst. Maybe some day I'll invest in the stock too

Comment

I have been starting to use gelatin powder. My bone broth, although I am sure it is nutritious, usually doesn't get too jellyish. I am making a gelatin with orange juice and gelatin powder and eating it almost every day it is helping to bring me up on the amino acids I don't normally get on the mostly muscle meat that I eat.

I bought gelatin powder, but after one dose I got a rash on my face - I'm sure it was co-incidence, but I'm too afraid to try it again. My bone stock in super gelatinous, so I think I am getting gelatin anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                            Interesting....I have also added in a MSM supplement a couple times a week to try to help firm up my skin a bit. Perhaps that is what spurred the hair growth? Or maybe a combination of things?
                            There is some information at the LongHairCommunity forums about MSM helping hair grow (and also being good for nails and skin), probably by reducing the time period in which each individual strand of hair is in the shedding phase, but possibly also by helping it grow longer and also spurring new hair growth. Apparently it's best for it to be a dose of larger than 4g daily, and it takes a week or two to kick in. I think it's been about three weeks since I've started.

Comment

+1 MSM. I am taking 6 g orally (for my skin), plus soap and lotion. I'd never put two and two together until just now, but the MSM surely has something to do with my sudden Sasquatch legs and pits when I'm used to being a hairless Chihuahua. I started MSM in either late June or early July-ish(?)
                              Last edited by TigerLily; 09-22-2011, 08:41 PM.
                              "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Working...
                              X