Mead? The primal wine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mead? The primal wine?

Ok probably not primal, but anyone aware of any special health benefits of mead vs wine?

I can't generally drink an entire bottle of wine in one sitting, nor equivalent volume of beer. But Two weekends in a row I downed a 750ml bottle of mead in one sitting, it was that good.

I think I need to cut that out, but I wasn't terribly buzzed nor even hung over the next days.

Not sure, I would assume it's fairly sugary but I haven't actually looked at what kind of carbs it's got or if they all get converted over to alcohol.

Comment

My guess is mead is a very simple drink made with fermented water and honey. Wines are made with various fruits, and these can have a range of flavors. Sometimes wines can be heavy in flavor. Supposedly honey does have health benefits, but I don't know if the fermentation process affects these benefits.

Oh and I read that mead can have 8-18% alcohol content, so maybe you had the weaker mead?

Comment

Sugary meads obviously aren't good. I've made dry meads, they're really easy and really tasty.
        Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Comment

Originally posted by Laconophile View Post
          Sugary meads obviously aren't good. I've made dry meads, they're really easy and really tasty.
          I'd still wonder what the carb content of them was.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
            I'd still wonder what the carb content of them was.
            The hydrometer readings were in the low 0.990's on them, so they were bone dry, nearly no carbs. Most champagne yeasts can get them to bone dry easily.
            Last edited by Laconophile; 08-29-2011, 07:25 PM.

Comment

The hydrometer readings were in the low 0.990's on them, so they were bone dry, nearly no carbs.
              Niiiiiiiiiiiice

Comment

You may want to be careful with mead - I'm a big fan of tej, which is an Ethiopian honey wine, but I know one of the main ingredients is gesho, which is a kind of hops (i.e. grain.) I'm not sure if all mead is made with grains - I might have to ask my brother, he got a little into the medieval scene a few years ago and made his own mead

Comment

Originally posted by paleo_hailey View Post
                  You may want to be careful with mead - I'm a big fan of tej, which is an Ethiopian honey wine, but I know one of the main ingredients is gesho, which is a kind of hops (i.e. grain.) I'm not sure if all mead is made with grains - I might have to ask my brother, he got a little into the medieval scene a few years ago and made his own mead
                  Only a few types of mead are made with hops, Tej is the most popular, and there's Braggot which is mead with malt and hops. They're both extremely rare in the US.
                  The most common mead sold in stores in the US (Chaucer's) isn't real mead.

Comment

The most common mead sold in stores in the US (Chaucer's) isn't real mead.
                    Chaucer's is the one I bought, and now I am a sad sad wabbit.

How do I know real mead from the fake?

Comment

I tried to brew my own gallon of mead two years ago....didn't go so well. Back when I wore my mjolnir and first discovered Amon Amarth....those were the days.

Comment

Originally posted by wildwabbit View Post
                        Chaucer's is the one I bought, and now I am a sad sad wabbit.
                        Don't be, if you thought that was good wait 'til you try the real thing.

How do I know real mead from the fake?
                        Look and see if it says 'Chaucer's' on it. But seriously, if you are able to find a different mead, it's probably real. But unfortunately Chaucer's has become the most widespread 'mead' for some reason.

Comment

I just want to add here, that hops are not a grain, in any way. Also, you *can* smoke their closest relative.

Mead is good stuff, apprently easy to make, but from what mead makers have told me expect a year before it's ready. That's a lot of time investment. Especially when I look at the beer I made yesterday, and it's almost fermented out already.
                          My Fitday public journal.
                          Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                          Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                          Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

Originally posted by davem View Post
                            I just want to add here, that hops are not a grain, in any way. Also, you *can* smoke their closest relative.

Mead is good stuff, apprently easy to make, but from what mead makers have told me expect a year before it's ready. That's a lot of time investment. Especially when I look at the beer I made yesterday, and it's almost fermented out already.
                            It's cheap to make too, ~$30-35 for 5 gallons, over $1 per 750 ml bottle. But the wait is brutal. My advice is to try to forget about it until it's ready.

Comment

Originally posted by wildwabbit View Post
                              Ok probably not primal, but anyone aware of any special health benefits of mead vs wine?
                              Actually, it almost certainly is the earliest alcoholic drink.

It can even occur "in the wild". AFAIK, all that's really necessary is for a wild bees' nest in the crook of a tree to get flooded by rainwater. According to Laurens van der Post (not the most reliable source I know) the Bushmen of Southern Africa gathered mead from the wild and also made it themselves. These are "the world's most ancient people":

World's most ancient race traced in DNA study - Science, News - The Independent

I don't know about specific health benefits. People have certainly believed it had them. Father Sebastian Kneipp, who was one of the originators of naturopathy, was an advocate of it, despite thinking that alcohol in general was harmful to us. I think you'd still find opinions like that among some alternative health people. Whether such a view can be substantiated is another thing, of course.

Apparently, a lot of commercial mead is cheapened with sugar. If that doesn't get fully fermented (and they probably do stop the fermentation while it's still quite sweet) that would be a problem for people with GAPS-type problems:

Frequently Asked Questions on Gut And Psychology Syndrome, the condition behind many mental and physical problems, such as autism, hyperactivity and attention deficit, dyslexia, dyspraxia, depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, obsessive-compul

And I guess there could be other additives. The best thing would probably be to make it yourself. Then you know what's in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X