Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does your fat come from?

Hello All,

I am looking to boost the amount of fat I consume during the day and I was wondering what your main sources of Fat are?

Mine:
    Animal Fat (in the meat I eat, beef, pork, etc)
    Avocados
    Olive Oil
    Olives
    Nuts/Seeds

I am trying to cut back on Nuts/Seeds as I am trying to lose weight so wasn't sure what other good sources i was missing. Right now I usually have eggs/bacon for breakfast, a big salad with chicken thighs for lunch, and something similar to lunch for dinner. It just doesn't seem like i am getting enough fat in, maybe i just need to make sure i have avocados in all my salads.

Anyways, any other fat ideas would be great.

Thanks,

Drifter

i havent been eating nuts at all ..

meat is where my fat comes from .. i basically only eat meat and veggies.. fruit rarely .. avocados i add whenever i can ..

i honestly eat fattier cuts .. bacon, sausage, pork chops, pieces of whole chicken, fatty roasts, steaks, 75/25 hamburger meat when i can find it grass fed ... or grass fed and add bacon grease when i cook it ..
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Comment

I putl ots of butter on meat and vegetables. Butter on steak or chicken is delicious. Some people like to eat coconut oil by the spoonful right out of the jar.

Comment

Originally posted by touchdowntodd View Post
        i havent been eating nuts at all ..

meat is where my fat comes from .. i basically only eat meat and veggies.. fruit rarely .. avocados i add whenever i can ..

i honestly eat fattier cuts .. bacon, sausage, pork chops, pieces of whole chicken, fatty roasts, steaks, 75/25 hamburger meat when i can find it grass fed ... or grass fed and add bacon grease when i cook it ..

pretty much this. All my fat comes from the eggs/meat I eat and what I cook it in - butter, bacon grease, or coconut oil.

Comment

meats, cheese, some nuts, olive oil, bacon fat, butter...and the occasional avocado when i'm feeling wealthy. mostly eggs though...i eat at least 3 dozen a week.
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

1. coconut oil
            2. eggs
            3. meat

Comment

Definitely meats (lots of eggs, bacon & sausage)
              Coconut oil
              Total Fage Greek Yogurt = nice dessert with berries
              Butter
              Cheese (aged Gouda - yum!)
              Nuts
              Primal Krista
              The Paleo Lifestyle

Current primal weight: 134lbs (9/9/11)

Comment

Sounds like I need to go a little wilder with what I cook my food in and the types of meat I go with. I always read "lean meats" on this website as well as other paleo websites so I haven't been going crazy with fattier cuts, but maybe i should be doing that. Thanks everyone!

Comment

I personally don't feel you should sweat where the fat comes from, just so long as it's not the nasty toxic fats- the PUFAs, the omega6s. I get most of my fat from:
                  -eggs
                  -fatty meats like pork or beef
                  -some from kippers, sardines, salmon
                  -I add olive oil or butter to lean proteins like chicken breast, fish like snapper or tuna, etc.

That gives me all the fat I need to take myself up to 1600-1900kcal per day, after I've added the 100g of protein and the 90-100g of carb.

I have heard commentary that you should cut the protein down as well as the carbs and rely mostly on fat, and this gets you fat-burning faster. Dunno, though. I've never had to resort to that to get to my goal weight.

Your sources sound good, but if you want other options..

-butter. Seems like one of the staples, and I don't see it up there.
                  -other oils than olive oil. I'd have to look at the recommended fats list again to see what the good ones are.
                  -coconut oil (tends to be pricey), coconut milk (much more economical).

I feel like a broken record with this, lol, but just imo: it's wasted energy past a certain point trying to find the perfect optimal balance of macronutrients. Or the perfect perfect selection of foods. Fat is not magic, protein is not magic, even vegetables aren't magic, and I know this one's high treason to current healthy diet CW. I got the heaviest I've ever been eating a junkfood-heavy SAD. But after I lost down from 180lbs to 110lbs, I then slowly went back up to 155lbs.

And I gained that weight eating super super ultra mega hyper ultra-CLEAN food. I did everything I was supposed to do, I cheated NEVER. I believed the CW about magic foods that will magically make you lose weight. I believed the low carb CW about magic foods to lose weight. I LOST NOTHING. Zip. For 3 years. I stayed at 155lbs. I was the best dietary saint ever! I lost NADA.

Why?
                  Because although I was eating clean food, I WAS EFFING EATING TOO MUCH. Too many calories. Too much rabbit food and lean protein still = too many calories = automatic weight gain or weight maintenance.

I only bring this up because you mention cutting out nuts in an effort to lose weight. And maybe you already know all this jazz anyway. But I just want to save other people the frustration of trying to chase weight loss food magic. AND if you believe that fat is the magic food, that you just need MORE FAT, well... that could be good in that it makes you more satisfied with less food and you eat fewer calories. You will then lose weight. BUT it could also, since fat is very calorie dense, lead to eating too many calories in an effort to lose weight. Which is a recipe for banging your head against a brick wall.

Only advice I can give is: eat the diet that makes you happiest. That's just because, psychologically, no one can stick to a dietary change if it leaves them unhappy, constantly hungry, resentful of what they 'can't eat', etc. Make sure that 80% of that is good healthy foods. Do what you want with the other 20%. But make sure, if you want to lose weight, you stay at calorie deficit.

I lost the most amount of weight I've ever lost on a diet of coffee, ephedra (then, being 1998, it was legal), ice cream, chocolate bars and the occasional veggie-and-meat meal pushed on me at my parent's house, since they thought I was (a)on drugs and (b)turning into a goth and (c)neglecting my health, all of which, I guess, was kind of true! lol.

But the point is- I ate total shite and I lost weight. Because I ate fewer calories than I needed, even though most of what I ate was junk. I still came in below my daily BMR. (Being 18 at the time probably helped too, but the point still stands.)

So eat what you want. Get your BMR, figure out how fast you want to lose weight, get the numbers sorted out. Get healthy stuff and indulgence stuff in there- 80/20. If you are happy with 90/10, do that. Just make sure you're happy. Spend no time banging your head against the wall and wondering WHY you aren't losing weight when you eat all the magic food you were told to eat! etc. Have whatever treat you want- sometimes- and still lose weight.

Hope some of that was relevant/helpful.

Also- nuts are pretty good for snacks, if you like them. They travel well, you can throw them in your briefcase or purse when you'll be out all day, traveling, etc and there are usually no non-crap food options. Canadian aboriginal people did concoctions of nuts, berries, dried meat or fish as traveling food, so you can't get much more primal than that. Also, fat is pretty damn good too, so don't cut it all out. PB is right on, imo, with it's fat advice. Fat is good. But fat is not magic.
                  Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
                  "Cookie is a sometimes food."
                  "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
                  -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

Comment

Originally posted by CandylandCanary View Post
                    Why?
                    Because although I was eating clean food, I WAS EFFING EATING TOO MUCH. Too many calories. Too much rabbit food and lean protein still = too many calories = automatic weight gain or weight maintenance.
                    This! Eventhough you are eating good fats... you can still gain weight eating Primal if you do not perform some kind of calorie deficit.

Comment

Honestly I think one of my problems is that I am not eating ENOUGH calories and my body is just holding on to the fat. I am 6 ft 180 lbs and I just did a quick fitday calc and I am under 2000 calories easily everyday. So I am trying to get more fat in to boost the amount of calories I am getting because well it doesn't seem like enough for a guy my size and fat seems like the easiest way to do it. I am already getting about 140 grams of protein and about 50 grams of carbs (estimates, I don't actually measure) so i figured the rest should come from fat.

Also, I am fairly active so I need the extra calories. I ride my bike to work (4 miles round trip), play soccer once a week, hockey once a week and i lift 2 - 3 times a week. So yea, need more than 2000 calories.

I guess the reason I mentioned the nuts/seeds thing is because a lot of people mentioned nuts in particular affecting their weight so I wanted to give it a shot. This wasn't about the calories in them, well maybe a little, but more about trying to shake things up.

Comment

Originally posted by croí View Post
                        This! Eventhough you are eating good fats... you can still gain weight eating Primal if you do not perform some kind of calorie deficit.
                        I think the real 'trick' here is getting your body back to it's original metabolism before being thrown a curve-ball by eating really bad food for many years. A perfectly healthy person can periodically eat a calorie excess and not gain weight and periodically eat a calorie deficit and not lose weight. Your body wants to be lean and mean. Stressing over it and trying to game the system will not work. You need to eat good (primal) food, lift heavy things, sleep well, and walk a lot. This may take several years. Eventually your body should return to it's normal state and you will be very happy. This will work for most people, however there are some that have bigger problems and need to get medical help.

Comment

Honestly I think one of my problems is that I am not eating ENOUGH calories and my body is just holding on to the fat.
                          Hmm. I've heard conflicting things about this so-called 'starvation mode'. If you still have enough energy to work out (you mention that you're very active) and you aren't experiencing constant hunger and cravings, I'm skeptical that you are in it. But, of course, you can judge your own body way better than some stranger on the internet.

Maybe do a quick blood test or thyroid check? But only if you have other symptoms of hypothyroidism.

A calorie deficit should make you lose weight. So it could be a few things:
                          -you may be overestimating your actual level of calorie-burning. I've read studies that most 'I can't lose weight even though I eat a tiny amount of calories' types are actually wildly inflating how much they actually burn in exercise.
                          -OR (often both), they have 'dietary amnesia'. They underestimate how many calories they are actually eating. This one is super-common. If you don't keep count, and no funny business about not writing stuff down and thinking it 'doesn't count', you don't know what you're eating with any kind of precision. No one knows without counting. We're culturally trained to do this. Underestimate, overeat. Blame the SAD and the culture. :/

Rule that out first. Be SURE you are measuring activity and calories accurately.

You could also mess around with calorie counting but no restriction: just eat whatever you feel like- mostly primal- just so long as you write it down ACCURATELY and you eat when you're actually hungry. Continue to work out as usual. That could give you an intuitive sense of your calorie needs. Keep an eye on your weight when you do this, and do it for about 2 weeks, you'll want to get over the initial water retention when you change stuff up.

I am 6 ft 180 lbs and I just did a quick fitday calc and I am under 2000 calories easily everyday. So I am trying to get more fat in to boost the amount of calories I am getting because well it doesn't seem like enough for a guy my size and fat seems like the easiest way to do it. I am already getting about 140 grams of protein and about 50 grams of carbs (estimates, I don't actually measure) so i figured the rest should come from fat.
                          I'd say it could pay off to get a bit temporarily OCD about measuring. You don't have to do it forever and ever. Just until you get a sense of what's going on. A lot of people find this tedious, but it's not that hard. Fitday is a great tool. But if you don't report accurately- and most people who don't make a conscious effort don't- it can't help you.

If you do that and you find that- yup- accuracy still yields that you're truly eating less than 2000kcal per day- and you're still not losing anything- it's time to look into stuff like hypothyroidism.

I guess the reason I mentioned the nuts/seeds thing is because a lot of people mentioned nuts in particular affecting their weight so I wanted to give it a shot. This wasn't about the calories in them, well maybe a little, but more about trying to shake things up.
                          Weeeell, I suspect that nuts affect weight in most people just because nuts are both calorie-dense AND very easy to overeat AND most people eat them as 'snacks'. It's super-easy to eat 3-4 handfuls of nuts, which can clock in to 1000-1400kcal easily, then kind of forget you ate it because it was just a snack. So if you cut them out, you cut out an easy way to habitually overeat. That's about it.

If you think you might be accidentally doing this, by all means, cutting them down or out might help you out.

But a caveat is that you're a guy, and I rely mostly on personal experience (being a light-framed girl who doesn't build much muscle). I don't know what it's like to be a dude who plays hockey and soccer and lifts and (especially if you're also mid-20s or younger) is kind of automatically predisposed to build muscle. So augment anything I say with advice from men who play sports and are around your age. It could make a big difference.

Actually... now that I think about your stats... I don't have an intuitive sense of this for men, but isn't 180lbs getting a bit low for a 6ft adult man anyway? Unless you're light-framed. I know my brother is 6'1 and 25 years old, and extremely lean and fit due to martial arts and lifting, and he's 200lbs. But he's also an Irish mesomorph. If you're Asian or ectomorphic, you may indeed be overweight at 180lbs. I don't know.

I DO know that your body will-in just trying to keep you alive- resist weight loss when you get underweight. This saved my life when I was anorexic. I only went down to 105lbs before my body said 'okay, enough. I don't care what you do, we're staying here.' I think the rules may change somewhat when you get into that underweight area.

If this is a weightlifting thing, wanting to get super-lean, then I can't help much. Ask bodybuilders. They seem to know what they're doing.
                          Last edited by CandylandCanary; 08-23-2011, 02:01 PM.
                          Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
                          "Cookie is a sometimes food."
                          "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
                          -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                            pretty much this. All my fat comes from the eggs/meat I eat and what I cook it in - butter, bacon grease, or coconut oil.
                            Same here. I cook in heaps of coconut oil and slather things in coconut oil or butter. Olive oil for salads. Then I add coconut milk to things like eggs when I can or eat coconut milk treats for my main snacks. If I were to increase my fats, I'd add avocados to my eggs and salads.

Comment

The reason why they tell you to eat lean meats is usually because of the quality of the meats. If you're eating grass fed, then go for all the fat you want. If you're eating factory farmed meat from the grocery store, then the Omega 6 is higher and you want leaner to lessen that effect.

My latest addiction is green olives stuffed with bleu cheese. Insanely good and there's some fat in there too. Other than that, my main sources of fat are meat, butter, avocado, olive oil, cheese and a few random things like almond butter, but that's just me.
                              Durp.

Comment

Working...
                              X