Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jens522 View Post
    Hi all,
    Anyone want to share ideas about If, carb refeeds and etc to get us to lose the last few pounds or change body comp? We can share workouts, diet ideas and whatever else. This isn't a thread for those looking to shed lots of weight, but rather for those near their goals and want to fine tune things. I am struggling to lose this last bit of fat and can really gain some guidance from others.
    Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness
    I Heart Powerlifting (And I’m Not Bulky Or Masculine) | Blisstree
    “BODY BY SCIENCE” — ESPECIALLY FOR WOMEN

Comment

Originally posted by Waskydiver View Post
      Nonsense?

OK... I have an open mind...

Describe this metabolic effect in which a change in 560 caolories can result in a loss of 21,000 calories of FAT. Do you actually know of a metabolic process which would make this happen, or are you just assuming that one person presented an anecdotal scenario, and therefore all complex organisms must behave according to this unknown principal?

Absent any empirical data, doesn't it make more sense to assume that PERHAPS the weight would have come off even if the 560 calories of artificial ingredients continued?

If someone says: I dyed my hair white, and the absense of pigment made me lose 6 pounds of fat, should we all go and dye our hair white?
      You're completely missing the point. It seems that some of the industrial foodstuffs are metabolic disrupters, causing the body to respond differently to the other inputs. Consideration of the input numbers is pointless when changing intake of such disrupters. My basic point is that the artificial sweetener could well be such a disrupter
      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I'm wondering if the coconut milk/oil is the next thing I should implement....I use coconut milk in curries etc but haven't branched out farther.
        The great thing about it is that it was a painless change - I am not a fan of olive oil flavor anyway (except on grilled veggies), and never had a hang up on dairy. A small dessert dish of coconut oil with cocoa powder and lemon juice is pretty much an exact equivalent of what I did with quark. I think going dairy free really helped me in one regard - no cheese binges! I am also thinking it might have helped with my erm... bladder control (sorry for sharing!!!)

I think that O3:O6 is worth looking into & trying out, it might be significant.

My gum was up to 7-8 pieces a day, plus about a tsp-tbsp of Splenda as a sweetener in smoothies - I think the result won't be drammatic but it is most definetly a good move. I was getting disgusted with gum chewing. And to think of that I have never chewed gum before that CW weight loss.

So, my 3rd day of no gum just dawned, wish me luck!
        Last edited by Leida; 09-10-2011, 05:07 AM.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I was under the impression that eating something sweet starts an insulin response (even if there are no actual sugars) so its not the amount of calories (I thought we were way past calories here) in the popsicles, it's the amount of calories in the meal you just ate before you had that popsicle, gum etc. Perfect example are the fat people drinking diet sodas.

Comment

I love the staci article. I don't care about the scale if I could look like her, but certainly not anywhere close to that.

Comment

I feel the same re the Staci article! Body comp project at this point...such slow going.

So, I will try coconut oil/ milk. Re artificial sweeteners, it has been commented on many times here and other places - I don't have a link to the studies but perhaps someone else could supply one? Basically it was inconclusive at best and not verifiable and the test subjects were given way more than what a normal person would consume. I still worry and speculate about it though. Did anyone ever try dreamfields pasta? That was always my go-to in my orig low-carbing days, now I've cut it out completely. It was a similar thing where I just didnt know HOW that could be possible - that it wouldn't spike my insulin - and yet taste so damn good. But I did have success on it or at least was alright using it as a re-feed tool after tough workouts, so maybe the difference wouldnt have been big anyway. in both cases (sugar substitutes and "altered" or engineered carbs) I decided this time around to cut them out and leave less variables in the way. can't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by peril View Post
                You're completely missing the point. It seems that some of the industrial foodstuffs are metabolic disrupters, causing the body to respond differently to the other inputs. Consideration of the input numbers is pointless when changing intake of such disrupters. My basic point is that the artificial sweetener could well be such a disrupter
                And, in my original post, I acknowledged that eliminating artificial anything is always a good idea.

But, absent ANY empirical evidence, attributing the loss of 6 pounds of fat in two weeks to the elimination of artificial sweetners is misleading at best.

Chances are the OP tried a bunch of things to break the stall... eliminating artificial sweetners being the last. That doesn't mean that that was what broke the stall. In fact, the stall may have broke without ANY additional effort or tweeks.

It's like saying that whenever you loose something, you always find it in the last place you look. Therefore, since I found my lost shoe under the bed, whenever you loose something you should look under the bed first.

Comment

I do chew a lot of trident. Like two packs a day a lot. I guess I have an oral fixation. I'm going to try cutting back and see if anything happens.

I also wonder if I should cut back on the metabolic conditioning stuff. I just like lifting and intense, short metabolic stuff. Never is right. Ugh

Comment

I've found that upping my "moving slowly" always helps me drop that last couple of pounds.

I usually walk 1.5-2 hours daily with my dog, but when I up it to 3 hours or more (gentle hiking, errands around town in walking distance), my metabolism seems to ramp up significantly. House cleaning, gardening, etc does the same. Seems to be linked to duration for me.
                    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I love the staci article. I don't care about the scale if I could look like her, but certainly not anywhere close to that.
                      I think Staci is athletically gifted compared to an average woman. I am trying to emulate her, and was doing very similar things for the second year now, diligently, dogedly, never giving up, but I have been stalling on my lifts, instead of progressing lineary past body weight marks the way she did. I improve much, much, MUCH slower than her on the lifting numbers, and the looks (for comparison, my numbers vs Staci:

SQT: me: 125 lbs 5 reps (Staci is over 200, I assume, they did not quote her SQT)
                      OHP: me: 68 lbs 5 reps was my max, it is lower now; Staci: over 100 lbs
                      BP: me: 81 lbs for 5 reps (FINALLY, after about 6 month trying to get over 80 lbs); Staci: ~ 150 lbs?
                      DL: me: 175 lbs for 5 reps; Staci: an AMAZING over 300 lbs deadlift (HOLY COW!!!!)

It took me over a year to get to a body weight SQT and I am lucky if I add 3 lbs to my bench press in 3 month cycle, etc. It also is worth noting that Staci started adding calories gradually, she did not jump into eating 3,000-4,000 calories a day when she was just starting out (the article says she started with increasing to 1,500 (assuming her level was about 1,200 when she was 117 lbs).

It is obvious that no woman would care how much she weigh if she looked the way Staci does, but I am wondering if she ever had to fight an intermediate 'fat' phase, or she managed to grow muscule without ever seeing fat % go up. If you look at her diet, it is not restricted. She takes whey (i.e. dairy), tubers, fruit, even raisins & bananas - but i wonder if she did it when she was deadlifting 90 lbs, not 315 lbs.

That's the biggest problem for me - I try to eat to support lifts, the lifts would go up a little, but BF will go up much faster than the muscule mass (generally it is normal to go up 50-50% in men. In me, a women closing to 40 yo it is 75:25 fat to muscule). That's my biggest challenge, to eat enough to gain muscule but not fat.

I do not want to live a body-builder lifestyle, bulking up then cutting, because my life is not a succession of preparatuon to competitions. I just want to look muscular and trim enough every day, but not super-duper-greatest-competioin ready for one month every half-a year, and plump for the rest of the year?

Anyone has the same issue/worry?

P.S: Started supplimenting 5 HTP on Saturday, hoping for reduced cravings for sweets and fruits (even though NOT intending to eliminate fruit).

Artificial sweeteners free - success so far!
                      Last edited by Leida; 09-12-2011, 05:43 AM.

Comment

I definitely feel the same way you do, Leida. Right now I am taking BCAAs before a workout and see if that helps at all with my workouts and trying to follow the leangains protocol a little more closely. I, too, never want to be in that cutting/bulking cycle. I just want to be lean w/some muscle definition goddammit!

I am working on cutting back the gym, but it's hard! I can't even chew gum, what's left??

Comment

I agree with you both completely, Jen & Leida! It is really slow-going at this point, and that is frustrating, but I have been trying to also cut back on the gym...I've noticed I was able to lift so much more giving myself proper rest but I feel sort of weird about it. I don't know what the magic mix ratio is yet of rest, lifting, dynamic stuff and cardio (not to mention diet!) but trying to work out the jigsaw puzzle nature of everything...

Comment

Originally posted by Nocciola View Post
                            I agree with you both completely, Jen & Leida! It is really slow-going at this point, and that is frustrating, but I have been trying to also cut back on the gym...I've noticed I was able to lift so much more giving myself proper rest but I feel sort of weird about it. I don't know what the magic mix ratio is yet of rest, lifting, dynamic stuff and cardio (not to mention diet!) but trying to work out the jigsaw puzzle nature of everything...
                            More rest is important for those heavy lifts. I stupidly did too much overhead work this weekend and it really affected my heavy thrusters I was trying to do this morning. Tomorrow will definitely be more endurance type stuff. I can't really rest either! Mentally I need something.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocciola View Post
                              I've noticed I was able to lift so much more giving myself proper rest but I feel sort of weird about it. I don't know what the magic mix ratio is yet of rest, lifting, dynamic stuff and cardio (not to mention diet!) but trying to work out the jigsaw puzzle nature of everything...

Comment

Well, I am sort of forced now into more play less gym by my new crazy schedule, I will see if it helps & let you all know. Right now, I am hoping 3 Madcows heavy lifting, 1 shortened KB and super-short HIITs (15-20 min) on a bike or with fins ~ 1x a week (only if rested) and the rest is play.

With dropping gum, I am trying to create a new habit of pleasent stretching isntead (like shoulders and neck)

Comment

Working...
                                X