Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Satiety is real! I just had to stop eating a bowl of beef!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CoS View Post
    Well, then fruit really is evil...I had an apple for breakfast and a kiwi at lunch, piece of organic chocolate for a treat, and just popped grapes all around dinner. I think the benefits of the fruit/cocoa far outweigh whatever damage the sugar did. And if we're supposed to be listening to our bodies, why don't we interpret craving for the natural sugar of fruit as a sign that our body needs/wants more of it? Is that really a bad thing?
    Well I personally don't crave sugar unless I start eating it, which is why I avoid eating it in the first place. But like I said, everybody is different
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

also disagree that veggies and fruit are cheap. How is $1/lb apples cheaper than $1/5 eggs if you're going to eat the two or three apples? Veggies also are full of water, and although nutrient dense, aren't very filling by themselves.
      Because I live in Canada, and the eggs are $3.70 per dozen, and apples just came from BC freshly picked & our store manager has a fantastic habit of putting veggies and fruit on 50% off sale the moment it looks a bit too ripe or have a tiny brown corner (great as a digestion aid!). I only buy fruits and veggies that are in season or on sale, so it is really cheap. And, to get comparably full to eating 2 apples, I'd need to eat about half a dozen of eggs minimum. Fat doesn't make me full, it makes me feel sick. So, I try to be more Paleo than Primal. All our grass-fed meat is bought & stored in the freezer directly from the farmer for the year. I believe that fruit is far better for me than nitrate and salt filled bacon, even if I could face eating bacon.
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by CoS View Post
        And if we're supposed to be listening to our bodies, why don't we interpret craving for the natural sugar of fruit as a sign that our body needs/wants more of it? Is that really a bad thing?
        I think binging on fruit is natural, but not necessarily good. In the wild fruit is clustered together on trees and it's only available for a short time each year. So if we happened to find a ripe fruit tree, we evolved the urge to eat it all and fatten up for winter (I'm just guessing, I don't really know).
        Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Comment

Originally posted by Laconophile View Post
          I think binging on fruit is natural, but not necessarily good. In the wild fruit is clustered together on trees and it's only available for a short time each year. So if we happened to find a ripe fruit tree, we evolved the urge to eat it all and fatten up for winter (I'm just guessing, I don't really know).
          And some hunter-gatherers didn't get a good kill (fat/protein) for two weeks or so, and had to live off of berries and nuts in the mean time. Plus humans evolved in a various different locations, so I'm not sure that argument holds up.

Comment

Yes, Cordaine's book has a discussion of varios pre-agricultural diets, and they range from all meat& fat to pretty much all nuts and roots. A human being can be healthy and vigorous on the variety of foods. The key idea in Primal/Paleo imo is avoiding the processed and tinkered with foods as much as possible, as well as avoiding the foods that disagree with your system. Fat disagrees with my body as violently as grains or dairy does for other folks. So I eat more carbs and less fat. I also noticed that the more I tried to limit fruit, the worse I was eating, and the more I tended to over-eat & crave grains, artificial sweeteners and processed. About the only bad thing I still crave now is nuts (haven't craved cheese lately, yay!). It just doesn't make sense to make oneself sick trying to get healthy. Once I clean up my diet from nuts, I will strike my ideal: veggies, fruit and grass-fed meats diet with an occasional table-spoon of honey or maple syrop. Hopefully, then, I will finally have a normalized appetite. Or maybe I never will, but at least I won't be starved the way I was on CW (still have a trauma from that)! I am trying to push my fasts now to 18 hours, and then 22 hours will be my next goal.
            Last edited by Leida; 09-09-2011, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Leida: regarding not feeling full, have you tried the leptin reset? I've had some success with it. It's been three weeks for me, and my hunger and satiety seems to be returning. I used to be able to eat and eat and eat and eat. Now I get full at mealtimes. I still get ravenously hungry a few hours later, but I figure that may sort itself out in time.
              Prodistat
              Poke it quickly, with a stick.

Comment

Husband remarked on this a few months after I started Primal: that I was often leaving food on my plate. I'd had enough, so I stopped. Obvious - except I'd never done that before in all the time he'd known me.

Interesting thing is that after eating all the leftover chicken plus vegetables I wanted, I still had to slap down an impulse to go find some sweet crap. The desire to eat sweet stuff seems completely independent of hunger.

Comment

the desire to eat sweet stuff seems completely independent of hunger.
                  this!
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

It took almost 6 months of being Primal for me to have my first feeling of satiety. It was a massive light bulb moment! Since then, it has happened only a few times, I normally stop eating when I feel "not hungry", but I could eat more. Every once in a while tho, I experience that "I'm done eating" feeling, and its wonderful.
                    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Leida: regarding not feeling full, have you tried the leptin reset? I've had some success with it. It's been three weeks for me, and my hunger and satiety seems to be returning. I used to be able to eat and eat and eat and eat. Now I get full at mealtimes. I still get ravenously hungry a few hours later, but I figure that may sort itself out in time.
                      No, and I won't. It looks too much like Anabolic Diet, and I did very badly on it. I believe that my appetite will gradually normalizes as I eat natural and feels right/good foods, without stressing about macros and calories. I think not being full is psycological for me after 1.5 years of 'succesful' CW and then experimenting with calories restrictions even when on evolving better diets. One gotta try everything, and I know that moderate carb/moderate fat is much more acceptable for me than high fat/low carb. At least for now. Maybe I will gradually develop more tolerance for fat. Who knows.
                      Last edited by Leida; 09-10-2011, 05:24 AM.

Comment

This just happened to me this morning. I was eating breakfast and I literally have 4 bites of it left. I think I've had the feeling quite a few times, but didn't recognize it or know what to do with it until the past couple of days. I've always just pushed through and finished what I made, since I've always counted my calories as I served them up, not as I ate them. "It's only 400 calories. I should want it."

Now I'm bagging up my bacon, eggs, and guacamole and I'll add this as a nibble to dinner I guess.

Comment

For me it takes a grand total of three pounds of food.
                          In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Working...
                          X