Primal Bulking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Bulking

What is the best way to bulk while still staying primal? Preferably within a condensed eating window.

I decided I need to gain some mass this winter. Once summer arrives, I'm going to cut. I will then have access to a nearby track where I can do HIIT.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

I&#39;m working on that too. I just eat a little more each meal and add a glass of whole milk.

Are you lifting heavy?

Comment

As heavy as it gets lol and going up every week. I think I&#39;m going to start eating a lot more carbs also, up to 200 grams on my lifting days. Funny how that&#39;s still considered low-carb to most bodybuilders!

Comment

I do add a sweet potatoe in here and there. I&#39;ve found that bulking primal vs bulking the old way... the muscle I&#39;m building is dense where as the old way it was "puffy"... I guess it&#39;s less water...

Comment

Could be because your muscles were constantly filled with glycogen, which holds a lot of water.

Comment

I will start bulking next week myself.

Next week and the week after I am going to see if I can pin down my maint level for calories.

I had spent from Aug-now in a cal def. I went from 22-23% bf to 15-16% bf. I figure the last bit of bf will come off easier if I have more muscle.

Since I have 160lbs LBM my goal is 180 LBM so 20lbs in 5-6 months.

I am going to do the Big 5 Myo-Rep style 2 times a week.

I have been eating Leangains style for a few weeks now. It is pretty awesome. It is like Warrior diet but you eat a little bit before you work out then the rest after. In total it is an 8 hour eating window. 2-10 for me most days or 3-11 on workout days.

Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

I&#39;m stuck on 12 percent body fat. I know this is the part where one really has to work hard to get ripped, so I&#39;m going to leave that for the summer when I can sprint outside.

I hope that bulking with only one meal a day will prevent any fat gain while promoting lots of muscle building. That&#39;s what I&#39;m looking for. I&#39;m going to give it a shot and risk gaining a few pounds of fat.

Comment

If you have not gone to Lean Gains dot com you should check it out. It has a lot of good info even if you stay with worrior diet.

Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

Thanks. I did check it out.

Is there anything in particular that you guys eat when bulking?

Aside from the usual lots of meat and fats, I&#39;m going to be adding a lot more sweet potatoes, quinoa and bananas, and occasionally soaked brown rice.

Today I made quinoa with mashed bananas, topped it with cashews and butter, and man was that delicious! Then I melted 100% dark chocolate and coated another banana (they were small) in it... still only at ~100 grams of carbs.

I would drink lots of milk too, but organic/grass-fed is sort of expensive as a stable.. and I want to avoid the commercial one at all costs...

Comment

Are nuts okay for bulking? I just ate a crap load of cashews... I feel really bad now

Comment

Raphael, are the extra carbs just to add glycogen and imaginary bulk? I eat grass fed beef, eggs, chicken, sardines, salmon, etc. I workout hard along the lines of Crossfit. Can&#39;t stop gaining weight if I tried and it&#39;s not fat accumulation. My experience is only one person, but I cannot figure out why everybody feels obligated to eat carbs in order to workout. Especially trying to bulk...other than the artificial weight gain of glycogen loading what benefit do they provide?

Comment

How is it artificial...? Eating a sweet potato is MUCH better than injecting steroids at least don&#39;t you think?

I already went over my personal benefits many times here... I feel better with carbs. My lifting has improved dramatically with 100 grams of it per day, as opposed to -30 grams. I was suffering at the gym during those three long very-low-carb months.

Besides, below 200 grams is still considered low-carb. I don&#39;t ever plan on going over that. Even today that I totally pigged out in the kitchen I must have gotten only about 150 gross carbs!

So, I&#39;m eating just enough to spare protein from gluconeogenesis. And it&#39;s not for bulk. It&#39;s for the performance. I want to avoid those big soft muscles by all means lol I want defined and hard muscles, which will be achieved during my "cut" (I don&#39;t like using bodybuilding terms...)

Comment

I agree with Get Primal. Carbs aren&#39;t required for building muscle. They just make you fat (and then your training suffers when you try to cut)

If your lifts are suffering, then it is more likely that you are over training.

I was also reading the other day that keeping your muscle glycogen stores full makes them less sensitive to glycogen (no surprise). They then can&#39;t burn and store fuel as efficiently.

ie. Eating lots of carbs actually slows your progress.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
                          Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
                          Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

alright, just stick to your diet and I&#39;ll stick to mine. I&#39;m doing what I feel is best. I&#39;m tired of people here being scared of carbs. you know what i think about it? i think that it&#39;s just as bad as cw&#39;ers who fear fat.

what&#39;s overtraining to you? anything more than once a week? hah, well if you ate some carbs your performance would go way up. you wouldn&#39;t have to wait a whole week for your muscles to recover.

besides, you don&#39;t even know how I train. my lifts were suffering because I wasn&#39;t consuming carbs. it&#39;s that simple. you (at least I and most people) can&#39;t lift heavy on a glycogen depleted state. do i need to remember you that not everybody gets to eat 2-3 pounds of grass-fed meat a day...?

please, read some of mark&#39;s own posts. he advises on some carb intake, especially for building. 150 grams is still maintenance, regardless. unless you&#39;re saying mark&#39;s wrong too.

man, i miss bobbylight.

Comment

So you ask for advice on a topic, and when people give advice you don&#39;t believe in you go off, tell them they&#39;re wrong adn how they could be doing better.

Why ask the question, you already know what&#39;s best. I&#39;m seeing wonderful results with my methods, as is Tarlach. You are clearly struggling with yours, or you wouldn&#39;t be asking for advice. What am I missing here?

And yes, I&#39;ve read many of Mark&#39;s posts. Neither Tarlach nor I are saying Mark is right or wrong about anything. We were giving advice based on our positive experiences, trying to help YOU with YOUR request. As you said, just stick with what you&#39;re doing, I&#39;m sure things will work out.

Comment

Working...
                              X