Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eating all those carbs..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Eating all those carbs..

    After starting the primal diet, my hunger has nearly vanished. I only eat when i'm hungry. I find it quite easy to get all my food from protein and fat, with little need for eating carbs to keep me satisfied. Is there anything wrong with not meeting the 50 - 100 carbs a day? Aside from getting all my vitamins, minerals, antioxidants.. which i feel i get adequate amounts.

  • #2
    hey, if you feel good, you're good.

    consider mark's posts on carb re-feeds and also, tell us, what do you do for the physical fitness? if you do not do much action you will not require many carbs.

    Comment


    • #3
      Restricting carbs can cause you to produce natural stimulants which give you a lot of energy and alertness, as well as suppressing appetite. If you are constantly in this hormonal state, the positive effects may dissipate over time. So then dozens of people come in here and start threads asking why they stopped losing weight, why they suddenly feel like crap, etc, and many of them feel better adding some more carbs in and are able to continue losing weight by doing carb re-feeds.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hello dado. I get moderate low cardio as my full time job requires a lot of action and easy movement. I've only just begun low carbing about 5 weeks ago, and am working on getting in some heavy lifting in my daily routing. I'm not looking to gain a lot of muscle, just drop some pounds and get healthier. Thanks for responding

        Comment


        • #5
          I try to keep my carbs under 30 (productive toward my diabetes. We like good fasting sugars), but on the weekends I let loose and carbs creep up to about 50. I think it helps, and maybe you should consider having some higher carb days. Let your hair down once in a while. It's okay (and fruit is fan-freaking-tasty!)
          --Trish (Bork)
          TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
          http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
          FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Each person is different, and that even changes over time. If VLC/ZC is working for you, great! But don't be afraid to try changing your strategy if it stops working.
            Lifting Journal

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
              Each person is different, and that even changes over time. If VLC/ZC is working for you, great! But don't be afraid to try changing your strategy if it stops working.
              +1!
              My Before/After Pics
              Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

              "I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

              Comment


              • #8
                I would think that the only thing to watch for, and this is not an issue for everyone, but it is a potential risk, is that there is a possibility of inducing hypothyroidism with ketosis range carbs. If you have any thyroid issues to start with, I would monitor more closely - or if it makes you feel really low and slowed down I might try upping carbs a bit to see if it helps.
                Karin

                A joyful heart is good medicine

                He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

                Mmmmm. Real food is good.

                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

                Comment


                • #9
                  Also, the level of carbs that works at one point in your life may not work at another. Don't be afraid to try switching things up when they don't work anymore.
                  Durp.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JKC View Post
                    I would think that the only thing to watch for, and this is not an issue for everyone, but it is a potential risk, is that there is a possibility of inducing hypothyroidism with ketosis range carbs. If you have any thyroid issues to start with, I would monitor more closely - or if it makes you feel really low and slowed down I might try upping carbs a bit to see if it helps.
                    JKC, I feel like I read another poster mention this, but was wondering if you have any links to studies etc. on this? I'm interested.
                    My Before/After Pics
                    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

                    "I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Barry Sears, who originated the Zone diet, which recommends that 40% of calories come from carbs (with the remaining 60% divided evenly between protein & fat), regularly speaks out against going too low-carb; here are a couple of links to that perspective:

                      Dr. Barry Sears "uncovers" low-carb dangers, in favour of the Zone diet! : LC Research/Media Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums

                      Dr Barry Sears on the Zone Diet and Weight Loss

                      I wish I had Sears' book handy; I recall a whole section in which he explains the biochemical problems with consuming too few carbs in the long term...

                      And, here is Mark's post on "How Many Carbs Should I Eat Each Day?"
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...ate-continuum/

                      0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning

                      Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.
                      Last edited by healthseekerKate; 09-05-2011, 09:30 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Did we ever really decide that ketosis was bad, even for more than a couple of days? I was under the impression it was fine and ketoacidosis was harmful. I know I hear people, even in the medical profession, confusing the two constantly.
                        Durp.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                          Did we ever really decide that ketosis was bad, even for more than a couple of days? I was under the impression it was fine...
                          This is what I've read as well (that ketosis is fine/not harmful), but there are certainly folks who have concerns about long term ketosis even in the paleo community. (You could look into the Perfect Health Diet for one perspective on that.)

                          I do think its an issue of individual needs, listening to your body and tweaking things to make sure what you're doing is working for you, and continually reassessing as time goes on. Like others have mentioned, our macro needs can and sometimes do change with time etc.
                          My Before/After Pics
                          Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

                          "I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by FairyRae View Post
                            JKC, I feel like I read another poster mention this, but was wondering if you have any links to studies etc. on this? I'm interested.
                            They mention it on the perfect health diet website - this post Perfect Health Diet Carbohydrates and the Thyroid discusses issues around carbs and the thyroid - they have had a few posts about it recently.
                            Karin

                            A joyful heart is good medicine

                            He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

                            Mmmmm. Real food is good.

                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by FairyRae View Post
                              This is what I've read as well (that ketosis is fine/not harmful), but there are certainly folks who have concerns about long term ketosis even in the paleo community. (You could look into the Perfect Health Diet for one perspective on that.)

                              I do think its an issue of individual needs, listening to your body and tweaking things to make sure what you're doing is working for you, and continually reassessing as time goes on. Like others have mentioned, our macro needs can and sometimes do change with time etc.
                              I think the +/-'s of ketosis long term are debatable, and probably varies from person to person. For me, ketosis was great for a time, but then I needed starches to maintain my activity level and mood.
                              Lifting Journal

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X