Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30-Day Challenge Starting September 12, 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 30-Day Challenge Starting September 12, 2011

    HI! I was wondering if there is a place to discuss the 30-day challenge on the forum yet. If so, please post the link here. If not, could we discuss here?

    I've yet to go "fully" primal so I'm looking forward to it and I'm hoping to make some friends along the way!

    Mark's Post Announcing the Challenge with Links: Announcement: The 2011 Primal Blueprint 30-Day Challenge Begins September 12 | Mark's Daily Apple

  • #2
    Based on a quick glance through the boards, I don't see anything, so ... Let's discuss it here!


    I was suspecting the challenge would happen. I've been primal about 1.5 years (a little more now, I guess). Periodically, even without Mark's challenges, I do a month with no extra sugar and no grains. Otherwise, I just avoid them, but still eat out occasionally, or at friends' houses and drink or whatever. The only thing I completely avoid is gluten.
    So, I started my own, personal, 30-day challenge on August 30th. I'm very gung-ho about this challenge, though. I love the things he has us do: the picnics, the recipe-making. Last year was my first time, and I'm totally excited!

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm definitely in. I started yesterday, technically but I am still not doing the "moderation" thing for alcohol. I plan to cut it out completely during the challenge.

      Comment


      • #4
        Count me in! My parents have gone 100% primal and based on the changes they've seen in a month, this will be a great experience!

        Comment


        • #5
          My husband and I are in too! I've been pretty strict for a few weeks now but he's more recent so its good timing for us.

          I've seen big changes in my short time being primal so we're looking forward to it

          Sugar is my nicotine...

          Comment


          • #6
            I am going to have difficultly with the following:

            1) Not overeating protein. I should be at 84-96g of protein daily (according to MDA: How to Eat According to the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple). I regularly can eat around 130g if I'm not paying attention (this leaves me sluggish). When I eat more veggies, my protein level is more appropriate, so that is my focus.

            2) Keeping nuts and seeds under control. Sometimes when I start eating nuts, I just cannot stop. Literally. Until the nuts are gone (but I keep bulk quantities in the house so this is never good). I'm going to use nuts as a garnish, or not at all. I've read a lot of conflicting information on nuts and I'd rather err on the side of "less".

            3) Dairy. I use a little heavy cream and cheese on a regular basis. Some days I go overboard with sour cream, cream, yogurt, etc so I need to be sure my use is "in moderation".

            I guess they call it a "challenge" for a reason...

            I'm happy to have a place to vent all this out. I'm a recovering bulimic and grains/sugars are my only triggers (I haven't figured it out scientifically, but they are completely toxic to my mental health). Eliminating those has helped my recovery process 80%. The other 20% is keeping them eliminated I'm so happy to have this challenge and to have others to discuss it with.

            Comment


            • #7
              The timing is perfect! My kids are back in school tomorrow, I go back (again, I am 38) today. Gonna have to use the brain again! YAY! Bring on the challenge! I am SO ready! I really enjoy summer, and get a little lax, so it will be nice to get back on track!

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm in!!
                July 25 - 231.4
                Aug 25 - 220
                Sep 26 - 214
                Oct 26 - 208.8

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm really up for this. Bit worried about slipping up later on as I move to Canada on October 2nd - but sure I can sort myself out.
                  My Primal Journal

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm in as well, although I technically started a week ago. Currently going back-and-forth between carb flu symptoms (lack of focus, minor headaches) and feeling like I could punch a bear in the mouth.

                    Thankfully the challenge isn't overlapping with Halloween, as having 2-3 celebratory Laffy Taffys is critical to my mental well-being.
                    It's never too late to be who you might have been. -- George Eliot

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Have you been tracking your carbs by chance? I think the level of carbs on the border of ketosis is about 50g. So if you bounce up and down around 50g then (I think) you will be in a perpetual carb flu as you enter and exit ketosis repeatedly. I think it would be best to be consistently under 40g or over 60g for periods of time (however you define a period is up to you). When I go into ketosis, I usually get a carb flu for the first 2-3 days, which is why I'm asking - one week seems a little long. That is just my experience though, it is probably different for everyone

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'm looking forward to the extra push further into the lifestyle (mainly the moving part). We've got a few systems now for food and the like (although I still need to work on making breakfast easier for those woke up later the normal days).

                        Have meat in the freezer and some jerky in the dehydrator. I'm ready!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm like you, June, it might be a challenge for me to limit the amount of protein according to the blueprint. It doesn't help that I am guessing at my lean body mass weight. My calculations have me only at 63-74g of protein daily.

                          Ditto on the dairy, though I only use cream and Greek yogurt at this time, and perhaps the rare occasion of a small amount of cheese (bleu cheese or cheddar).

                          Still trying to figure out how much fat/day.... still reading......

                          Originally posted by June View Post
                          I am going to have difficultly with the following:

                          1) Not overeating protein. I should be at 84-96g of protein daily (according to MDA: How to Eat According to the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple). I regularly can eat around 130g if I'm not paying attention (this leaves me sluggish). When I eat more veggies, my protein level is more appropriate, so that is my focus.

                          2) Keeping nuts and seeds under control. Sometimes when I start eating nuts, I just cannot stop. Literally. Until the nuts are gone (but I keep bulk quantities in the house so this is never good). I'm going to use nuts as a garnish, or not at all. I've read a lot of conflicting information on nuts and I'd rather err on the side of "less".

                          3) Dairy. I use a little heavy cream and cheese on a regular basis. Some days I go overboard with sour cream, cream, yogurt, etc so I need to be sure my use is "in moderation".

                          I guess they call it a "challenge" for a reason...

                          I'm happy to have a place to vent all this out. I'm a recovering bulimic and grains/sugars are my only triggers (I haven't figured it out scientifically, but they are completely toxic to my mental health). Eliminating those has helped my recovery process 80%. The other 20% is keeping them eliminated I'm so happy to have this challenge and to have others to discuss it with.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            YES!!! jUST recently I'm getting back on eating primal...little by little I'm getting there! This is just perfect timing for me since I'm in college, freshman!! I am pledging to this challenge 100%!!!


                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Count me in!! I began 3 weeks ago, down 11 pounds already (to 207 lbs), and haven't even begun heavy lifting yet! So maybe I'll wait until the 12th to start that facet and watch things firm up even more!
                              Bamaphotopro - Wedding & Portrait Photographer, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

                              Age 56 - Quad Bypass Survivor, Sept. 16, 2005
                              Went Primal - 8/22/2011 - 218 lbs.
                              9/13/2011 - 206 lbs. (Wife Noticed!)
                              Next Goal - 200 lbs. - Leaner & Stronger


                              http://www.momentsnoticed.com

                              Facebook Personal Profile (Friend Me!):
                              http://www.facebook.com/Bamaphotopro

                              Facebook Pro Page (Be a Fan!):
                              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Moment...C/111048610165

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X