Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thirsty all the time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thirsty all the time?

    Whenever I start eating more protein and cutting carbs, I feel thirsty and drink way more water than I used to. Is this normal?

  • #2
    yea, you're good.

    Comment


    • #3
      Has anybody experimented with adding SALT to water? I was watching a video by the guy that runs MobilityWOD and he said sometimes water "doesn't get absorbed" all that well if it doesn't have some salt or some product he seemed to be suggesting (though not selling) I can't remember what the product was...
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
        Has anybody experimented with adding SALT to water? I was watching a video by the guy that runs MobilityWOD and he said sometimes water "doesn't get absorbed" all that well if it doesn't have some salt or some product he seemed to be suggesting (though not selling) I can't remember what the product was...
        i haven't, but i've heard of this before...and i use a fair amount of salt on my food. i think the salt is one of the reasons pedialyte and gatorade are good for hydration. the whole electrolyte thing is really about proper hydration and balance. the salt helps the body absorb the fluids for proper hydration. i'm sure the sugar gives a temporary boost too, but isn't really necessary.
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

        Comment


        • #5
          Try adding some lemon and a pinch of sea salt to your water (as mentioned above)... will keep you more hydrated and you won't feel thirsty all the time.
          $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

          "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire


          For nutrition/wellness tips:

          http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

          www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Keep in mind increased thirst is a side effect of ketosis, which may or may not be desirable depending on your goals.

            Comment


            • #7
              A line from Animal House comes to mind

              Bluto: My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
              Otter: Better listen to him, Flounder, he's in pre-med.
              http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

              Comment


              • #8
                +1 to Bluto:-) "They took the Bar"...
                Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

                Comment


                • #9
                  My carb intake is still around 100 grams a day, I thought you had to be a lot lower than that to be in ketosis?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by girlhk View Post
                    My carb intake is still around 100 grams a day, I thought you had to be a lot lower than that to be in ketosis?
                    It's different for everyone, plus your activity level can affect it. It's generally said below 50g net carbs (the number you get after subtracting fiber) is the sweet spot.

                    Also this is a shot in the dark, but maybe getting too much protein could cause this? I just know that low carb and low fat can cause weird side effects, not sure if thirst is one of them but I wouldn't be surprised.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Going low-carb tends to deplete electrolytes, so yeah unless you're replacing them in your food or water you're going to need more, which the body interprets as thirst -- it's not that the electrolytes help the water get absorbed. In fact it's the glucose in Gatorade and the like which speeds up absorption, but the electrolytes are necessary for the function they serve.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You might check your blood sugar as extreme thirst is also an indicator of diabetes.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                          You might check your blood sugar as extreme thirst is also an indicator of diabetes.
                          I was just talking to a friend who has this symptom and thought the exact same thing. If adding more electrolytes to your food and/or drink doesn't help, definitely get your glucose checked, and not just fasting glucose (which is the last to deteriorate) but 2-hr post-prandial.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by AndreaReina View Post
                            I was just talking to a friend who has this symptom and thought the exact same thing. If adding more electrolytes to your food and/or drink doesn't help, definitely get your glucose checked, and not just fasting glucose (which is the last to deteriorate) but 2-hr post-prandial.
                            Buy a cheap generic glucose meter at Walgreens, test fasting blood sugar, then eat 60-75 grams carbs (a bagel), then test at 15, 30, 45, 60, 120 and 180 minutes.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              if you are drinking a lot of water but just pee it out and still feel thirsty all the time, i think you have an electrolyte imbalance. this happened to me in my first week of PB. in my case i needed sodium, which i determined by sprinkling a bit of salt onto my hand and eating it straight up, and it tasted delicious rather than "wow that's salty".
                              It could also be a different electrolyte, but i think if potassium or magnesium is lacking then you will get muscle cramps. Note: i am not an expert.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X