Happiness of Ancestral/Primal/Tribal Societies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happiness of Ancestral/Primal/Tribal Societies

Hey there, I'm looking for sources, anthropological or other..that talk about the mental health, well-being and happiness of tribal/hunter-gatherer societies.

I know Weston Price's book- Nutrition and Physical Degeneration has some good stuff on this. Anyone know of any other quality sources of information?
    I went and lived with hunter-gatherer tribes and wrote a book on what we can learn from them. The Awakened Ape

I grew up in a mostly tribalized Maori village, if you have specific questions.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Comment

Hi Nion,

Very interesting, I'm looking for people though with very little modern contact, and I need scientific sources (i'm writing a paper)

But yes I am curious!
      Tribal Maori Village? Were you hunter-gathers? What was daily life like? Were you happy? stressed?
      I went and lived with hunter-gatherer tribes and wrote a book on what we can learn from them. The Awakened Ape

Comment

EP, have you got access to your university library databases? I'm at uni and can access just about any psychology or anthropology paper written in the last century, it's awesome. There must have been some good scholarly work done on it.
        If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

Comment

How would we make a psychological profile of them if we've not had much contact? Hidden cameras?
          In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

By not much contact, I mean it would be unlikely that they would speak english/ ever have access to a computer as Nion has...

People like the Hadza..

The Hadza — National Geographic Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by EvolutionaryPsychologist View Post
              By not much contact, I mean it would be unlikely that they would speak english/ ever have access to a computer as Nion has...

People like the Hadza..

The Hadza — National Geographic Magazine
              so you're looking for them on the internet?

Comment

Originally posted by spakesneaker View Post
                so you're looking for them on the internet?
                I'm asking if anyone knows of any books, papers, articles, studies...

I gave an example of Weston Price's - Nutrition and Physical Degeneration as an example.

Comment

No but I would love to see your paper when it is completed.
                  Grass Fed Beef Restaurants

Comment

Originally posted by EvolutionaryPsychologist View Post
                    I'm asking if anyone knows of any books, papers, articles, studies...

I gave an example of Weston Price's - Nutrition and Physical Degeneration as an example.
                    oh, my bad. This book is not directly relevant but has some relevant and interesting stuff about the leisure time of h/g societies vs. agri/industrial societies: A Farewell to Alms: A Brief Economic History of the World [Book]

Comment

scholar.google.com
                      My Fitday public journal.
                      Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                      Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                      Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

I don't have any books or articles to steer you towards but I have worked in many countries and seen how cultures that were pretty much intact a few decades ago have been turned, 180 degrees in some cases, by the introduction of Western culture. Talking to friends in this country, it seemed like their recent ancestors were pretty happy with their lives because they did not know of anything different. Hunter-gatherer, whatever, it was "it is what it is". Families stayed together for support, they worked the farm or whatever.

Then when TV came in, they saw something different and perhaps better than what they had and it changed their perception of happiness or what it took to be happy. Suddenly they were being told that they were behind or backwards if they did not have Levis, fancy cars, cell phones, etc.

It would be like if aliens landed in the US tomorrow and showed us that on their planet, everyone was rich, lived to be 500 years old in perfect health and didn't have to work. Suddenly our life would not seem as good as it did the day before.

I remember an article in the newspaper back in the 90s about an Eskimo tribe that basically lost their hundred, or thousands year old culture and the single factor that did it was the introduction of satellite. Here is a link to a similar article but I can't find the original one: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cacheDwPwEdd2_IJ:arctic.synergiesprairies.ca/arctic/index.php/arctic/article/download/1787/1766+satellite+tv+eskimo+tribe+loss+of+culture&hl= en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiv-aLrIVKWgvnuJvVAlAWdSJQxfxCFs4XJniKvF_gqu07HbkLiXm8 XoAhNajPZ6YTzncK_mDROFjFtqGhx9agR03Qmp-veLje7UNjeIjKWSMV7sSfg0nMeMeLbSj2m4MAPmWTx&sig=AHI EtbTNqVwpDoTzTt0miJPNF1ZcdWfkYQ
                        Last edited by texas.grok; 08-22-2011, 08:45 PM.
                        Randal
                        AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                        Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                        http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Consider The Continuum Concept by Jean Liedloff. also, if you google, the first thing that comes up is "scholarly articles on the continuum concept." so, worth a look.

Comment

I think the Evolutionary Psychology and Biology Applied to Health, Business, and Relationships man can help you
                            Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

Comment

The continuum concept was helpful. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X