Primal Hurricane Preparedness?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Hurricane Preparedness?

Virginia is getting her share of natural disasters this week - an earthquake (!!!) today and a hurricane coming through on Sunday. We have our fair share of hurricane scares, so I know the general guidelines of preparing our house, but I'm wondering about the best plan for food, if/when we lose power. It might be a silly question, but if anyone has any advice/creative solutions, please let me know! I'd like to eat something other than jerky if Irene strikes
    Jennifer, 28 years old
    Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
    Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

Canned coconut milk, protein powder, bananas (use these to make shakes with a bit of water), tuna, salmon, sardines. Hardboil up a day or two worth of eggs and pre-cook a pound of bacon
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

*nod nod* lots of canned fish. When it comes to a disaster, don't worry about staying primal! I have canned stuff on hand if we get snowed in, etc.
      I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Comment

Good ideas; thanks! I won't worry too much if I can't eat primal while the power is out, but I want to try my best and be prepared
        Jennifer, 28 years old

Comment

freeze enough meat to last a week, and freeze water. You can keep frozen stuff pretty well in a good freezer for a couple of days if the power goes out, and on ice in a cooler if it goes more than a few days. Kep your freezer doors shut as long as possible, and the insulatin should keep it cold longer. A freezer full of meat will stay colder than an empty one. Buy extra charcoal for a grill, and pick up root vegetables and squashes to keep on the counter. Canned tuna, coconut milk, and vegetables aren't all that bad in this kind of situation.

If you have a chest freezer, you can freeze gallon jugs of water to act as ice in the cooler as well. So you have drinking water as it melts. Stock up on tap water for bathing.

Have some booze handy. Hurricane parties aren't the same without it.
          Every Day is a New Adventure

Comment

Great advice - thank you!
            Jennifer, 28 years old

Comment

I don't have anything else to add, just wishing you safety. It looks like where I live, we'll just get the outer bands of Irene. I went to the grocery store on Monday and people were all ready stocking up on all their bread and water needs. I have a superstition that if I stock up on hurricane supplies then we'll get a direct hit.

Oh, I do have something to add. Make sure you have a couple of manual can openers in good working order. Nothing worse than trying to open a can by repeatedly stabbing it with a knife.
              kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Comment

After the hurricane is over, grilled looter is especially tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by kiss View Post
                  Oh, I do have something to add. Make sure you have a couple of manual can openers in good working order. Nothing worse than trying to open a can by repeatedly stabbing it with a knife.
                  Good point! We're old school and only have manual can openers, but this is exactly the type of thing that I would forget!

I haven't braved the supermarkets yet, but I imagine it is going to be a madhouse. I may need to make a stop at the library too for something to do if we lose power
                  Jennifer, 28 years old

Comment

If you've got a freezer full of expensive grass fed meat or anything else I would think about a generator (too late for Irene I suppose) or at a minimum a power inverter that can be run off the car. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=SPM188146481 It can be days before power is restored and a freezer ain't gonna hold that long unless chock full and UNOPENED for the duration.

Katrina was a horror show for sure but being below the river/sea level made that a special circumstance. For most of us near the coast the basics should suffice, water, batteries, propane, top off the car's gas tank. If you've still got a copper phone landline don't forget a hardwired old-fashioned phone.
                    Last edited by IvyBlue; 08-24-2011, 09:18 PM. Reason: dead link
                    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Luckily, we go grocery shopping weekly, so if we lose power, we shouldn't lose much in food. Thanks for reminding me about the phone!
                      Jennifer, 28 years old

Comment

camping stove, water filter.

Approach it like you may be going a little backwoods camping. Don't count on power, don't count on gas, and don't count on water. Get some iodine tabs just as well. Fill some water containers.

Make sure you have some fresh water stored, and like others have said, coolers with fresh water.

I also keep some dried foods, and to hell with my allergies. It shouldn't be too bad. Make sure you car's gas tanks are full as well.
                        My Fitday public journal.
                        Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                        Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                        Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

I'm in NYC and thinking about similar things. My main concern is food in case of a power outage - just about everything I eat requires refrigeration, cooking, or both. (And I'll want to try very hard to keep my fridge and freezer closed to avoid spoilage.) So far I've picked up canned tuna, almonds, dark chocolate, pepperoni (a concession to processedness for shelf-stability), blueberries, and some sweet cherry tomatoes. I'll roast up a bunch of vegetables tomorrow - those will keep at room temp pretty well.

But fruits & vegetables are easy. Is shelf-stable, ready-to-eat protein pretty much limited to canned fish and jerky? The only jerky I can get around here is junky 7-11 stuff... Ideas?

I suppose I could cook stuff up and... buy a small cooler? Fill it with ice and keep food there so I don't have to open the fridge? This is all getting elaborate and expensive.

Comment

NYC also, and I had originally planned to head down to DC (where I'm from originally) for the weekend for my birthday. It is sort of a debate over whether I'd rather be stuck in my apartment here and try not to get swept out to sea, or be stuck at a house there and try not to get swept out to sea. I'm leaning towards going, because I'd be in a house with 4 other people to keep me company rather than in my apartment alone. But getting home on Monday will probably be awful, so there's that. Stupid hurricane, ruining my birthday.

As far a shelf stable protein, if I were you (and if I stay I will) I would hard boil up a dozen eggs or so tonight. As long as you don't open your fridge/ freezer a lot it will stay pretty cold for a while. Hard boiled eggs don't need to be heated to eat, and even if your fridge totally melts they will actually stay a room temp-ish or a fair bit. And you can always plan to eat the eggs first and the jerky and tuna only if necessary. Plus, eggs meet almost all your nutritional needs. And yummy!
                            No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
                            -Maimonodies

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

Babes with BBQ

Comment

It's coming up here to Maine too, but will be downgraded to a tropical storm by then as the Atlantic Ocean usually kills these suckers. Regardless, heavy winds, rain, flooding, power outages, and all the other pandemonium that goes along with those types of events. Don't forget the outdoor grille comes in handy at times like this, no power needed, and oh yeah, stay dry!
                              You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

Working...
                              X