Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All Natural Heavy Whipping Cream - Are Jersey cows grassfed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • All Natural Heavy Whipping Cream - Are Jersey cows grassfed?

    I got to try some grassfed heavy whipping cream when I was out of town recently and LOVED it! Sadly, I don't think I have access to grassfed here. I've even checked the local farm market & all they have is raw milk.

    Promised Land

    I saw this brand at The Fresh Market and was curious about Jersey cows. I know there's carageenan in it, but I don't see that as a big enough deal to keep me from adding the deliciousness to my coffee. Are Jersey cows grassfed?? If not, is this brand a good (not the best) choice for Primal? (I mean to not be part of my 80/20)

    Is this brand better, since it's organic? They're both ultrapasteurized, but Mark's wife drinks this one, so maybe it's okay. lol

    Organic Heavy Whipping Cream | Horizon
    Last edited by primalblonde; 08-24-2011, 09:16 AM.

  • #2
    Jersey cows may or may not be grass fed. Depends on who's keeping them.

    I get Whole Foods brand - no crap in it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by AuH2Ogirl View Post
      Jersey cows may or may not be grass fed. Depends on who's keeping them.

      I get Whole Foods brand - no crap in it.
      Exactly--"Jersey" is only a reference to the breed of cow, same as Guernsey, Holstein, etc. It says nothing at all about how the cows are cared for or the quality of the milk produced.

      Comment


      • #4
        If it helps, Trader Joe's sells pure pasteurized cream for $2.49/pint. That's a good price as it is and the only ingredient is "cream". I doubt it's grassfed, but it's pasteurized, not ultrapasteurized, so it doesn't have that "burnt" taste of the normal stuff you get in the grocery store that has to be thickened with carrageenan because the high heat breaks it down so much. I think it's really good and I've whipped it into cultured butter myself.
        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by AuH2Ogirl View Post
          Jersey cows may or may not be grass fed. Depends on who's keeping them.

          I get Whole Foods brand - no crap in it.
          Oh, I see. Well, of course you do, lol But the closest Whole Foods is 2 and a half hours away.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by honeypig View Post
            Exactly--"Jersey" is only a reference to the breed of cow, same as Guernsey, Holstein, etc. It says nothing at all about how the cows are cared for or the quality of the milk produced.
            Ohh. Well, man. That sucks. I guess I could email them and ask.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
              If it helps, Trader Joe's sells pure pasteurized cream for $2.49/pint. That's a good price as it is and the only ingredient is "cream". I doubt it's grassfed, but it's pasteurized, not ultrapasteurized, so it doesn't have that "burnt" taste of the normal stuff you get in the grocery store that has to be thickened with carrageenan because the high heat breaks it down so much. I think it's really good and I've whipped it into cultured butter myself.
              *sigh* If only I had a Trader Joe's...the closest one is five hours away. I went to one in California and fell in love. Then I met Whole Foods...and was never the same. LOL

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by primalblonde View Post
                *sigh* If only I had a Trader Joe's...the closest one is five hours away. I went to one in California and fell in love. Then I met Whole Foods...and was never the same. LOL
                I know the feeling. Every time I walk into Trader Joe's I spend at least twice what I wanted to spend. Last week, I went in to buy a pound of salmon and walked out with a pound of Coho salmon, a pound of Sockeye salmon (which was the BEST salmon I've ever had in my life), a can of pink salmon and anchovies. Their unsweetened kefir is great, their heavy whipping cream is the best I've found, they sell almond meal for $3.99/lb (which is incredible), their raw nuts selection is great and reasonably priced...I could go on and on. Don't get me wrong, their premade foods are HORRENDOUS - TJ's buys into the whole "arterycloggingsaturatedfat" thing and puts canola oil in just about EVERYTHING, so stay away from the premade stuff. I bought brown rice tortillas from there once because I was dying for a wrap, and there is safflower oil in them. I ate it anyway, but just be aware. Even so, it's still a great store and I've been buying more and more stuff from them. I just wish they'd start carrying raw milk.

                Now Whole Foods...that's just too damn expensive for me! Whoa.
                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Have you checked out this site to see if you live near a farm that sells raw milk?

                  Where Can I Find Real (Raw) Milk?

                  I have one only 20 miles away and we go up there every Saturday and get raw milk and raw cream. It is heavenly stuff!!!!

                  BTW Jersey cows have a higher butter fat content in their milk than holsteins and that makes for really nice creamy milk and thick cream. I got a really comprehensive cow lesson from the famer I buy the milk from. But, you have to ask what they are fed. Any breed can be grass-fed and that is what you primarily want. The bonus with grass-fed Jerseys is the high butter fat content of the milk and cream.
                  Last edited by pdovers; 08-24-2011, 08:43 AM.
                  Knee deep in the water somewhere got the blue sky breeze blowin' wind thru my hair only worry in the world is the tide gonna reach my chair. Zack Brown Band



                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                    I know the feeling. Every time I walk into Trader Joe's I spend at least twice what I wanted to spend. Last week, I went in to buy a pound of salmon and walked out with a pound of Coho salmon, a pound of Sockeye salmon (which was the BEST salmon I've ever had in my life), a can of pink salmon and anchovies. Their unsweetened kefir is great, their heavy whipping cream is the best I've found, they sell almond meal for $3.99/lb (which is incredible), their raw nuts selection is great and reasonably priced...I could go on and on. Don't get me wrong, their premade foods are HORRENDOUS - TJ's buys into the whole "arterycloggingsaturatedfat" thing and puts canola oil in just about EVERYTHING, so stay away from the premade stuff. I bought brown rice tortillas from there once because I was dying for a wrap, and there is safflower oil in them. I ate it anyway, but just be aware. Even so, it's still a great store and I've been buying more and more stuff from them. I just wish they'd start carrying raw milk.

                    Now Whole Foods...that's just too damn expensive for me! Whoa.
                    Yeah, Trader Joe's is awesome. And omgosh, all that stuff sounds amazinggg! As for Whole Foods being expensive, I think it can be, but for someone who has to go to the health food store to get grassfed beef from a local farm, the prices weren't as bad. I thought it was AWESOME that almost everything in their meat department was grassfed & almost all the cheeses were raw milk- I was in HEAVEN! Aaaahh, I want a TJ and Whole Foods, man!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by pdovers View Post
                      Have you checked out this site to see if you live near a farm that sells raw milk?

                      Where Can I Find Real (Raw) Milk?

                      I have one only 20 miles away and we go up there every Saturday and get raw milk and raw cream. It is heavenly stuff!!!!

                      BTW Jersey cows have a higher butter fat content in their milk than holsteins and that makes for really nice creamy milk and thick cream. I got a really comprehensive cow lesson from the famer I buy the milk from. But, you have to ask what they are fed. Any breed can be grass-fed and that is what you primarily want. The bonus with grass-fed Jerseys is the high butter fat content of the milk and cream.
                      Yeah, there's a farm market about 45 mins. away that has raw milk, but I've never tried it, so I didn't know if I should buy it or not. Is it as thick as heavy cream? Since you like it so much, I'm anxious to try it now! I emailed Promised Land, so hopefully I'll get an answer soon. Their heavy cream is soo good! I'm not getting my hopes up about it being grassfed, though.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Cream is the fatty part of the milk that floats on top, unless it has been skimmed off (skim milk) or homogenized, which means forced through a tiny-holed strainer to break the fat up so it doesn't rise anymore. There have been studies that indicated that homogenization doesn't allow your body to process that fat naturally, but I don't have any links for that.

                        Skim milk has all the fat skimmed off. Conventional whole milk usually has all the fat skimmed off, then about 3.5-4% added back. Low-fat milk is usually 1-2%.

                        A natural cow's milk is usually about 4% butterfat, give or take a bit. Some cows are as high as 7%. The butterfat that isn't put back onto the milk is used to make butter, or sold as cream.

                        Non-homogenized, or cream line (because you can see the line where the cream and the milk separate) milk tastes completely different from homogenized milk, but it can be hard to find sometimes.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
                          Cream is the fatty part of the milk that floats on top, unless it has been skimmed off (skim milk) or homogenized, which means forced through a tiny-holed strainer to break the fat up so it doesn't rise anymore. There have been studies that indicated that homogenization doesn't allow your body to process that fat naturally, but I don't have any links for that.

                          Skim milk has all the fat skimmed off. Conventional whole milk usually has all the fat skimmed off, then about 3.5-4% added back. Low-fat milk is usually 1-2%.

                          A natural cow's milk is usually about 4% butterfat, give or take a bit. Some cows are as high as 7%. The butterfat that isn't put back onto the milk is used to make butter, or sold as cream.

                          Non-homogenized, or cream line (because you can see the line where the cream and the milk separate) milk tastes completely different from homogenized milk, but it can be hard to find sometimes.
                          Interesting! But I'm confused. Are you saying it is a good choice bc it has a good bit of fat or it's not a good choice bc it's not raw?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X