How Its Made - Canola Oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Its Made - Canola Oil

I was just flipping channels and came across the tail end of a 'How Its Made' episode on Canola Oil (science channel).

Ummm, I saw the 'wax' particles being filtered out (they were quite nasty looking), that are later turned into vegetable oil, the bleaching process to make it look pretty, and some other chemical process to make it smell better.

I still cannot get the bad look of my face after seeing the 'wax' particles ooze out of some filter machine. Ugh.
    Erin
    Daily Vlogs
    Primal Pets Blog

Totally feelin' your disgust.
    I saw that video on Youtube and showed it to my family a few weeks ago. My siblings gagged, and my parents stopped using canola.

The announcer sounds so optimistic too. "It's a source of good fats!" Right...

Comment

Is this the video you guys are talking about?

52 year old Male
      Goal: 185lbs
      April 10th: 220lbs

Comment

Mmm, solvents.
        Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Comment

Omg how gross.

Comment

Yup, PaleoPenn, that's the one.

Comment

And they ruined a perfectly good steak by frying it in that crap!
              Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

And do you see who uploaded the video to youtube?
                My paleo food photos

Comment

I think it's horrible that they use some of the by-products as animal feed.

Comment

Nothing about that video sounded healthy... Solvents! Bleach! Sodium Hydroxide! Old looking pipes that eject sludge and wax! Yumm!
                    Doing the Primal 30 Day Challenge since August 8th, 2011!

Comment

Industrial (food) oil production is scary.......is it food or biodiesel? Kinda makes the simplicity of butter a wonderful thing.

Rolf Devinci Cycling: How They Are Made - Vegetable Oils.
                      http://rolfdevinci.blogspot.com/

Comment

I love how the narrator is so happy and pleasant when he describes the various chemicals that go through it. Like its no big deal that some of the by products become soap, or bleaching your food is normal. Or when that nasty looking wax substance is coming out of the machine he states it will be turned into vegetable shortening......like that seems a perfectly natural thing to do with something that gross....mmmm.
                        Erin
                        Daily Vlogs
                        Primal Pets Blog

Comment

I just watched the 'How It's Made' clip for canola oil. Mmmm. Just think, after that paste comes out of the expeller and they use chemicals to extract the remaining oil, they sell what's left as "high protein" feed for animals. Delicious! Think maybe this is why CAFO beef is less nutritious? Ooo, and that wax is reconstituted into shortening. Who doesn't love Crisco?

And to think, one of the first lines in the video is that canola oil is one of the healthiest oils! And then they show it being poured all over a salad. Disgusting.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

There is no "Canola plant" it is Rapeseed or Field Mustard oil.

Canola - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Canadian oil, low acid" in 1978.[7][8] Genetically modified rapeseed, sometimes is referred to as Rapeseed 00. A product known as LEAR (for low erucic acid rapeseed) derived from cross-breeding of multiple lines of Brassica juncea may also be referred to as canola oil and is considered safe for human consumption.[9]

Comment

I don't get how it can EITHER be used as food *OR* fuel. Those two things don't seem like they should be interchangeable to me. Just sayin'.
                              http://baconandwhimsy.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X