Being Healthy Is Apparently Socially Unnattractive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by davem View Post
    Well, maybe he's posting the links and saying, "If you don't do this, FOAD! Chumps. See you whales in 40#."
    Thanks Chaohinon! My blog is basically just me writing down what I had for lunch, how I'm feeling and generally how it's working for me. In no way, am I really being a preacher to them.I don't post things such as, "I'm Primal, Beatch!" They just assumed I'm eating extremely healthy, which I am. Of course I'm proud of being primal and I'm not going to hide that because I think being healthy is a beautiful thing.

The girl that started the commenting is someone I barely know, which is why I was taken back by it a little. Even more so when other people and even my mum who commented, agreed along those lines with them, it freaked me out lol. So when I quizzed the girl about it, she said it was better to be ugly and happy. It's something that's come up a lot before.

I had an ex girlfriend who I lived with, we spent over 70 a week on takeaways, it was that bad I even knew the delivery guy's first and last name lol. When I realised what I was doing to myself, I went on atkins and my ex became extremely negative about my choice and we drifted apart from that.

Of course, I'm not worried about peer pressure, I'm just really curious as to why in my culture it seems the majority think being healthy means huge sacrifice and how it affects your social life. Maybe, because I'm growing to be more health concious, i'll gravitate and attract more healthy people in my life? I'm curious to know what your experiences have been.

P.S Staci is HOT! If only I were 150 pounds lighter haha!
    Last edited by ChasePaleo; 09-02-2011, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Pha! I love the replies to this thread. Super funny and so spot on. I too recently blogged about a conversation with a friend who had this notion I would harm my patients with my newish lifestyle.

Cut and paste snippet...
      ...She is concerned I may not be flexible enough to help people change. Also, I am apparently to over enthusiastic about my new changes. She is also concerned that I don't eat any chips (taken out of context for the absurdity value). What she said was " I am concerned that you are becoming obsessed and cutting down on too many foods. I mean what can you even eat here? (we were at a restaurant) Me: " I can have a salad or a steak, a burger or soup." Her: " Yeah, and that's it you can basically eat salads, that's not enough. I mean what do you have with dip, zucchini chips?" Me: " Why do I need chips? Are you suggesting I would be healthier if I ate chips?"

So, ChasePaleo, not a cultural thing but a human nature thing. Keep up the awesomeness and link your blog so we can lurk!

Anyhoo, she is now slowly turning over to the primal way. Just goes to show, words mean less than results.
      http://www.cppsych.com/

http://glutenfreenp.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh Chase, Staci could break you in half! <3

People hate it when their friends change. They will always try to drag you back to the "you" that they know and love. Often they think it's just a temporary phase you're going through, so the sooner they can get you back-to-normal the better.

Sometimes you can carry your friends along with you, though they'll usually lag behind which can be frustrating. Sometimes they refuse to budge, and you just need to get new friends. Such is the human condition.

also, I cracked up at whoever said, "But apparently cake is more important." So true!

Comment

This stuff also has a lot to do with the simple fact that shitty food generally tastes pretty good. Who among us can say we don't sometimes want to just pig out on all this fake, horrible for you but still relatively tasty shit? That's the issue, people can't wrap their heads around not eating those things. So YOU are the freak because of it. They aren't seeing this food as just unhealthy but as utterly delicious* with a side of unhealthy.

* I don't think they're "utterly delicious" with few exceptions (nutella, melt it down and drown me in that sweet brown sauce) I'm talking about the general population.
          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
            When you start winning, those who are not will try to bring you down.
            And when they can't bring you down, they start avoiding you. I think the healthy mirror you've become is too much for them to face.

Comment

This thread reminded me to go look back at the post on Gnolls.org "Eat Like a Predator". From the concluding remarks of that post:

"Now that you’ve been eating like a predator for some time, you are discovering that when you eat like a predator, and play like a predator, you start thinking like a predator. Stupid people aren’t annoyances: they’re profit centers. Fat people are no longer disgusting: they’re delicious. And nothing is more important than being able to trust your packmates, so it’s time to cut loose all the leeches, layabouts, whiners, and malcontents—and it’s long past time to start valuing the solid, dependable people whom you can trust.

You will stop giving your time, love, and strength to those that demand it, and start giving it to those who deserve it. You will understand that ‘love thy fellow man as thyself’ doesn’t apply to someone with his hands in your pockets or his gun in your face, no matter whose authority they claim. You will have compassion for the herd as it moos and bleats, for you were so recently one of them yourself. And you will share your knowledge, because you understand that our real enemies are the predators who hoard this knowledge for themselves, the predators who profit so handsomely from our fear and ignorance—and from our indiscriminate love, whose endgame is the crazy cat lady dead in her condemned house, corpse devoured by the creatures she fed in life.

Comment

Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
                "Now that you’ve been eating like a predator for some time, you are discovering that when you eat like a predator, and play like a predator, you start thinking like a predator. Stupid people aren’t annoyances: they’re profit centers. Fat people are no longer disgusting: they’re delicious. And nothing is more important than being able to trust your packmates, so it’s time to cut loose all the leeches, layabouts, whiners, and malcontents—and it’s long past time to start valuing the solid, dependable people whom you can trust.

You will stop giving your time, love, and strength to those that demand it, and start giving it to those who deserve it. You will understand that ‘love thy fellow man as thyself’ doesn’t apply to someone with his hands in your pockets or his gun in your face, no matter whose authority they claim. You will have compassion for the herd as it moos and bleats, for you were so recently one of them yourself. And you will share your knowledge, because you understand that our real enemies are the predators who hoard this knowledge for themselves, the predators who profit so handsomely from our fear and ignorance—and from our indiscriminate love, whose endgame is the crazy cat lady dead in her condemned house, corpse devoured by the creatures she fed in life.
                Damn! I think I'll cross-stitch that and have it framed.

Comment

Okay, the reason why some friends start acting like jerks is simple: when you are unhealthy and all of your friends are unhealthy, it's socially acceptable to sit around and say "Wow, wallowing in being unhealthy and saying 'This just is how I am' is how we all do it."

But when someone breaks from the pack, turns their life around and is making progress, it makes the ones left behind feel like crap. They no longer have the excuse or the moral support. It CAN be done - they're just not doing it. And that feels like crap.

This is all assuming we don't have any preaching going on. Preaching is obnoxious, no matter what side of the nutritional aisle you sit on.
                  Durp.

Comment

Recently, I have started up a blog with my primal/paleo journey and I share the links on Facebook. A few women I know that are overweight started discussing to me how what I'm doing is highly extreme and makes doing social things extremely difficult. Within minutes it attracted the attention of the other women, they shared their opinions "Why can't you just eat sensible" "Being a health freak is unnattractive" "Health concious people are so annoying."
                    You've heard the story of the crabs in a bucket, haven't you?

Comment

Look at it this way: my buddy posts photos and stories of his mountain-climbing adventures all the time. What if I were to rage at him about how, "hey, maybe we don't all like to climb mountains! Extreme mountain climbers are socially unattractive! I'd rather be down here at ground level than having fun with stupid rocks!"
                      Exactly! People are so strange as to labeling what is logical and what isn't...for example most would never say something like that about rock climbing, but they will jump all over your passion about nutrition, even though that is just as illogical as freaking out about rock climbing adventures! I've had this happen to me on FB too...and I just post certain studies that are definitely not preacher like, just developments (Paleo/Primal) that I find interesting, just like someone else may find rock climbing interesting. For most of us, Paleo/primal nutrition has become a passion we want to share with people. I've come to realize how ignorant some people are about health. And now they have that new "psychological disorder" about individuals obsessing with what foods they will and will not eat, and how they are concerned with the quality of their food. Next thing you know, we will all have this disorder because we refuse to eat certain foods. SMH.
                      && It's not just about living well, it's about dying well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaohinon View Post
                        He posted links (gasp! shriek!), and they attacked him. Who's condescending to who?

Look at it this way: my buddy posts photos and stories of his mountain-climbing adventures all the time. What if I were to rage at him about how, "hey, maybe we don't all like to climb mountains! Extreme mountain climbers are socially unattractive! I'd rather be down here at ground level than having fun with stupid rocks!"

Well, that would be kind of retarded, wouldn't it?
                        Yeah, I hear ya. On the other hand, what is the deal with golfers??? Very, very unattractive. What are they doing out there with those clubs and little cars? It's not like there is a shriner's parade going on. Seriously socially unattractive. Don't even get me started on squash players with their sociopathetic little rackets. Jeez.

Comment

Originally posted by ChasePaleo View Post
                          Even my mother who is overweight has told me that eating extreme will isolate you from society.
                          Considering that I think about society as a whole, I consider this to be a good thing for me personally.

I never have, and never will, give a flying f#ck about what people think about me. Didn't care when I bought into the CW BS and don't care now.

If being primal drives me further than so called "normal" people, all the better.

Hmmmm, "fitness freak" or being accepted by these type of folks, let me think about that.

Randal
                          AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                          Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                          http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

haha awesome =)
                            && It's not just about living well, it's about dying well.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                              Okay, the reason why some friends start acting like jerks is simple: when you are unhealthy and all of your friends are unhealthy, it's socially acceptable to sit around and say "Wow, wallowing in being unhealthy and saying 'This just is how I am' is how we all do it."

But when someone breaks from the pack, turns their life around and is making progress, it makes the ones left behind feel like crap. They no longer have the excuse or the moral support. It CAN be done - they're just not doing it. And that feels like crap.

This is all assuming we don't have any preaching going on. Preaching is obnoxious, no matter what side of the nutritional aisle you sit on.

This is very true. People don't think they can change so when they see others making positive changes they start projecting their insecurities onto them.

Most of my mates are fine with the way I eat, I don't make a fuss I just get on with it. They kind of expect these things from me, I was the first of us to stop taking drugs, the first to stop smoking, the first to start exercising. So they are used to me being the weird one lol (as the OP said this is the UK).

Quite a few have followed me and been supportive asking question some joke around but in a good humoured way rather than nasty. The only ones who are negative are a few of the very over weight girlfriends who despite always being on some crazy diet seem to look down on trying to live a generally healthy life. It's quite funny they tell you you're skinny and that real men need a bit of fat on them, yet they sit and drool over the latest hunk on TV with a six pack. I just smile and shrug, they aren't happy I am.

Pubs are always a laugh though being the only one ordering a water on a group always gets you a funny look from the bar staff.

My mums a vegetarian and always worries about me eating so much meat but it's only because she cares. When I point out I've gotten rid of my colitis symptoms completely with this diet she tends to give in.

Comment

Originally posted by threelions View Post
                                The only ones who are negative are a few of the very over weight girlfriends who despite always being on some crazy diet seem to look down on trying to live a generally healthy life. It's quite funny they tell you you're skinny and that real men need a bit of fat on them, yet they sit and drool over the latest hunk on TV with a six pack. I just smile and shrug, they aren't happy I am.
                                My ex used to tell me exactly that, "I like you with a bit of meat on you, I find muscle on men disgusting, so please don't get like that!" Of course, she would drool every time 300 was on TV, staring at Gerard Butler!

Comment

Working...
                                X