Unsalted Cashews

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsalted Cashews

Ok so I looked high and low for unsalted cashews in my area. Ended up ordering some online, I turn the bin around and it says Ingredients: Cashews, Canola Oil. May contain wheat or soy.

Will they still be fine to eat? I ordered 4 pounds of the things :/

Definitely practice moderation with them. Maybe consider them part of your 20% non-primal food allowance.

And what's wrong with salt, besides making cashews more addictive than heroine?
    Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Comment

Originally posted by Laconophile View Post
      Definitely practice moderation with them. Maybe consider them part of your 20% non-primal food allowance.

And what's wrong with salt, besides making cashews more addictive than heroine?
      I guess I was just trying to go low on the salt too. I would bet that even the regular salted ones have canola oil with them as well.

So far I haven't really practiced my 20% allowance, I've just been eating meats and fruits. Except I went out and had a drink last night at the bar, but thats one drink in a span of two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofish1 View Post
        I guess I was just trying to go low on the salt too. I would bet that even the regular salted ones have canola oil with them as well.

So far I haven't really practiced my 20% allowance, I've just been eating meats and fruits. Except I went out and had a drink last night at the bar, but thats one drink in a span of two weeks.
        I doubt there is very much canola oil in them. Cashews are pretty dense, not porous like potato chips fried in canola oil. Just eat them in moderation like all nuts, maybe eat more omega-3s too.

EDIT: Are cashews even primal in the first place? Or are they in a grey area?
        Last edited by Laconophile; 08-18-2011, 05:09 PM.

Comment

EDIT: Are cashews even primal in the first place? Or are they in a grey area?
          If I remember correctly, they're just really high in carbs, even more than most nuts.
          Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
            If I remember correctly, they're just really high in carbs, even more than most nuts.
            Aren't they inedible raw though? I thought being edible raw was one of the basic litmus tests of primal food?

Comment

They are also legumes, but that isn't automatic grounds for exclusion (see green beans). I think they're a decent option, but should be eaten in extreme moderation just like any nut due to high omega-6 content.

Comment

Unless your crazy-perfect Primal in every other aspect of your life pondering the cashews is such a minor thing you shouldn't worry about it at all. The wheat/soy warning is usually because the facility that made them also processes products that contain wheat or soy. As for the little amount of canola oil: again, a very, very, very minor thing.
                Life is short: Void the warranty.

Comment

Hmm...

Not sure. They're technically seeds, but that's about the extent of my knowledge.
                  Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                    They are also legumes, but that isn't automatic grounds for exclusion (see green beans). I think they're a decent option, but should be eaten in extreme moderation just like any nut due to high omega-6 content.
                    The omega-6 content in cashews isn't too bad though, is it? I'm not sure how accurate this info is, but here's what I found for omega-6 content of nuts:

Omega-6, g per 1oz : nut or seed

0.4 : macadamia nuts
                    2.2 : cashews
                    2.2 : hazelnuts
                    3.4 : almonds
                    3.8 : pistachios
                    4.3 : peanuts
                    5.8 : brazil nuts
                    5.8 : pecans
                    9.4 : pine nuts
                    10.7 : walnuts
                    Last edited by The Big L; 08-18-2011, 06:36 PM. Reason: corrected Omega-6 value for pistachios

Comment

Originally posted by The Big L View Post
                      The omega-6 content in cashews isn't too bad though, is it? I'm not sure how accurate this info is, but here's what I found for omega-6 content of nuts:

Omega-6, g per 1oz : nut or seed

0.4 : macadamia nuts
                      2.2 : cashews
                      2.2 : hazelnuts
                      3.4 : almonds
                      4.3 : peanuts
                      5.8 : brazil nuts
                      5.8 : pecans
                      9.4 : pine nuts
                      10.7 : walnuts
                      16.2 : pistachios
                      I find your post very helping. We're encouraged to eat nuts daily or such, and Walnuts is very high up on Mark's list of approved nuts, but has a much higher 6 content.

The thing about my nuts consumption is that I come home, and i may have, literally, 4 to 5 almonds daily as a snack. Same goes for the cashews (although 4 to 5 for cashews is hard to enforce, they are delicious...). But from what I'm gathering from the other posts I should be alright in moderation.

I've lost more than ten pounds so far eating Primal, and nuts have really helped me carry through the snack periods. It's been about 5 years since I have been below 200 pounds in weight. So cashews then

Comment

Thanks BigL. They aren't as high in omega-6 as I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofish1 View Post
                          I find your post very helping. We're encouraged to eat nuts daily or such, and Walnuts is very high up on Mark's list of approved nuts, but has a much higher 6 content.
                          Walnuts are somewhat of a special case because of their decent omega-3 content. The ratio of Omega 6:3 in walnuts is still something like 5:1, which certainly isn't ideal if your diet consists entirely of walnuts.

FYI, here's Mark's own take on nuts and omega 6: Nuts and Omega 6 Fats | Mark's Daily Apple. Note that he has some slightly different values for some of those nuts. Also note that I made a mistake in my original post for the Omega-6 content in pistachios. I've updated my post with the correct value.

The thing about my nuts consumption is that I come home, and i may have, literally, 4 to 5 almonds daily as a snack. Same goes for the cashews (although 4 to 5 for cashews is hard to enforce, they are delicious...). But from what I'm gathering from the other posts I should be alright in moderation.
                          Personally I wouldn't be concerned about a serving or two (1 oz per serving) of almonds or cashews per day. If you're only eating 4-5, that's probably ~ 1/4 serving, so you have a little wiggle room there.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big L View Post
                            Walnuts are somewhat of a special case because of their decent omega-3 content. The ratio of Omega 6:3 in walnuts is still something like 5:1, which certainly isn't ideal if your diet consists entirely of walnuts.

FYI, here's Mark's own take on nuts and omega 6: Nuts and Omega 6 Fats | Mark's Daily Apple. Note that he has some slightly different values for some of those nuts. Also note that I made a mistake in my original post for the Omega-6 content in pistachios. I've updated my post with the correct value.

Personally I wouldn't be concerned about a serving or two (1 oz per serving) of almonds or cashews per day. If you're only eating 4-5, that's probably ~ 1/4 serving, so you have a little wiggle room there.
                            That's honestly all I need to tide me over, and also I still get some good nutrients from them as well so I try to have some daily.

Comment

Cashews are totally edible raw. I eat raw cashews all the time, I really prefer the flavor.

Aren't they inedible raw though? I thought being edible raw was one of the basic litmus tests of primal food?
                              No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
                              -Maimonodies

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

Babes with BBQ

Comment

Working...
                              X