Do you prefer Ghee over Butter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you prefer Ghee over Butter?

Yes, I know it's essentially the same thing. But researching Ghee, I see that they take out the dairy contents, and make it purely fat.

So should I be using Ghee on my veggies instead of Kerry Gold butter?

A lot of people that have problems with dairy do fine with ghee. I am in that boat. I love ghee. Others seem to do fine w grass fed butter like KG.

Comment

Butter over ghee, ANY time. But only cultured butter. Ghee is OK, and perhaps superior to butter when frying at high temperatures, but if I do so, I usually use lard or coconut oil instead... I have made a bit of ghee, but it never really caught onto me.

I'm a Dane - we live for butter!

Oh, btw - I hear that KerryGold is recommended butter, so stick with it if you like it! I'm all for organic Danish, cultured butter. Yuuum!

Comment

I love them both, but ghee is better for high temperature cooking.

Comment

Ghee never did anything for me. Expensive stuff, too.

And for high-temp cooking, I much prefer lard, coconut oil, or in a pinch leftover bacon grease.

I'll stick with the KG for my veggies.
          Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
          Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Comment

We prefer butter. Husband hates the taste of ghee.
            Positively Radical — Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Comment

I make my own ghee... I buy organic grass fed/finished butter... put it in a cast iron pot put in on the burner get a delicate boil (just above a simmer) going...and let it get golden (on my stove that takes about 45mins) then I strain it w/cheese cloth and transfer to a storage jar... love, love, love... and way freaking cheaper than Ghee in the store..
              The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
              What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
              SW 190lb
              Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
              25 Sep 2011 160lbs
              1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
              GW ~135lbs
              5'3"
              Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

Originally posted by bwhit View Post
                A lot of people that have problems with dairy do fine with ghee. I am in that boat. I love ghee. Others seem to do fine w grass fed butter like KG.
                +1 Dairy intolerance, butter makes me sick, ghee does not. Taste wise I'd choose butter if I tolerated it--but I still love my ghee!
                My Before/After Pics
                Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

...ghee to me is a jar full of over-priced blandness. Hands down decision here --> butter for the win...hebs

ps...the one advantage to ghee, I can easily binge on cold, salted butter, mmmmm. I would NEVER binge on ghee!

Comment

Gosh no.

Comment

I met someone with very serious, gall-bladder removing allergies, including lactose and casein, and she eats ghee, no prob at all. If you have any sensitives, it seems like an awesome way to go.

It doesn't taste as yummy though -- so use it as a fat, not as a flavoring.

Comment

I really didn't like ghee when I first tried it. It grew on me. Ghee for cooking when I want to avoid the taste of coconut oil and don't have any reserved beef/ lamb fat to hand, and butter on my greens. And fried eggs. And sweet potatoes.

Comment

I prefer the taste of butter over ghee; however, I use ghee. I avoid dairy. Ghee doesn't taste bad or anything, butter just tastes better.
                          No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
                          -Buddha

Comment

Homemade ghee (from unsalted Kerrygold), brought to slightly brown, develops an amazing flavor that butter just does not have. I say both: they are so different.
                            Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Ghee for cooking....Butter for eating (on veggies, or just eating it straight)
                              "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

Comment

Working...
                              X