DOH! Moment: Co-Worker Just Explained to me that Olive Oil is bad for you

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOH! Moment: Co-Worker Just Explained to me that Olive Oil is bad for you

because your body isn't made to have *oil* in it. So all oils are bad for you!

ask him why he has so much oil on his stupid face then?

Comment

Originally posted by JVAMan View Post
      Olive oil isn't the greatest oil. Hell, give that person some CO!
      Georgette

Comment

I know - I only use olive oil for salad dressing and I buy my sardines in olive oil, which is what caused this argument. For cooking I've started to use coconut oil.

And she also said you should get most of your fats from nuts.
        Last edited by JVAMan; 09-01-2011, 08:32 AM.

Comment

And she also said you should get most of your fats from nuts.

...which are full of natural oils. Bless her heart, she doesn't understand much about food

Comment

Originally posted by geostump View Post
            Olive oil isn't the greatest oil. Hell, give that person some CO!
            I'd rather use olive oil than coconut oil. Better taste, more antioxidants and polyphenols. Coconut oil may be less prone to oxidation, but that's about the only area where it shines vs olive oil. It'll still smoke before olive oil will. Not sure why olive oil is so hated on this site and coconut oil is so loved. It really isn't logical unless you have gut candida. Coconut oil's great for your skin and to kill bacteria from all the lauric acid. They both have their strong points, but neither is really better than the other. They just shine in different areas.
            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Oh he probably just thinks that engine oil and cooking oil are the same thing.

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
              It'll still smoke before olive oil will.
              Even the non-virgin stuff?

I don't think EVOO is hated on this site. Maybe a few loud nutjobs make it seem that way.
              You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by jqbancroft View Post
                ...which are full of natural oils. Bless her heart, she doesn't understand much about food
                Awesome advice. What a great recipe for massive systemic inflammation from an n3:n6 ratio of 1:30! People really upset me.

Tell that person that they'll have to eat an entire pound of wild caught salmon just to balance out all the linoleic acid from a single handful of nuts. Otherwise, they risk coronary inflammation from eating a food regularly that was only historically available in small quantities a few weeks out of an entire year. Watch their eyes roll into the back of their head.

My stance on nuts is they're one of the worst things out there. Nuts? Give me beans, please! Far less toxic.
                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                  Oh he probably just thinks that engine oil and cooking oil are the same thing.

Even the non-virgin stuff?

I don't think EVOO is hated on this site. Maybe a few loud nutjobs make it seem that way.
                  I wouldn't use non-virgin olive oil just like I wouldn't use non-virgin coconut oil. If you're not buying extra virgin olive oil or virgin coconut oil, the benefits of both are gone IMO. You may as well just use butter at that point. People seem to be terrified of cooking with olive oil, but the fact is, it's been shown countless times to hold up very well to heat, it's loaded with antioxidants and polyphenols, the good stuff is low in PUFA's and its smoke point is considerably higher than coconut oil's smoke point is. And the flavor lends itself to a much wider variety of foods. Don't even get me started on salad. Have you ever put coconut oil on salad? BARF!

Smoke Points:

406 F: Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
                  420 F: Olive Oil, Virgin
                  350 F: Coconut Oil

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/colle...mokepoints.htm

I have a temperature gun and I've tested olive oil myself to last until at least 380*F until it smokes. I usually buy Boticelli brand in the green tins and it smokes at about the 400*F mark. Coconut oil smokes first.
                  Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-01-2011, 09:03 AM.

Comment

My neighbor tried telling me this too. Then she went on to say that she cooks everything in canola oil because her natralpath told her to. I tried to explain the chemistry behind how bad canola is and I could tell it is in one ear and out the other. This coming from a woman with 6 types of autoimmunity.
                    My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

Comment

Tell em, "Suck it Trebek."
                      Slap them in the face, and walk away.

Then report them to HR for sexual harassment.
                      My Fitday public journal.
                      Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                      Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                      Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

I'd rather use olive oil than coconut oil. Better taste, more antioxidants and polyphenols. Coconut oil may be less prone to oxidation, but that's about the only area where it shines vs olive oil. It'll still smoke before olive oil will. Not sure why olive oil is so hated on this site and coconut oil is so loved.
                        This is correct. Olive oil is an ages old product, highly useful for just about anything, relatively economical, healthy as hell, and tasty. Been underwhelmed with cocobut oil, it tastes too much like the bad parts of a seven layer bar. My personal pref is one that's been used for at least a few millenia - olive oil, butter, lard. Done.

Honestly, I think coconut oil is so loved here for a few reasons:
                        - It tastes like candy
                        - It's trendy
                        - It's hard to find and expensive, making it a luxury/ identity commodity
                        - It's currently fringe
                        - It has amazing marketing right now, along with coconut water (thank you Zico!)

Re: Choco's heat gun...

It's not uncommon for high tier restaurants, particularly of the italian variety to have some smaller fryers with extra virgin in them, seet to 375, to make neat little treats like aracini.
                        Last edited by davem; 09-01-2011, 09:16 AM.
                        My Fitday public journal.
                        Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                        Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                        Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

Good to know since olive oil is cheaper. Though I keep reading about MCTs in coconut oil and how they help with fat loss:

MCT's vs Olive Oil for Fat Loss (Study) - LeanBulk Forums | Fitness Discussion Group | Fitness Forums

I wish I had a link to the actual study rather than second hand
                          Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

Well, shucks. I guess we'd better drop all those evil fat-oils and the sinful baby animal meat and switch to the truly enlightened diet of... well... grains, grains, beans, veggies still okay, but mostly grainsgrainsgrains. This is one of the better just so stories I've heard, though. A+ for bullshit.

Olive oil is the shizz. Not that inexpensive, though. The crappy PUFA oils are all so much cheaper... but I guess trash should cost less.

Never got the coconut oil thing myself. It is expensive as hell. They've got a whack of it at my current vitamin store and I agree that it's a big Whole Foods trendoid thing. I don't see why it's so superior to butter.

Another classic tried and true fat is rendered pork or beef fat. I got so many good ideas just from asking my friends' Polish and Russian grandmothers about this stuff. Pork fat is like evil squared to CW, and it makes my vegan sister run screaming from the room, but hell. It's pretty tasty. I don't understand why people insist on making gravy when the drippings alone are good. Flour ruins everything.
                            Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
                            "Cookie is a sometimes food."
                            "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
                            -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

Comment

You may as well just use butter at that point.
                              Why not just use butter in the first place?

Comment

Working...
                              X