Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Being healthy is physically unattractive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dado View Post
    why is long hair hassle in pool
    Spoken like someone who has obviously never had long hair!!
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
      That is awesome. If I wasn't already happily married to an awesome woman, I'd be looking for someone with that kind of attitude.

Also, I'm a dude and I have super-long hair (like 24" or something, middle of my back) because it's metal. I obviously don't care what other people think too much or I would have cut it shorter long ago.
      \m/

I could never grow my hair now, but for a while I really wanted to.
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by alexgrace View Post
        And this is where I would deviate from Choco's argument. People cannot accept responsibility for their own actions if they, deep down, do not believe they have any real control over the actual consequences of those actions. I would argue that years of following CW in all manner of fields can create that psychological result. How can you claim responsibility for your actions when every time you choose to do an action, the result is wildly different from what it is supposed to be, according to TV/magazines/government bods/nutrionists/teachers/lecturers/parents et al?
        This is SO true. Coming from the standpoint of a lifelong chubby girl, when you do everything that you are SUPPOSED to do within reason (I have never believed humans should need to spend hours in the gym daily and count out miniscule amounts of calories) you really start to begin thinking that it's just destiny and there's nothing you can do about it. I am SO THRILLED I stumbled on primal, but the only reason I actually took a serious look was not for weight loss, but blood sugar control for my pregnancy. Weight loss has already been a result (I am now almost 7 months along and weigh less than I did at 3 months when I started primal) and I have now figured out that it wasn't that I was doing it wrong, or didn't "want it" bad enough, or being lazy, or whatever people accuse the chubby folk of, but I realize now that I was simply doing as I was told by people and sources that are supposed to be the experts but that it was WRONG the whole time.

It feels like a huge wake-up call, but looking back I just don't think that there's any reasonable way I could have expected myself to know better than to trust what the government, diet authorities, doctors, and every other authority figure on the matter said.

I just recently converted my parents to primal (yay!) after staying with them for a week and doing the cooking. My mom has battled blood sugar problems her whole life and that first day of primal, she had no problems. The funny thing is, she didn't really eat much in terms of carbs, she always ate lots of veggies and lean meats but for the last 30 years she's bought into the teaching that dietary fat is bad. So, all her protein would be lean and she'd only eat a minor amount of fat each day. So I loaded her up with dietary fat and guess what? Her blood sugar is stable and she's losing weight. I can't tell you how blown away she was that all this time, she just could have been eating more fat and not had these blood sugar crashes. But after so much teaching of the WRONG way, you really do start to think "Maybe it's just me" or "I just am not capable of being anything but overweight" or "I'm just not eating enough HEALTHY WHOLE GRAINS (lol)"
        Uncle Dutch Farms - my bloggy home.
        My review of the Piteba oil expeller - handcranked expeller to make fresh nut oils, coconut oil, etc. Yeah, I love this thing.
        My favorite kitchen tools - The Homesteader Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
          Men are programmed to like long hair for evolutionary reasons. Long hair shows a history of health in a very obvious way, much like fingernails or teeth. Skin and body health show a more recent recent history of health. Similarly, shaving a women's head is, in most places, a really drastic measure for really terrible reasons- she's crazy, or she dishonored herself and the family. Without hair, how can she attract a man?
          I cut my hair super-short (like a boy) when I got freaked out and depressed by it thinning due to hormonal reasons. It suited my face when it grew out a little bit, but when it was still super-short I could have avoided looking as butch as I did by dressing better (but I was at my heaviest weight and super-depressed, so I just wore baggy clothes whenever possible instead; sometimes I feel repulsed looking at photos of myself from back then). Before that, as a teenager, I had the longest, thickest hair because my mom forbade me from cutting it, but I was all anti-feminine and hated it and hated having to comb it and dreaded washing it. I never appreciated it then, but I wish so much that I could have it back now. I'm trying to grow it long (happening very slowly with the help of tons of supplements, I don't even want to think about how much $$ I've spent on these) and thick (*blink* I don't really think the thin spots are filling in yet. I would happily gain 10 pounds for my hair back), but it is a frustrating endeavor.

Comment

Originally posted by Enamel View Post

I see so much crap about how girls have it harder because they have to look nice for guys, how they have to wear makeup, etc. No you fucking don't. You can if you want to, but it shouldn't be a competition - it's so saddening when people are constantly picking out 'flaws' of other people to stoke their own ego. Don't be like the people in paleo_hailey's post, i.e. "I'd rather be a real woman than a thin one"
            The rules are only real if you let yourself follow them. Do shit for yourself, don't let ~*~standards~*~ make you pointlessly bitter.
            Girls don't have to wear makeup but should make some effort to look nice. You do it for yourself but it's also about attracting a mate. This is normal. Guys should make an effort too.

Comment

No offense, but doesn't the whole evolutionary argument that long-hair = health sort of eliminate entire races as "healthy"?

I love wearing make-up, stilettos over my work boots any day, but I do it because I feel "hot" in them, not for some man. I couldn't care less if a guy likes it. I like it...that's ALWAYS enough

My husband prefers my hair a longer version of short, but I prefer my men tattooed, pierced and full of muscles....looks like we're both losing out ROFL!

Comment

no, since "long hair" is also relative. i mean, wooly hair *can* grow out, and be very long, it just takes a different amount of time than non-wooly hair.

and, culture has a huge impact on things. eg, i know in samburu culture, a married man wears his hair short, but warriors wear it long (prior to marriage). it shows the person's status. i can't remember what the culture was around women. and it's an old culture. so, cultural differences do get 'hardwired' in, too.
                Last edited by zoebird; 09-09-2011, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Generally, I find people to be complimentary when i'm in better shape. There are those around me though, that criticize whatever shape i'm in- if I gain weight then i'm fat. If I lose it then I look 'ill' and am 'going too far'. (My weight has never flutuated 20lbs above or below my 'usual' weight of around 200lbs). I attribute this to tall poppy syndrome, as it's always easier to kick over someone elses ladder than it is to climb your own.

Although what constitutes attractive is a very individual thing, I think there is a general consensus of what attractive is for both males and females. The human animal needs to survive and replicate. In order for a human male to survive he needs to be able to catch food and fight. Therefore it stands to reason that women would find a toned, strong, athletic looking man attractive. A fat, or muscle bound man wouldn't be able to catch dinner and a scrawny man would struggle to fight off men from other tribes. Similarly, men look for women with good indicators of health and fertility which is why women with slender curves are considered more attractive than skinny or fat women.

Comment

I think it's just a matter of personal taste (and a bit of jealously mixed in). Personally, I don't want a guy who looks like a meathead and all he wants to do is work out for 2 hours a day and has to make sure he gets 300 grams of protein per day or whatever it is. I want a guy who looks athletic and healthy, but not like a bodybuilder. As for women, I think the perfect women looks athletic but not too muscular or masculine. She has curves and isn't skinny... just healthy... feminine.

Comment

I think there is a sociological argument floating around out there that we (and this may apply to specifically men) are attracted to mates that are most likely to improve our social status. So whatever traits are most valued by society at the current time are the most sought after. Therefore a very high ranking male who is fit, attractive and a good provider will be most attracted to a female that is highly valued as well.

So for example, in the current US environment this would make females who are thin, white (or perhaps asian), with perfect teeth, nice hair, clear skin, symetric features, etc. Whereas a man who is not very fit or attractive will seek females who only have one or two of those features -but will still be ranked more highly in stature than he is. There is a subconscious value ranking that goes on that determined attraction.

Not a very romantic (or politically correct ) to think or talk about dating, but I have to admit that the happiest most stable married couples I know are the ones where the men married women who were just a little better looking than them!
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

''Whereas a man who is not very fit or attractive will seek females who only have one or two of those features -but will still be ranked more highly in stature than he is. There is a subconscious value ranking that goes on that determined attraction.''

I think this is more a case of 'beggars not being choosers'. I think many of us inherently know where we are on the scale of attractivness and subconciously 'play in our own league'.

Comment

Wow. I'm exactly the opposite!

Comment

I find myself seriously questioning my perception of what thin, normal, and overweight are. I have been heavy my entire life. Most of my family is. My mother and brother, however, were very, very thin when I was a child. As an adult, my brother gained a lot of weight (weighed about 280ish max). Now he started running and WW (and he eats very conventionally) and is very thin again. At least to me, because I haven't seen him thin in a long time. At first, when I could see his cheekbones, I thought he looked too thin and like a cancer patient. Then I realized that he is likely normal weight (although his abnormal love of running 50-mile marathons is concerning to me). I have to reframe normal in my mind because I am so clearly deluged by overweight people in society today (including me and my husband).

Comment

Working...
                            X