Need help now...sick from sugar binge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help now...sick from sugar binge

This past week of binging has been building up all summer... culminating with eating almost a whole bag of mini powder sugar donuts. Since I have gone back to school this past week and a half, I have been really stress eating (very easy to do since my classes are all online and I still have a house and five kids to take care of). I will seek a permanent solution, but I need to know what to do RIGHT NOW to stop from being sick and in a sugar coma; I have hours of classwork to do and I just wasted three hours.
    So... eat a bunch of protein? don't eat anything? guzzle a gallon of fat?? what???

BACON, NOW. (Or at least some other fatty meat.)
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post

BACON, NOW. (Or at least some other fatty meat.)
      Bacon, Stat. I'd love to hear that line in a medical drama.
      kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Comment

Okay, I hear you both...thanks... I will go get some even though I didn't want to leave the house.

Comment

Probably just some good protein and good fat will help. Also, lift some heavy stuff ( a couple of kids maybe?) if you can.
          kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Comment

Why not try to deal with the underlying stress? Maybe 5 kids and a house and a bunch of online classes are too much - they sure would be for me.
            Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

I hear you Karin, but it's now or never. That 20 year old degree in International Studies followed by 15 years of being an at-home mom lends itself to crappy 10.00/hr customer service jobs. I am going back for my teachers licensure because it will lead to less stress in the long run and I am passionate about learning. I just have to teach myself not to eat , in general, when I'm stressing, and particularly not to eat sugar at that time.

Comment

hee hee... my oldest is over 220 lbs and the rest are 190, 130, 115, and 65...that would be some serious lifting

Comment

I don't think there's much to be done now for the just-past sugar binge, but here's something to remember, even when you're stressed and feel gross and think at least a sweet taste in your mouth would make one thing pleasant, even if just for a few minutes:
                  You are the only one who controls what goes into your mouth. It's a choice you make at any given moment.

Comment

My mother's pediatrician had this advice for a kid who was sick on sugar "sit him in a corner and feed him cheese." I think it the same as advice about getting bacon. I don't know if it's the fat or the protein, but it always works to feel better.

Comment

Perseverance! stick to protein and fats.

I remember when I would take a bag of skittles to the face and have horrible headaches as a result. I would try to fight it with coconut oil or something. Once I actually got sick from it and threw up perfectly good Sushi (I was feeling woozy prior to the sushi, so I'm pretty confident it wasn't the fish)

It's not worth it. Concentrated sugar literally punches me in the head. Refined carbs for some reason don't have such a severe effect, though I do get tired, etc from it. I wish it actually HURT like sugar does, so it would drive the message home.
                      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I would go with another fatty meat besides bacon, as the salt will perpetuate the sugar binges.

Following that, I would go for a long, slow walk to help use up some of the extra glucose sitting around. While walking, use some positive imagery and deep, slow breaths to help settle the mind and emotions.

I would resist the 'punishment' mindset, as that begins to backfire into a vicous cycle. OK, you binged. Welcome to the human race. Now, look back over the past week. What were the indicators that you were heading towards the cliff? What could you have done to avert this? How can you set those 'safety nets' into place so that next time you are getting caught up in the stress/overwhelming, you can step off to the side and re-center without binging?

After that, have a nice big drink of water. Plan a meal that is simple, satisfying, and nutrient dense to make up for those being eaten up by the sugars. Think steak and spinach, with a small amount of sweet potato on the side. Go to bed early, and avoid TV or other stressful stimulations.

Tomorrow is another day.

Comment

Working...
                        X