Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

too much fat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • too much fat?

    I am going over my DRV for fat most days by about 25+ grams. I get most of my fat from coconut oil, avocados, olive oil, salmon, and lean red meats like Bison and Longhorn. I am 5'1 and weigh 114lbs @ 16% Body Fat. I would like to get down to 105-110lbs with 10-12% body fat. Do you think eating these fats is this preventing me from losing weight? I think not, but I am at a loss as to how to change my body composition. I have been primal for 5 weeks now. Any advice will be helpful!

  • #2
    For woman wanting to get down to that lean of a level you will need to be very careful with how much of the fats that you are eating. It's the same for men trying to get down to or below 5%.
    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
      For woman wanting to get down to that lean of a level you will need to be very careful with how much of the fats that you are eating. It's the same for men trying to get down to or below 5%.
      Indeed. Why are you trying to get your body fat so low? 10-12% is on the lean side for a man. For a woman, it's danger zone for health. Are you competing? You already have fats well under 1g/lb of body weight, and I'm assuming little carbohydrate. If you're 16% bf, you're probably already pretty ripped.

      An idea would be to simply "shift" your fats without changing the intake level. This would mean less long chain fatty acids and more medium chain tryglycerides (shift away from monounsaturated fats to medium chain saturated fatty acids). Basically, eat the same macros, but eat more coconut instead of more butter. Use MCT oil instead of olive oil on salads. Fry things in coconut oil/MCT oil instead of butter or lard. Make coconut butter instead of using regular butter. Normal butter is actually insulinogenic, so I'd cut that out 100%. That way, you'll be achieving the rare "thermic effect" with a fat, which normally doesn't happen.

      If you're really looking to lose weight, Trader Joe's sells super lean ground turkey that only has 2g/fat per pound for $4.99/lb. I would recommend stocking up on this because it's practically a fat free whole food protein source. Then, add your daily fat as all coconut-based (or go for the throat and buy MCT oil). A diet high in protein, a little green vegetables for some fiber and mostly medium chain triglycerides as a fat source would have you shedding fat in no time I bet.
      Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-30-2011, 08:21 AM.
      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm not trying to criticize you, but I'm just curious as to why you want to have such low bodyfat levels. Are you prepping for a fitness competition or something? Because it will be very, very hard to maintain that level of leanness for a woman. It will take caloric restriction and exercise. There are a few girls I know with really low levels of bf but they work out a lot, have always been stick-thin, and have no real interest in food.

        It will be hard for you to get all of your vitamins and minerals. You might experience brittle nails, thinner hair, and a loss of your period, which will lead to bone density problems and hormonal issues. You would have to go on birth control to keep your cycle which has its own slew of side effects. Sorry, I don't mean to scare you, but these are very real consequences of being at super low bf levels for a woman.

        HOWEVER -- if you are petite in build then you most likely can realistically get to 105-110 pounds, and it won't be too hard. Just keep in mind your bodyfat will probably be closer to 15-18%. At my absolute thinnest I was 106 pounds and probably 15% bf. However, I'm 5'4" so that did not look healthy at all on me. I look much better (with some muscle) at about 117 pounds and 17% bf.

        Comment


        • #5
          Ditto on why you want to go to such a low percentage of body fat.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by AuH2Ogirl View Post
            Ditto on why you want to go to such a low percentage of body fat.
            Cus having your period is teh suck.
            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

            Comment


            • #7
              Having messed up hormones potentially for years is even more teh suck
              Karin

              A joyful heart is good medicine

              He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

              Mmmmm. Real food is good.

              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JKC View Post
                Having messed up hormones potentially for years is even more teh suck
                Yep, been there done that and it blows.
                For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by perceptionfitness View Post
                  I am 5'1 and weigh 114lbs @ 16% Body Fat. I would like to get down to 105-110lbs with 10-12% body fat. Do you think eating these fats is this preventing me from losing weight? I think not, but I am at a loss as to how to change my body composition. I have been primal for 5 weeks now. Any advice will be helpful!
                  Body Fat Pictures and Percentages | Leigh Peele
                  Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks for all the responses! I am of a petite build @ 5'1. I definitely do not want to loose my period or cause hormonal interruptions. I do want to have my BF % re-checked. One of you said I must be pretty ripped at 16% BF and the truth is that yes, I am athletic, but i have some fat on my arms and thighs that with 16% BF I don't feel like should be there. Last time I used a Tanita scale, and I don;t know how accurate it was. I would like to use Dexa method. I am considering competing in a fitness model competition. I am also a personal trainer and want to look and feel my best.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Your scale might be off a little. What you're describing sounds like more like 18%, which I as a young male consider to be perfect. Dropping to 16% should make you darn ripped, and actually a little to manly and bony for most guys, at least guys like me. I wouldn't even THINK of dropping below 14-15% for health reasons as a female. 14% is bordering on competition levels.
                      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        well hello Staci.
                        My Fitday public journal.
                        Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                        Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                        Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Good fats

                          Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                          Indeed. Why are you trying to get your body fat so low? 10-12% is on the lean side for a man. For a woman, it's danger zone for health. Are you competing? You already have fats well under 1g/lb of body weight, and I'm assuming little carbohydrate. If you're 16% bf, you're probably already pretty ripped.

                          An idea would be to simply "shift" your fats without changing the intake level. This would mean less long chain fatty acids and more medium chain tryglycerides (shift away from monounsaturated fats to medium chain saturated fatty acids). Basically, eat the same macros, but eat more coconut instead of more butter. Use MCT oil instead of olive oil on salads. Fry things in coconut oil/MCT oil instead of butter or lard. Make coconut butter instead of using regular butter. Normal butter is actually insulinogenic, so I'd cut that out 100%. That way, you'll be achieving the rare "thermic effect" with a fat, which normally doesn't happen.

                          If you're really looking to lose weight, Trader Joe's sells super lean ground turkey that only has 2g/fat per pound for $4.99/lb. I would recommend stocking up on this because it's practically a fat free whole food protein source. Then, add your daily fat as all coconut-based (or go for the throat and buy MCT oil). A diet high in protein, a little green vegetables for some fiber and mostly medium chain triglycerides as a fat source would have you shedding fat in no time I bet.
                          Thanks for the info. I do not use butter and I do use Coconut Oil. I get fats also from raw nuts and seeds, olive oil, avocado and lean meats and fish. I log my food everyday on My Fitness Pal and I have done this for over 200 days. I am VERY aware of what I eat and I am still at a loss as to why I am not losing fat. I have cellulite on my thighs and butt and some fat to spare on my arms. The only dairy I eat is Fage 0% Greek Yogurt and occasionally I have dark beans. Is it possible to eat too much protein? I usually get more than my body weight...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Erm...a few things.

                            - Sometimes you just have genetic flabby bits that take forever to go away. To go away, they can sometimes require you getting thinner than you healthfully should. You can always try to put weight back on and hope it doesn't come back like that, but it's a roll of the dice. There's been research on it but it's not conclusive. At my thinnest I had jiggle in my inner thighs. It got better when I put more muscle ON my legs. It sort of "filled it out" and made it more shapely.
                            - You might be retaining water. How's your electrolyte balance?
                            - Have you gone for a couple of weeks of no weightlifting or intense cardio? Did you notice a sudden "whoosh" and look leaner?
                            - If you log into Fitday, what is your average caloric consumption? Do you ever have refeeds?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by perceptionfitness View Post
                              Thanks for the info. I do not use butter and I do use Coconut Oil. I get fats also from raw nuts and seeds, olive oil, avocado and lean meats and fish. I log my food everyday on My Fitness Pal and I have done this for over 200 days. I am VERY aware of what I eat and I am still at a loss as to why I am not losing fat. I have cellulite on my thighs and butt and some fat to spare on my arms. The only dairy I eat is Fage 0% Greek Yogurt and occasionally I have dark beans. Is it possible to eat too much protein? I usually get more than my body weight...
                              How significant is your nut intake? Nuts are absolutely one of the worst things to eat if you want to lose body fat. Not only are they more calorically dense than chocolate, but they have the worst kind of fats. They are fat bombs full of omega 6 fatty acid, usually without an omega 3 in sight (and if there are, it's a terrible ratio), so they encourage a lot of weight gain. Super high calories chock full of omega 6 = easy fat stall if you're lucky, lots of fat gain if you're unlucky.

                              Yes, it's pretty easy to overeat protein. Protein turns into glucose when you eat too much. Rule of thumb is to eat 1-1.5 grams per pound of body weight if you're active and athletic, 0.7-1 gram of protein per pound if you're sedentary.
                              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X