Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody Not feel so good on some of the meat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody Not feel so good on some of the meat?

I just started to switch our food over to PB because of my girls' newly discovered sensitivities to grains and I find that beef gives me a nasty stomach ache. I used to kind of read up on the Blood Type Diet, and supposedly I am the most vegetarian of the blood types. Now I am not following that diet, but it does give me pause after having pain in the gut. Is this something that is common with beef or am I just not supposed to be eating it? I have even been taking enzymes with it, and it has made no difference.

I'm type A negative which would make me a vegetarian. I thrive on the beef. Tofu can GTFO.

Comment

I have no trouble at all with beef, and find it easiest. Lamb is my next choice. Pork I'm usually fine with, but if my stomach is feeling a bit tender I usually avoid it, or go with darker cuts. Poultry, particularly chicken, can give me a real gut ache, if my stomach is already a bit sore I avoid chicken like the plague.

I think that people do have sensitivities to different foods, including meats, but also that people are individuals and have to figure out what works for them, and what doesn't.
      Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

First of all, the Blood Type Diet has no basis in science whatsoever. Put it out of your mind.

That being said, I do generally have a harder time eating red meat and poultry, and pork to a lesser extent. Seafood, however, I could pound back until I'm blue in the face.

I'd say just take the same approach you should with any other food. If it bothers you, stop eating it. It might be a gut issue, it might be psychological, but ultimately it is what it is and you have to make do.
        “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

Grain-fed, or grass-fed? I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but cows are supposed to eat grass and have health problems from eating grains.

Personally, I can't do chicken or non-fatty seafood without adding a significant amount of fat, or I get really really hungry in short order.

Comment

I don't feel great eating a lot of pork, other than bacon (usually a couple slices, uncured, once or twice a week, so it's not much). I'll cook a pork loin every now and then, or do a pork butt in the crockpot, carnitas style. I'll enjoy a serving or two, but more than that and I feel sort of weird.
            My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

My brother has trouble with certain antibiotics that are used in commercial livestock production and can end up in the meat. You may be sensitive to something like that--are you eating conventional or organic meats?
              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Minagelina View Post
                I just started to switch our food over to PB because of my girls' newly discovered sensitivities to grains and I find that beef gives me a nasty stomach ache. I used to kind of read up on the Blood Type Diet, and supposedly I am the most vegetarian of the blood types. Now I am not following that diet, but it does give me pause after having pain in the gut. Is this something that is common with beef or am I just not supposed to be eating it? I have even been taking enzymes with it, and it has made no difference.
                When I wanted to get my dog acclimated to beef I started her with lamb, and then veal, and now she can tolerate beef just fine. You might want to try a similar progression.

Then again, why bother? You don't *have* to eat beef. Just eat a real food, and not some tofurkey frankenbeast.

Minor note: uncured "bacon" is just pork. Although, if salted, it *IS* cured, and becomes salt pork. Once nitrates or saltpeter is used it is bacon.
                My Fitday public journal.
                Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

Chicken stops me up like a cork. I thrive on grass fed beef, grain fed not so much but it doesn't hurt like chicken. Goat, lamb, pork, duck all good. Turkey not so much. Fish is fine, I don't get a big kick out of it like I do beef though.

Comment

Originally posted by davem View Post

Minor note: uncured "bacon" is just pork. Although, if salted, it *IS* cured, and becomes salt pork. Once nitrates or saltpeter is used it is bacon.
                    Interesting. I get the Applewood smoked bacon from Trader Joe's, it just says uncured/nitrate-free on the package, but I'm sure there's salt in it, and it has a nice bacon-y flavor. I actually found some sliced pork belly at a local Japanese market, I cooked it the same as any bacon, just to compare. I seasoned it with salt. It was good, but more pork-y and less bacon-y, if that makes sense.
                    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

I also don't tolerate beef too well, and base my protein intake almost exclusively on mackerel (one entire can, bones and all, per day) and wild salmon, and sometimes oysters and tuna, etc. I use grass-fed beef fat to make my cooking oil (is it tallow?), and cut it in half with coconut oil. But a big steak by itself never has done me well. Not sure what it is. Maybe the oily meat just balances things out digestively somehow?
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                        My brother has trouble with certain antibiotics that are used in commercial livestock production and can end up in the meat. You may be sensitive to something like that--are you eating conventional or organic meats?
                        Organic and pastured, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by lucyh View Post
                          Interesting. I get the Applewood smoked bacon from Trader Joe's, it just says uncured/nitrate-free on the package, but I'm sure there's salt in it, and it has a nice bacon-y flavor. I actually found some sliced pork belly at a local Japanese market, I cooked it the same as any bacon, just to compare. I seasoned it with salt. It was good, but more pork-y and less bacon-y, if that makes sense.
                          Smoking is a method of preservation, and curing. There's salt in it too (I know the product), which is also a method of curing... So the curing they mean is a marketing term that they're using for nitrates.

I've actually been thinking lately of experimenting with using spinach mash that's been dried and ground as my source for the sodium nitrate for a batch of bacon. I really wonder how that would work out.
                          My Fitday public journal.
                          Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                          Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                          Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

Working...
                          X