Ketosis - Low calories/Feeling tired

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ketosis - Low calories/Feeling tired

I've been eating strictly PB for about 7 weeks, keeping carbs on average at 75 grams per day. My goal is to reduce body fat while maintaining muscle (and eventually getting a six pack). I'm almost 100% certain i've been in ketosis for the last few weeks.

On monday i fasted the entire day (for the first time) while performing 30 mins of cardio. On both tues and wed i ate about 1500 calories per day.

On thursday, and today, i'm exhausted and feel completely tired and useless.

So my question comes down to - if you're in ketosis AND eat low calories for a few days, shouldn't your body respond by burning more stored body fat to keep energy levels up and make up for the calorie deficit? Why do i feel soooo tired?

Your body is replacing glycogen stores and trying to heal from those workouts. Extra calories (and maybe a few extra carbs) would not be a bad thing.

Comment

Sounds like you need a carb re-feed. 1 sweet potato. Stat!
      Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
      Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
      CW: 146.8 lbs
      GW 140 lbs
      A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Here's where i'm confused - if i'm already in ketosis - why is my body spending so much energy to replenish glycogen stores? Why is that the reason i feel so tired?

Comment

Gluconeogenesis (creation of sugar) is stressful for the body. Low-calorie diets are stressful for the body. Any kind of exercise is stressful for the body. I'm sure those aren't the only stresses going around either, and your body is responding to this high-stress situation by stepping on the brakes.

Comment

are you absolutely sure you are/were in ketosis? the only real way to know is by testing.

75 grams of carbs is an aweful lot of carbs. in my experience 50 grams a day is pretty much the cut off point and anything more will knock you out rather quickly. it also takes, again in my experience at least 48 hours to get back into ketosis.

if you were not in ketosis and then you all of a sudden are, because of your fast and lowered calories for those couple days, its quite possible the tiredness you are feeling is what is commonly refered to as carb flu
            Primal Chaos
            37yo 6'5"
            6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
            current 338lbs 49" waist
            goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Dr. Michael Eades just did a blog post (two actually) on exactly what you are experiencing.

Google it.

1) why are you restricting calories?
              2) why so many carbs?

Seriously though...get more fat in there and eat dammit! You have to repair your systems. Your body needs to learn how to live off protein and fat. If you're starving it at the same time, you're writing a recipe for serious disaster. I know it's counterintuitive...but you've got to eat...probably more than you think you should. Coconut oil, butter, fatty beef. Get some.

Maybe cruise the Leptin Reset thread too...

Comment

The last time i felt like this was 1-2 weeks into first eating according to the PB. If i went in, then out, and back into ketosis - would i get the same symptoms as the first time? Do you feel lethargic every time you switch from non-ketosis to ketosis?

Comment

I'm trying to accelerate fat loss - but honestly - i feel full on 1500 calories. Even now i feel very tired, but NOT hungry. I didn't intend on eating low calorie - it kinda just happened.

Comment

Originally posted by livinlite View Post
                    Dr. Michael Eades just did a blog post (two actually) on exactly what you are experiencing.

Maybe cruise the Leptin Reset thread too...
                    The fact that i'm not hungry, only tired makes me think its not a leptin issue. The only problem i'm having is feelign tired, none of the other symptoms of low leptin levels

Comment

It sounds like fasting and too much caloric deprivation are putting you into starvation mode. If I were you I would go back to your previous way of eating. Sometimes when we try to accelerate fat loss too much we can end up just stalling ourselves out.
                      Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Bill View Post
                        I've been eating strictly PB for about 7 weeks, keeping carbs on average at 75 grams per day. My goal is to reduce body fat while maintaining muscle (and eventually getting a six pack). I'm almost 100% certain i've been in ketosis for the last few weeks.

On monday i fasted the entire day (for the first time) while performing 30 mins of cardio. On both tues and wed i ate about 1500 calories per day.

On thursday, and today, i'm exhausted and feel completely tired and useless.

So my question comes down to - if you're in ketosis AND eat low calories for a few days, shouldn't your body respond by burning more stored body fat to keep energy levels up and make up for the calorie deficit? Why do i feel soooo tired?
                        Man, way too much conventional wisdom baggage mixed with misconceptions about fasting...

Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Bill View Post
                          The fact that i'm not hungry, only tired makes me think its not a leptin issue. The only problem i'm having is feelign tired, none of the other symptoms of low leptin levels
                          Eades articles aren't on Leptin...they are on starting a low-carb diet and the usual issues experienced...check it out...

Comment

What livin said...Proteins/fats(good ones of course). You need to reprogram that body.
                            Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

The MCT's in coconut oil are really good when your dragging on lower carbs. Your body didn't like the fast. Don't push those adrenals too hard.

Comment

Working...
                              X