Low Carb Alcoholic Drinks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Carb Alcoholic Drinks

I'm wondering which alcoholic drinks are best from a low carb perspective. I've already read Mark's article where he sort of ranks various drinks against each other. However, it seems like he's looking holistically, and takes into account the number of antioxidants and such. I'm interested more in stuff that is just as low carb as possible, since I feel I get enough nutrients from my diet. So, anybody got some ideas on good low carb drinks?

Here's what I've come up with:
    - Whiskey (straight, or on the rocks)
    - Liquor (either whiskey, rum, or vodka) with muddled fruit (strawberries, cherries, or pineapple) and club soda

This is pretty much the only stuff I could think of that's low carb. Any other suggestions?

REAL tequila. Its not real unless its made with 100% agave. And you could try making a mojito with stevia instead of sugar or whatever crap they put in to make it sweet.

Comment

Ok. Numbers taken from Sparkpeople.

Wine Per 5-oz Serving
      Chardonnay2 g carbs
      Pinot Grigio 2 g carbs
      Zinfandel® White Wine 2 g carbs
      Cabernet Sauvignon 4 g carbs
      Merlot Red Wine 4 g carbs

Hard Liquor Per 1.5-oz Serving
      Vermouth 0.4 g carbs
      Coconut Rum 8 g carbs
      Beefeater® Gin 0 g carbs
      Rye Whiskey 0 g carbs
      Scotch Whiskey 0 g carbs
      White Rum 0 g carbs
      Vodka 0 g carbs
      Cognac 3 g carbs
      Tequila 8 g carbs
      Gilbey’s® Gin 0 g carbs

Beer Per 12-oz Serving
      "Light" Beer 6 g carbs
      Draft Beer 13.2 g carbs
      Lager 13.2 g carbs
      Ale 13.2 g carbs

So wine and scotch. What luck!
      And maybe the occasional light beer chaser.

Comment

Having a Norcal Margarita right now, but just one shot of tequila, half a lime and seltzer water in a highball glass.

Pretty good. That's why I had two. ;^)
        Durp.

Comment

Get Drunk Not Fat - Find The Lowest Calorie Beer is a terrific resource.

Comment

i usually drink flavored vodka and soda water

Comment

I'm a Chardonnay girl myself, and very surprised that it is lower in carbs than most red wines. Think I'll have another! (Hic) :-)

Comment

OK this might be a dumb question: if most hard liquor has 0 carbs, where do the calories come from? I know that it's alcohol --> acetaldehyde --> other stuff that can be recombined to storable fat. But how does one figure that a beer w/ approximately 10 carbs has upwards of 100 calories? (ish, whatever)

(if you can refer to a web site with creditable info in addition to (or even in lieu of) giving me an answer here, that would be fabulous)

Comment

Ethanol has 7 calories per gram.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_energy

Comment

You guys can tolerate beer (gluten)?
                    On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

In bars I like a vodka soda with a small splash of cranberry and a couple limes. Or a glass of red wine.

In the summer at home I occasionally indulge in some pineapple infused rum on rocks with a splash of coconut milk. YUM.
                      My journal

Comment

Originally posted by Angieh View Post
                        In bars I like a vodka soda with a small splash of cranberry and a couple limes. Or a glass of red wine.

In the summer at home I occasionally indulge in some pineapple infused rum on rocks with a splash of coconut milk. YUM.
                        Do you infuse the rum yourself? How?

Comment

Bourbon. Neat.

Comment

Is flavored seltzer water okay? I was looking at some seltzer water today and it said seltzer water with "natural" flavors. Is it really "natural" and primal-friendly?

Comment

Originally posted by econ View Post
                              Is flavored seltzer water okay? I was looking at some seltzer water today and it said seltzer water with "natural" flavors. Is it really "natural" and primal-friendly?
                              Check the ingredients. Most of those are sweetened in some way, so they're likely to have some "bad" stuff in them.

Comment

Working...
                              X