Coconut milk while fasting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut milk while fasting

I have been doing a 16/8 hour fast for about two weeks now and I was using a little bit of heavy cream in my coffee but have just switched to coconut milk instead. Is it ok to have a little during my fast?

According to Martin Berkhan, a very small amount is OK (see the comment section: Intermittent Fasting, Set-Point and Leptin | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health).

Martin gave a somewhat arbitrary number of 50 cals max to ensure that people weren't going overboard. That would be about a tablespoon by volume of heavy cream or 1.5 of coconut milk. At least according to nutritiondata. I thought coconut milk was similar in calorie content to heavy cream, but I guess it's lower, or maybe depends on the brand:

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Cream, fluid, heavy whipping
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Nuts, coconut milk, canned (liquid expressed from grated meat and water)

Comment

No.
      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Cream seems to work ok for me so I would think coconut milk would be ok too - in small amounts
        Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

I would say that either are fine...If you see/feel a difference, then great. Listen to your body:-)
          Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

Sure it's OK to have either cream or coconut milk. But then it's no longer a fast, is it?

Comment

I never got the "how much can I eat and still be kinda fasting" thing. The point isn't to get some sort of primal merit badge, it's to get results, and anything that undermines the process undermines the results. TEHO, I suppose.
              Lifting Journal

Comment

I put about 1/4 coconut milk in my morning coffee, if you want to call that my breakfast, go right ahead. My body resumes fasting soon after digesting the coconut milk, so I don't really care if it interrupts the fast, since it would only do so for a short amount of time. I eat a regular sized meal usually around 1pm. I also fast 16/8 almost daily.

I wasn't aware of this, but apparently if you're doing the Warrior Diet (one big meal daily, typically closer to night time) it's okay to 'graze' during the day and just save the big meal for the night. Correct me if I'm wrong, I read about it on some other forum. None were having actual meals, but maybe some raw veggies etc, which don't provide much in the way of calories or sustenance, so I'm not sure why they bothered. I guess though, maybe the point of the Warrior diet isn't to fast in general but just to have that one large meal? Eh, who knows.

I wouldn't worry about it, especially considering coconut milk is way better than cream from a health stand-point, though I prefer the taste of dairy cream.
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

IniQuity: Have you still seen results from fasting?

Comment

Either you eat or you don't eat. Its a pretty simple concept. If you don't consume calories = fast. If you consume calories = very low calorie diet. Do you really care what its called, or do you care about the health implications?

Comment

I don't care what I call it but can I still get the same benefits?

Comment

I have dropped my last 10 lbs from fasting til noon or 2pm but drinking tea with cream during the fast. Who cares if you define it as fasting or not, it worked for me.
                        Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

According to Martin, yes you will get the same benefits. Again, see his comment in the post I linked to. And the first "Key Point" in this post: The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaiigirl View Post
                            IniQuity: Have you still seen results from fasting?
                            Yes. The caloric intake is very little.
                            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

When you put the Lean Gains (16/8) approach in a paleo and evolutionary context, itīs just a convenient way to ensure that you are reaching a fasted state regularly and at a caloric deficit for leaning out. In nature, animals will find a large meal (an animal carcass), go extended periods without eating or while eating little (berries, nuts, etc.), and then they find another big meal. However, with the modern ad libitum (unlimited) food potential for many people, there is rarely a need to fast and many people can go years without benefiting from being in a fasted state. In my opinion if you average 16/8, even if it looks more like 8/8/8 or 14/10 one day and 18/6 another, you should expect the same net effect

Comment

Working...
                              X