Feeling like an addict

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hazmat View Post
    I'm not convinced that sugar by itself is the problem. It's the combination of sugar and wheat that turns many of us into what I call drug addicts. Basically your life revolves around getting the wheat fix constantly. The big food corporations create frankenfoods made out of wheat, HFCS and vegetable oils. It's cheap to produce, tastes great and it's addicting.
    That is SO ME! I don't crave just sugar or just bread, I CRAVE THE DANGED PASTRIES!! I love donuts, cupcakes, brownies, etc. If I stay away, I'm ok. Just one bite and I'm like a druggie looking for a fix. I have to avoid it completely to stay sane.
    Success is getting what you want, Happiness is wanting what you get~Brother Dave Gardner

Comment

I find that for me personally I only get sugar cravings if I'm tired and hungry. Eating dead animals with lots of fat and veggies usually cure what ails me in that regard.

I'd just get back on the wagon and continue to grok it.

The cravings should go in a week or so, sorta like they did for me when I was starting out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jovana View Post
        Unfortunately in a few weeks I'm going Bar hoping with friends... it will be extreamely challenging to resist a cocktail mainly because of the social pressure.
        There are some more primal alcohol choices like wine.

Also, if your buds are getting pizza and you feel like there are no other options, order some Buffalo wings (even though they are most likely fried in soybean oil)--the sauce is typically made of butter and red hot sauce (you can even order them without the sauce if the only options are super sugary) and eat those. They are filling and may be a better feeling option for you than the pizza. (It all depends on how you react to grains/dairy and soy. I would prefer to eat soybean oil fried wings w/out sauce than gluten pizza w/ cheese as the second will leave me feeling AWFUL for days...) You could also always prepare yourself before going out by keeping primal snacks in your purse.
        My Before/After Pics
        Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Originally posted by Gweebles View Post
          That is SO ME! I don't crave just sugar or just bread, I CRAVE THE DANGED PASTRIES!! I love donuts, cupcakes, brownies, etc. If I stay away, I'm ok. Just one bite and I'm like a druggie looking for a fix. I have to avoid it completely to stay sane.
          Odd. I have no problem eating pastries and other "wheaty" stuff without setting off a binge, but give me a single piece of chocolate or a sip of soda and I'm screwed...

Soda (especially Coke) and chocolate are the two major triggers for me. Pretty much everything else is fine, except maybe chocolate pudding and vanilla sauce...
          Norak's Primal Journal:
          2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
          2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
          2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

Originally posted by Legbiter View Post
            The cravings should go in a week or so, sorta like they did for me when I was starting out.
            My (main) problem is not the initial cravings, since those you can get trough with sheer willpower. The real problem comes when you have a bite of chocolate cake at a birthday dinner after staying off sugar for six months.... You weren't really craving for the cake at the time, you just thought it would be safe to just have a small taste. After all, you haven't binged on sugar in months, right? Well, turns it it doesn't go so well after that...

I know, without a doubt, that I can force myself to go without sugar for 7 days or 30 days (and I've done so many times in the past), but go without sugar forever? Not so sure. Not even sure if I actually want that.

So, the real question I need to find an answer to, is whether it's actually possible for me to have an "every now and then" relationship with sweets or not. I still don't have the answer to that, but I'm starting to think it might not.
            Norak's Primal Journal:
            2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
            2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
            2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

Originally posted by norak View Post
              My (main) problem is not the initial cravings, since those you can get trough with sheer willpower. The real problem comes when you have a bite of chocolate cake at a birthday dinner after staying off sugar for six months.... You weren't really craving for the cake at the time, you just thought it would be safe to just have a small taste. After all, you haven't binged on sugar in months, right? Well, turns it it doesn't go so well after that...

I know, without a doubt, that I can force myself to go without sugar for 7 days or 30 days (and I've done so many times in the past), but go without sugar forever? Not so sure. Not even sure if I actually want that.

So, the real question I need to find an answer to, is whether it's actually possible for me to have an "every now and then" relationship with sweets or not. I still don't have the answer to that, but I'm starting to think it might not.
              This is how o combat it: I have a massive protein-breakfast, then lunch 6 hours later. If there is an occasion like a birthday on that day, I'm simply too full on fat and protein to be able o crave sweets, let alone eat it. That's what the reset did for me, in short it was the massive breakfast that abled me to quit sugar.

I agree on wheat being a culprit too. It is a trigger-food or me, because bread alone could send me off binging. I still have sweets, but it's 85% chocolate and it's only 20-30 gr every forth night. I can live with that, and it doesn't give me cravings or headaches.

Comment

Still feeling crappy and tired since going off the rails - struggled in the gym last night but managed to finish - not craving as much though - guess i just have to eat right and wait it out ...

Comment

Working...
                X