No announcement yet.

Why is corn a grain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So green beans and sugar snap peas are both legumes, yet most will think they are a fine part of a primal diet (rather than the matured, dried seeds).

Should we think of corn the same way? That is, is corn on the cob OK, but not matured, dried, ground corn seeds?

Comment

Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
      So green beans and sugar snap peas are both legumes, yet most will think they are a fine part of a primal diet (rather than the matured, dried seeds).

Should we think of corn the same way? That is, is corn on the cob OK, but not matured, dried, ground corn seeds?
      Personally, I do! Though that's more a choice saying... I don't care if it's primal or not. I won't eat a lot of it, but when sweet corn is in season and fresh picked there's not much better! I have some standing exceptions for certain foods, like my flour-based cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning. I consider corn on the cob part of my 20%.
      Uncle Dutch Farms - my bloggy home.
      My review of the Piteba oil expeller - handcranked expeller to make fresh nut oils, coconut oil, etc. Yeah, I love this thing.
      My favorite kitchen tools - The Homesteader Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Barb View Post
        The simple answer is: Grains are the seeds of grasses. Corn is a grass, corn kernels are grains.

Mesoamericans treated their corn by soaking it in a limewater (alkaline) solution prior to grinding or cooking. This neutralized the anti-nutrients, making the minerals and other nutrients more bioavailable, helping it to be a healthier source of calories. If you buy masa in the store (corn flour used to make tortillas) it is pretreated with lime in this way (and that is not the fruit).
        So wait...you can use masa and not worry about any antinutrients in your food?? That would put it on the level of potatoes for somebody buying from Safeway.

Comment

The Story of Corn - History Detective
          "Corn as we know it today would not exist if it weren't for the humans that cultivated and developed it. It is a human invention, a plant that does not exist naturally in the wild. It can only survive if planted and protected by humans.

Scientists believe people living in central Mexico developed corn at least 7000 years ago. It was started from a wild grass called teosinte. Teosinte looked very different from our corn today. The kernels were small and were not placed close together like kernels on the husked ear of modern corn."

Comment

Originally posted by springnr View Post
            The Story of Corn - History Detective
            "Corn as we know it today would not exist if it weren't for the humans that cultivated and developed it. It is a human invention, a plant that does not exist naturally in the wild. It can only survive if planted and protected by humans.

Scientists believe people living in central Mexico developed corn at least 7000 years ago. It was started from a wild grass called teosinte. Teosinte looked very different from our corn today. The kernels were small and were not placed close together like kernels on the husked ear of modern corn."
            Exactly. Corn is a neolithic invention which we are better off not eating at all.
            Re green beans and sugar snap peas, the PB says that they are fine because you are really eating more of the pod than the pea, the pod being vegetable matter.

Comment

Working...
            X