Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to Lose 20 pounds in a month!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need to Lose 20 pounds in a month!!!!

    Ok, so I have minor surgery in less then a month from now. They want me to drop 20 pound in a month.

    What would you do?

  • #2
    I would wonder why my doctor thought it was possible to safely and sustainably lose 20 pounds in less than a month.

    Comment


    • #3
      Well yes, I think the exact same thing, but I understand from there standpoint why the are requesting the absurd.

      Just so we are all on the same page, the surgery is for an inguinal hernia. I currently weight 210 (at the time of the forms, I guessed I weighted 200) they want a 20 pound reduction. I am 5'9 and very muscular. You would not think I was fat at all.

      Comment


      • #4
        that would be 5 lbs per week, for 4 weeks. i would seek a new doctor, or at the very least a second opinion! short of a medically supervised liquid diet, i'm not even sure this is possible. certainly not healthy!

        Comment


        • #5
          Yes - it is hard to imagine why a physician would want you to undertake such an extreme diet before undergoing surgery. Especially given that you are not obese. I would seek a second opinion on the weight loss.
          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

          http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by darkfault View Post
            Ok, so I have minor surgery in less then a month from now. They want me to drop 20 pound in a month.

            What would you do?
            Fatty Acid Oxidation
            How to Lower Your Blood Sugar

            Comment


            • #7
              That does seem pretty extreme...I would agree on the second opinion. Good Luck.
              Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

              Comment


              • #8
                Darkfault what's your body fat percentage? Maybe you just weigh a lot because as you said you are very muscular. The doc just looks at your weight and says you weigh too much not distinguishing between body fat and lean mass.
                If wanting to lose I would eat a good amount of protein at each meal in relation to your lean mass, 50-75g carb and moderate to lowish fat with calorie restriction. Some type of daily exercise. Experiment with what works for you. Not that you have a lot of time for experimentation. Protein shakes/replacement meals may be helpful. Whatever you do will be some kind of short-term fix not a lifestyle.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by darkfault View Post
                  Ok, so I have minor surgery in less then a month from now. They want me to drop 20 pound in a month.

                  What would you do?
                  Get a new doctor.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hi... I am new to this thread... I want to know that what is this thread all about.... and which is the particular topic that this thread is encircling ? I hope to get positive reply and then I shall be able to post accordingly ... Thank you so much in advance and looking ahead for more acknowledgement from you

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Losing that much weight right before surgery, especially when you're not obese, sounds dangerous. I've never had surgery before, but robbing yourself of nutrients and losing muscle from the kind of diet that could produce results like that sounds like it'd end up causing complications.
                      I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Eat a healthy primal diet with a big protien breakfast - like 50g if if you can. If hungry, eat lunch, if not wait til dinner. Diary and nuts slow some people down w/ weight loss, so avoid this when possible. Do easy exersise like walking, swimming, etc and work on lowering your stress. Take your suppliments like vit. D3, mag, etc. Work on being as healthy as you can before surgery. If you don't lose 20lb, will they cancel? Probably not as they operate on much bigger people all the time. If they do cancel, either find another doc or give yourself more time to lose the weight. DO NOT do some extreme calorie restriction or exersise routine as this will majorly kick in stress hormones and slow you down long run or leave you in poorer health for surgery. Do not snack between meals as this will keep insulin up and slow down fat burning. My two cents. Best of luck!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Heidi View Post
                          Losing that much weight right before surgery, especially when you're not obese, sounds dangerous. I've never had surgery before, but robbing yourself of nutrients and losing muscle from the kind of diet that could produce results like that sounds like it'd end up causing complications.
                          Talk about CW. You will not loose muscle while dieting down. Your muscles will look flat from dehydration and glycogen deplete but the same amount of fibers will be there. What happens when you break you arm and in your in a cast for 6 weeks? The muscles atrophy from inactivity but does not get lost. Once the cast is removed and you become active again the muscles return to there original size and shape. It's the same with dieting.
                          http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by kitoi View Post
                            Talk about CW. You will not loose muscle while dieting down. Your muscles will look flat from dehydration and glycogen deplete but the same amount of fibers will be there. What happens when you break you arm and in your in a cast for 6 weeks? The muscles atrophy from inactivity but does not get lost. Once the cast is removed and you become active again the muscles return to there original size and shape. It's the same with dieting.
                            You should probably look up the definition of the word "atrophy".

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by marqueemoon View Post
                              You should probably look up the definition of the word "atrophy".
                              I know exactly what atrophy is as I work in a orthopedic clinic and see this happen everyday
                              http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X