No announcement yet.

Digestive enzymes are saving my budget!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digestive enzymes are saving my budget!

I know it sounds backward, but spending the money on a good digestive enzyme has slashed my food budget in a major way. Prior to the enzymes, I always thought I just thought I had a huge appetite and good metabolism. Turns out, I had major digestive issues, and the majority of what I ate was not being absorbed, and instead just passed straight through.

Enter digestive enzymes, and my appetite is literally 1/3 of what it was. Before, I could easily pack away 6-8 eggs and 8 slices of Bacon for breakfast. I just ate 2 eggs and 3 slices of Bacon, and I'm stuffed! For reference, I'm a 5'2" female who weighs about 120, so the prior amounts of food were quite insane.

I just thought I'd share in case someone else is struggling with massive appetite without massive weight gain, and enzymes might help.

That is truly fascinating. Thanks for sharing!
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

Comment

Eating slowly helps. A lot of digestive enzymes come from saliva.

Comment

Originally posted by Acteon View Post
        Eating slowly helps. A lot of digestive enzymes come from saliva.
        Probably works for many people, but not me, I've always eaten slowly. I wish that helped!

Comment

Carbohydrates are digested in the mouth and the duodemun and that process starts with Salivary enzymes. However protien is not digested by saliva. Never.

additionally enzymes come from raw food and we cook most of ours and as with many many biologic funtions when you run out you run out and they must be replaced.

humans dont denovo all the stuff we need else we woudl never have to eat

we chew protien to provide more surface area for our stamach acids to contact thus reducing time in the gut,
          we chew carbs to start the digestion process in the mouth to be completed in the duodemum.

the rest is sensationalism

/soapbox
          Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
          Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
          Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by quelsen View Post
            additionally enzymes come from raw food and we cook most of ours and as with many many biologic funtions when you run out you run out and they must be replaced.
            Wrong.
            Enzymes in food are denatured by your stomach acid and play absolutely no part in digestion.
            Last edited by marqueemoon; 08-29-2011, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marqueemoon View Post
              Wrong.
              please enlighten me. on review, perhaps sloppy is more accurate than wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digestive_enzyme
              Last edited by quelsen; 08-29-2011, 07:47 AM.

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

Wrong.
                Enzymes in food are denatured by your stomach acid and play absolutely no part in digestion.
                Partially denatured would be more accurate. It depends on gastric emptying times, the gastric pH, protective factors and that particular enzyme's sensitivity to pH.
                "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

Comment

Wrong.
                  ah i see the discrepancy. The originals are, however they are teh building blocks for new ones

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

I have taken many different kinds of digestive enzymes and some work, some don't. What brand are taking?

Comment

ODM, which enzymes are you finding success with? Congrats!!
                      My Before/After Pics
                      Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

I'm taking Digest Spectrum by enzymedica, they have a ton of different kinds of enzymes, and no fillers.

Comment

This is truly fascinating. You know I think I have had the same effect as of late...but I didn't realize or think it had anything to do with the enzymes. Primal or not primal I used to be able to pack away a LOT of food before feeling stuffed. I picked up some cheapo Wal mart enzymes just to try them out a couple months back and I have noticed that after meals less than half the size of what I used to be able to eat I am feeling very very full. Weird! I would have never associated it with taking enzymes but...perhaps..? I guess this is a good sign, thanks for sharing!!

Comment

Thanks for your post, ODM. I've been taking digestive enzymes with most of my meals for a couple of years now (mainly Doctor's Best Digestive Enzymes), and I never made the connection between the enzymes and my generally super-small appetite. (I always figured that it was the fish oil that I take with most meals that was filling me up.) Some days, I can eat 2 eggs, a cup of veggies & a few grams of fish oil, and not feel hungry again for 18-24 hours.

Comment

I think I fall in the camp of people with generally bad digestion. It's gotten somewhat better since I switched to Primal, but it's still not stellar. I've added beef broth and kimchi to my daily diet, and they seem to help some, but I think I need the broth every day and maybe in larger quantities. Or I could just try the enzymes!

Comment

Working...
                              X