Salad dressing container?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salad dressing container?

I currently mix and store salad dressing in tupperware, but I'm trying to move away from plastics. Can anyone recommend a non-plastic container that works well? I heard a french press coffee pot might work. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

if you have a glass bottle left over from Extra Virgin Olive Oil, you could mix it up in there and keep it in the fridge.

My husband's family uses mason jars to make/store theirs.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

How about a small milk bottle? I got one from k-mart (martha stewart collection several years ago) and I've seen them at wal-mart before too.

Comment

Mason jars are great for everything!

Of course, it doesn't have a pour spout, which it seems you are looking for. You could use a left over store bought salad dressing bottle. It would have the right shape.

Comment

I use the le parfait jar with the rubber seal, has a nice wide mouth so I can use a stick blender to emulsify the dressing. I use a spoon to get it out so the mouth stays clean.

Comment

I use left-over glass jars from tomato sauce. I store the dressing in these jars and to work, I carry my dressing in baby food jars that I got from my sister.

Comment

Another vote for mason jars! They come in lots of different sizes, find in any grocery store... Just made my first batch of baconnaise and stored it in one tonight

Comment

I keep any glass jars I get and clean off the labels. Then I use them to store just about everything

I've found that spice containers (think of the McCormick 2oz spice jars that you probably have in your pantry) make perfect single serving dressing containers! Whenever I take salad for lunch or need my own dressing I just do 2 tablespoons of oil, 1 tablespoon vinegar, a squeeze of dijon and some spices, put the lid on, and it's ready to shake up and go.

You are what you eat,
                and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

I peel the label off my old Kombucha bottles and use them for dressing. I find that they close nice and tight so they don't leak on my trip to work and I can make a few days' worth and leave it in the fridge there.

Comment

I use the thick glass container my heavy cream comes in. It's got a nice pop-on lid and pours well.

Or a mason jar.

Comment

Thanks for all the good tips! Looks like I'll have to start experimenting with reusing glass bottles.

Comment

You can also use glass coke bottles (just saying). I was thinking about a pump action type device (like a soap dispenser) but I don't think I've seen any dispensers not made out of plastic.

After a quick search, I found this:

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin48a.html

http://www.kitchenkapers.com/uptown-glass-salad-dressing-bottle.html

http://www.amazon.com/Steel-Function...ref=pd_sim_k_2

Comment

A person can find just about anything using the search option on this site. I was searching for what containers to use for homemade salad dressings and voila! I found this thread. I think I'll go with the small mason jars I've had collecting dust in the cupboard above the fridge!

One question though... how long, really, can the dressing be in the fridge before it goes foul? Are we talking a week or more like 3 or 4 days? I just made some honey mustard and have a lot (well, maybe 3/4 cup) left over. It is actually delicious, has a little bit of bite to it and went really well with the suggested salad from "Paleo Power Lunch" that I found in the library. Yahoo!

Comment

Originally posted by Gramma C View Post
                            One question though... how long, really, can the dressing be in the fridge before it goes foul? Are we talking a week or more like 3 or 4 days? I just made some honey mustard and have a lot (well, maybe 3/4 cup) left over. It is actually delicious, has a little bit of bite to it and went really well with the suggested salad from "Paleo Power Lunch" that I found in the library. Yahoo!
                            My experience with vinegar, oil, mustard dressing is that it's fine, even a month later. The online recipes will be very conservative as far as shelf-life, but I think they are only covering their backsides...
                            50yo, 5'3"
                            SW-195
                            CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                            GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Glass, glass, glass!!

Mason jars are wonderful. But... Say for instance you have to buy a bottle of water when you're out because you can't get access to a reliable and safe source of uncontaminated water (it happens). Well, for GODS sake buy GLASS bottles ONLY if that's the case. BPA is no joke.

Bonus? Keep those god damn bottles and use them as the perfect container for fermented foods, sauces, dressings, safe, reusable water containers, for all kinds of storage purposes. Glass is without a doubt safer than plastic, even the so-called "bpa-free" types!

Slowly, over time, I have accumulated more and more of these bottles and it doesn't seem to matter. I ALWAYS find a use for them.
                              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Working...
                              X