Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Satiety is real! I just had to stop eating a bowl of beef!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Satiety is real! I just had to stop eating a bowl of beef!

    I always thought satiety was a myth that people handed around. And while I no longer experience cravings for starchy carbs, I haven't felt the "full" switch flip on so strongly as it just did. I usually eat until I notice discomfort or pain in my abdomen. Note that I have been adding muscle and losing fat for quite some time this way. But just now, all of a sudden, MY FOOD SEEMED UNINTERESTING!!! I know nothing changed between the last bite and the one I didn't take, but as my fork was lifted from the bowl, the delicious oily aroma of the beef tallow puddle at the bottom suddenly just smelled gamey, and the meat (which I put into my mouth anyway by habit) seemed dry and inedible, though just seconds ago it was perfectly chewable and oily. Is this what full feels like? Does it really take most of a pound of beef to flip my switch? Seriously, there are about two bites left.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

  • #2
    Its the strangest feeling, isn't it! I don't get it very often still, but every once in a while I do. Its amazing Suddenly it makes sense to me how people can leave two bites at dinner, or only have a fork or two of something.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

    Big Fat Fiasco

    Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

    Comment


    • #3
      This has been happening to me since I started with this way of eating. The amount it takes is slowly decreasing, too! Just all of a sudden it is just like someone just threw the "off" switch and I don't want to eat any more. It's an amazing thing for someone who used to consider herself something of a bottomless pit whenever I *liked* something.

      Comment


      • #4
        On one hand it's a good thing, on the other hand it is annoying. It happened the other day when I was eating breakfast. One bite of egg left, and I couldn't bear the thought of placing it in my mouth. I wasn't full; my body just rejected the idea of having any more. That one bite of egg became the most disgusting thing in the world.

        Comment


        • #5
          Holy! Something like this happened to me last night too. I thought I wanted something to eat, so I made a few things and nothing tasted good so I just tossed it all because I thought something was wrong with my food LOL. Opps!!

          Comment


          • #6
            This has never happened to me in the 2.5 months of primal. I guess its because I only ever fix as much food as I know I can/want to eat. But I always have to force myself not to raid the fridge after I'm done with my plate. Case in point: had an 8 oz burger last night with two portabella buns, two slices tomato, heap of lettuce, half an onion, and a handful of grapes. I finished it, which should have been enough for me. Instead I kept popping grapes all night and came back later for half an avocado. I don't entirely buy the whole "your body will tell you when to stop" mechanism, because I could drink a whole can of coconut milk or jar of almond butter without feeling full fast enough.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah, it's cool, no? I hate when I only have a couple bites left, though, and I have to push my plate away from me because even the smell will make me queasy.

              Comment


              • #8
                Never happened to me either. I have to make myself to go brush my teeth AND put my retainers in to stop foraging. That's why I do fasting. Because when i start eating, I can't stop.

                Like yesterday, I came home for lunch, thawed about 100 to 200 g shrimp, had them with primal ketchup and 2 apples, cucmber lemonade and STILL was hungry and did not have will-power to tape up my mouth before I was through at least 3 tbsp of nut butter. One would think I wouldn't want a dinner after all that food, but NOOO! I still had a heap of steamed veggies and like 4 oz of roast and watermelon and like 2 tbsp of coconut cream with cocoa powder, and kicked my butt upstairs with 1/2 cup of frozen berries. STUPID APPETITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Last edited by Leida; 09-09-2011, 07:37 AM.
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                Comment


                • #9
                  This has happened to me quite often in the past month or two. At first I thought there was something wrong with me then *lightbulb*!
                  Georgette

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CoS View Post
                    Case in point: had an 8 oz burger last night with two portabella buns, two slices tomato, heap of lettuce, half an onion, and a handful of grapes. I finished it, which should have been enough for me. Instead I kept popping grapes all night and came back later for half an avocado. I don't entirely buy the whole "your body will tell you when to stop" mechanism, because I could drink a whole can of coconut milk or jar of almond butter without feeling full fast enough.
                    Originally posted by Leida View Post
                    Like yesterday, I came home for lunch, thawed about 100 to 200 g shrimp, had them with primal ketchup and 2 apples, cucmber lemonade and STILL was hungry and did not have will-power to tape up my mouth before I was through at least 3 tbsp of nut butter. One would think I wouldn't want a dinner after all that food, but NOOO! I still had a heap of steamed veggies and like 4 oz of roast and watermelon and like 2 tbsp of coconut cream with cocoa powder, and kicked my butt upstairs with 1/2 cup of frozen berries. STUPID APPETITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    You guys sure it's not because all the sugar you're consuming? I find that once I eat something sugary, the satiety factor from the fats I just ate goes down the drain.

                    This is true especially when I'm eating nuts/seeds. Those carbs just make me keep on going, whereas I could totally be satisfied with 200 calories of coconut vs 200 calories of nuts.
                    My chocolatey Primal journey

                    Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Nope, I was worse off on a Anabolic Diet doing 60 to 70% fat (BLEH!!!). Not only I was starving like mad (and nobody belived I was!!!), I was also severely depressed because of the lack of fruit. I think nuts contribute to the problem, that is why I taped my nut container shut yesterday. There is simply very limited food options to get you full without having to endlessly cook mountains of meat. I have a family of 3, and a 4 lb roast barely lasts 2 days, so I can't just eat the leftovers, because what will my husband and child have for dinner? All natural ham is expensive, and that leaves eggs. And Omega 3 eggs are super-expensive too. Veggies and fruit are cheap.

                      How much sugar do you think 1 lemon, cucumber & egg whites contribute, seeing you highlighted my cucmber lemonade?

                      Oh, and I am just as hungry after eating 200 g liver and onions fried with coconut oil, eaten with cauliflower mush and having coconut cream with coco powder for dessert.
                      Last edited by Leida; 09-09-2011, 08:18 AM.
                      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                        You guys sure it's not because all the sugar you're consuming? I find that once I eat something sugary, the satiety factor from the fats I just ate goes down the drain.

                        This is true especially when I'm eating nuts/seeds. Those carbs just make me keep on going, whereas I could totally be satisfied with 200 calories of coconut vs 200 calories of nuts.
                        +1

                        If I have grapes/berries/fruit or date-nut bars I can't stop eating. If it's just meat and veggies, I get full and stop eating. They're just not that appealing after a while.
                        Prodistat
                        Poke it quickly, with a stick.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Well, then fruit really is evil...I had an apple for breakfast and a kiwi at lunch, piece of organic chocolate for a treat, and just popped grapes all around dinner. I think the benefits of the fruit/cocoa far outweigh whatever damage the sugar did. And if we're supposed to be listening to our bodies, why don't we interpret craving for the natural sugar of fruit as a sign that our body needs/wants more of it? Is that really a bad thing?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If I have grapes/berries/fruit or date-nut bars I can't stop eating. If it's just meat and veggies, I get full and stop eating. They're just not that appealing after a while.
                            Nope, I can keep eating and eating the meat and veggies (I can eat half a head of cabbage easily), it's the price tag of meat that stops me. Like when people say how they can go on 2 eggs for 4 hours... I am like... Frack, I won't even notice it.
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Leida View Post
                              How much sugar do you think 1 lemon, cucumber & egg whites contribute, seeing you highlighted my cucmber lemonade?
                              Idk, I didn't know the ingredients and assumed you did something like add grapes to it, as I've seen in a recipe in a thread other than this one.

                              Originally posted by Leida View Post
                              Oh, and I am just as hungry after eating 200 g liver and onions fried with coconut oil, eaten with cauliflower mush and having coconut cream with coco powder for dessert.
                              Maybe not enough fat? ^^;;;; Although I would totally agree that everybody's body is different, so you are probably one of those people that need some carbs to keep going.

                              I also disagree that veggies and fruit are cheap. How is $1/lb apples cheaper than $1/5 eggs if you're going to eat the two or three apples? Veggies also are full of water, and although nutrient dense, aren't very filling by themselves.
                              My chocolatey Primal journey

                              Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X