I may not be getting enough fish oil/omega-3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I may not be getting enough fish oil/omega-3

I take two Carlson’s Norwegian fish oil capsules per day and I’m thinking that is not enough. I want my omega-3/omega-6 ratio to be more in balance. Sure, my diet consists of (pastured) meat, eggs, vegetables, berries, butter, coconut, tea, but I have a weakness when it comes to nuts. Sometimes even peanuts. I know, those aren’t nuts and not primal. I just love them and eat too many of them. Nuts are high in omega-6 right?

I’ve read that fish oil spoonfuls (as opposed to capsules) are the way to go. How do you down a spoonful of fish oil?! That sounds disgusting. Do any of you do this? Do you mix it with something?
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Mix 1t. oil in 1 shot whisky.

Repeat as needed for proper blood to whisky ratio and proper 3:6 ratio.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

Originally posted by davem View Post
      Mix 1t. oil in 1 shot whisky.

Repeat as needed for proper blood to whisky ratio and proper 3:6 ratio.
      LMAO.

You could always eat Macadamias as they have a really low PUFA count. As for the fish oil, I know that there are orange and lemon/lime flavored ones but I have never tried them.
      If I were you, what I would do is take the fish oil in all it's fishy naturalness, especially if you hate the taste of fish. Why? Because every time you take it and gag and wretch, you can remind yourself that you need these because you eat too many damned nuts. Maybe you will figure out that you don't need all the nuts.
      People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

I use Carlson lemon flavored fish oil. You can down it by the spoonful with no fishy taste and no fishy burbs or aftertaste.

Comment

Eat salmon or sardines. The studies indicate that eating these fatty fish has benefits, but the benefits are not so clear cut with capsules because PUFAs oxidize so easily.
          Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

It sounds like it's enough man, don't need any stressballing.

For piece of mind, eat a fish once a week and keep popping the caps.

Comment

Originally posted by JKC View Post
              Eat salmon or sardines. The studies indicate that eating these fatty fish has benefits, but the benefits are not so clear cut with capsules because PUFAs oxidize so easily.
              +1 to this. Sardines are incredibly cheap. Just bring a small pack of those to work every day for lunch and you'll be set.

Comment

Yeah, I have gotten quite the taste for sardines since going primal. Liver too, but that is another topic!
                Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

Liver I still have trouble stomaching haha. Maybe if I get a better recipe!

Comment

You need to keep total pufa intake to less than 4% of total calories. So increasing O3 to compensate for O6 is the wrong approach. Lose the O6

+1 for sardines. Mackerel is good too
                    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I like sardines but ever since I went on a sardine kick earlier this year I've kinda lost the taste for them. I do eat fish, usually wild-caught salmon, once a week. I just need to stop with the damn nuts. Or at least switch to macadamia nuts.
                      “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by GaretJax View Post
                        I use Carlson lemon flavored fish oil. You can down it by the spoonful with no fishy taste and no fishy burbs or aftertaste.
                        This. I just picked up two bottles of the stuff off of Amazon (seems to be the best in cost/omega3 ratio).

Comment

Originally posted by GaretJax View Post
                          I put this kind in smoothies...not bad fishy burps later either!
                          Have high hopes that journaling can keep me on track: www.southerndink.com If you are on twitter hit me up so we can keep each other motivated: http://twitter.com/SouthernDink

Comment

stronger faster healthier makes a great tasting liquid Omega 3 that is way high in EPA/DHA... little pricey but it is what I use.

Comment

Dont forget, wild caught fish too.
                              Organic / Wild / Pasture fed - thats Primal.
                              Primal is a step to a healthier, stronger, longer life with weight reduction as a side effect.
                              Primal is not just a weight reduction tool.

Comment

Working...
                              X