frying stuff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frying stuff

ok so fat is good for you, but is frying it good?
    lets say i wanna add some fried onion into my omlet, is it ok (frying it in olive oil)?

yep, that's fine. though, i think there are better options than olive oil. there are some concerns about the smoke rate of olive oil for frying or sauteing...but, really, there are better tasting fats. i'd go for bacon fat or butter...but that's me.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Sure, that's fine. As long as there is no wheat-based breading and no bad oil used, frying is acceptable.

Comment

FWIW, generally, fast food restaurants fry in oil you do not want to ingest.

But yes, stuff at home with ingredients you know is fine.
        carl's cave

Comment

coconut oil is great for frying

Comment

I have no issues with frying in olive oil and will continue to do so regularly. Studies have shown the MUFA's in EXTRA VIRGIN olive oil hold up well to heat and even better when infused with herbs, such as rosemary, thyme or oregano. Coconut oil is great, but it ruins the flavor of a lot of dishes. Olive oil is usually a much better flavor IMO, and I will use it up to 375*F for frying. I WILL NOT reuse the olive oil, however, and I will try hard not to smoke it. 375*F is very close to extra virgin olive oil's smoke point, so if you don't own a temperature gun, I would use it for lower heat sauteing and not for higher temperature frying.

Anything over 400 degrees, look into avocado oil or try rendering your own ghee.
            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Render yourself some lard or tallow. I get pastured organic pig suet at the farmers market for 1.49/lb. Three pounds rendered down leaves me with 2-3 jars of solid fat that has AMAZING taste for frying. I especially like to make sweet potato chips.

Comment

Depends on different things:

Type of oil; as youve mentioned OO is good, EVO no due to low smoking point
                Constant temperature of frying
                Length of time to fry
                Organic / Wild / Pasture fed - thats Primal.
                Primal is a step to a healthier, stronger, longer life with weight reduction as a side effect.
                Primal is not just a weight reduction tool.

Comment

x2 on tallow. I make my own from grass fed fat from a local meat shop. $2.50 gets me five pounds of fat which easily renders one medium (8 oz.?) jar of actually beneficial fat. Olive oil is not really a healthy oil compared to tallow or coconut oil. Saturated fats are the most stable and beneficial for your body.

WHFoods: Why it's best not to cook with extra virgin olive oil
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Lard to me is the most yummy fat to cook in. Bacon fat comes in 2nd. Both are really easy to make.

Comment

I use duck fat and bacon fat. I have Coconut oil also but I rarely use it for frying.

Comment

I love pork fat rendered down for lard. I buy pork from a local organic pig farm and they regularly give me a big bag of fat - free. I get a great sense of satisfaction, seeing jars of pure white fat lined up in my fridge!

Last week I was given a 3lb chunk of organic grass fed beef fat too. Yum!

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                          x2 on tallow. I make my own from grass fed fat from a local meat shop. $2.50 gets me five pounds of fat which easily renders one medium (8 oz.?) jar of actually beneficial fat. Olive oil is not really a healthy oil compared to tallow or coconut oil. Saturated fats are the most stable and beneficial for your body.

WHFoods: Why it's best not to cook with extra virgin olive oil
                          That's not exactly true. Olive oil is loaded with polyphenols that you won't find in these other cooking mediums. Not sure why people are bashing it for its smoke point. Its smoke point is higher than virgin coconut oil and lard. This is pretty common knowledge. I will continue to cook with it. Countless studies show the MUFA's in olive oil paired with the very high antioxidant content make it hold up very well to heat, and even better if you infuse it with herbs. It's not just about the fatty acid profile. Just look how high the smoke point of avocado oil is and its fatty acid profile is almost identical to olive oil.

I use coconut oil where I can, but its flavor doesn't lend well to most dishes. Also, its smoke point is one of the lowest out there, making it a poor choice for anything but sauteing.
                          Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-31-2011, 05:22 AM.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Working...
                          X