Where to buy meat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy meat?

Alright well no doubt that grass fed meat is expensive, so just wondering where everyone gets theirs? I might have to resort to solely getting grass fed meats with produce being from regular stores at these prices. I've seen some places online that ship, although it would be nice to have a whole foods in this area (I'm home on leave). Thoughts? I know Target had some grass fed beef, not much but I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

I'm sorry to rub salt in your wound but I must just say..God bess New Zealand!!! I just got back from a number of any local supermarkets and bought a free-range chicken for ten dollars for Christmas dinner, scotch fillet steaks for 17.99 a kg and fresh beef mine for 7.00 a kg...all grass fed, because New Zealand doesn't sell grain fed beef! What an amazing country. I don't know where to buy grass-fed beef in the US however, maybe google your town or county and see if there are any local farms who sell out? Good luck, it's worth it.

Comment

Look up your locale here:

http://www.eatwild.com/

You might have some sources in your back yard! Get in touch with a local rancher, do a little digging, hope you can score local Primal foods! A freezer can be a good investment so you can load up on a bulk purchase of grass fed beef (or other?). Don't forget to ask for the liver, heart, tongue, oxtail, marrow bones, etc...

Comment

It's a matter of "work smarter, not harder." Look for a deal, a connection. Talk to people who know people.

In my case, my parents work with a guy who's starting his own boar farm. He buys hay from a guy in the area who has pastured beef. We buy beef, split the cost and the meat, and get a deal. The farmer has a guaranteed sale, so he's willing to give us a break.

Additionally, when we had the cow butchered, I asked that the butcher save the liver, tongue, and heart, as well as kidney fat for rendering. To my surprise, he also kept the livers, tongues and hearts of other beef he processed. It's defnitely worthwhile to get to know your butcher.

Connections, connections, connections.

Comment

I second New Zealand, wonderful meat products.

When I buy at the grocery here I look for that new zealand beef logo.

Comment

Target sells grass-fed beef?? I had no idea. Make sure it's completely grass-fed and not grass-fed and grain-finished. I've heard the grain-finished ones not much different than the grain-fed but cost more.

I used to get mine from the farmer's market, but now that it's winter, I had don't have access to them until summer. I recently found "vegetarian-fed free-range" chicken in Trader Joe's. Not sure if they are any better than organic vegetarian fed but I bought them anyway. Eatwild that Acmebike suggests is a good source. Find out if there is a local "Halal" store, sometimes they carry good meat too, but ask to make sure that it is grass-fed.

Comment

I buy from US WellnessMeats

Comment

http://www.localharvest.org/ is another site that could help you find a local source of pastured/grass-fed meat. Support your local farmers and help them keep the land in agricultural use!

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
                On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

Thanks all, sadly "organic" is a new word around this city apparently. Which is kinda sad, there isn't one organic store I've found yet, but I may have to do a lot more digging around. Target seels "Lauras beef", which is apparently a mix of grass and grain fed, which isn't the best but I'll look more into it. If it's true that it's grain fed, then I'll just get regular meat. There are no farms in this area, and most people would give me a dirty look if I said "grass fed" anything. This city is still living in the stone age.

Comment

Actually, it is too bad your city really isn't in the Stone Age. Everything would be natural and pasture raised!

Comment

I get my meat from Trader Joes... They sell 100% grass fed beef.

Comment

Haha, they're in the "grain age" then, you know, just as they started going bad. Anyways this is the beef I bought:

http://www.laurasleanbeef.com/index.html

I'm still unsure about it since she says "natural grass and grains". Thoughts? Seems like they don't sell grass fed beef here. I found one organic store, but they only had ground beef as grass fed. I'll buy some, but not much I want to eat in ground beef form. So what would be my best choice? Would the Laura's beef be better than traditional meats, or am I just wasting my money?

Comment

Laura's beef may not be the best. She says "grains" as well as grass fed, and unlike most other grass fed sites she makes no claims about the CLA factor or why grass fed is actually better. So I'm thinking she either has no clue, or it doesn't apply to her cattle. Either way I took the plunge and bought $130 worth of grass fed beef. Tropica traditions had 50% off on New York strip steaks, so I bought 2 of that package. TT has always been a top company for me, high quality stuff and I expect no less from the meat. It's grass fed, and they even mention "grass finished", and they don't have their cattle during the winter. So they only eat dry grass. So that's good. I might just end up buying my meat online through them, and just skip Whole foods altogether, might end up saving some money this way as well.

Comment

I'll have to dig up the post, but I was reading an older post from Dr Eades (at Protein Power) that 95% of the battle, in regards to omega 6/3 balance is eliminating the industrial vegetable oils and processed foods from the intake. Eating fully confined, hormone injected, grain fed beef is a blip on the screen in comparison.

But still, I'd think your $130 grass fed beef splurge is money well spent!

Comment

I spent $988 on 288 pounds of grass fed beef (a pretty big side!) at the end of October, so that's $3.43/pound I also got 5 huge bags of bones and fat, fat for rendering into tallow and bones for my dogs. The family I found was just a small operation, the husband and wife have "day jobs" but they raise about 15 head of cattle on their pastures each year. The cows are about 18 months at slaughter, and they go straight from the pasture to a local butcher. I was lucky to find such a good deal, and will likely buy from them again next year (they only process in the fall, as is the normal cycle for beef). They even delivered everything to my house!

You might not have a family like that within 30 minutes of you, but you just might have someone within a couple of hours! It's definitely worth it to look because you might find an amazing deal, and because you'll be supporting local ranchers rather than big producers.

You are what you eat,
                              and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Working...
                              X