Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think the Primal Blueprint is for everyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It surprises me that when many people discuss the efficacy of PB they only talk diet. Remember PB is a full lifestyle, not a diet. So I would question that for those that PB didn't help, were they just following the diet aspect? Remember, the other components (sprints, heavy lifting etc) are also key components in readjusting your body back to it's more natural state.

So, to the OP, what does the rest of your lifestyle look like? Did you have any success incorporating the rest of the lifestyle?

Comment

If your body needs kumara to feel good, then go for it, I say! Everyone's different, you sound like you need more carbs to feel good. I get like that when I hit normal weight myself.

Comment

I feel there's enough wiggle-room within PB to adjust according to your own needs. Remember - there is also the 80/20 rule, should you need more of an adjustment. But do give it a fair shot before giving up.
        Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Comment

Originally posted by sroelofs View Post
          It surprises me that when many people discuss the efficacy of PB they only talk diet. Remember PB is a full lifestyle, not a diet. So I would question that for those that PB didn't help, were they just following the diet aspect? Remember, the other components (sprints, heavy lifting etc) are also key components in readjusting your body back to it's more natural state.

So, to the OP, what does the rest of your lifestyle look like? Did you have any success incorporating the rest of the lifestyle?
          I agree with this 100%

What you eat, yes! But...

-Being physically active in a way that allow optimal gene expression.
          -Get enough sleep
          -PLAY, damnit!
          -Minimize and manage stress

are ALL just as important!

But, one comment on the "Diet" aspect. When you cut the carbs, did you ramp up a corresponding (from a caloric standpoint) amount of healthy fat? Cutting carbs, but leaving fat consumption where it was at before was a first class BITCH for me. I felt just the way you described...like I was missing something and I wasn't seeing much progress at the scale. Turns out that I was pretty much starving myself. I just read the chapter on "Hunger" in GCBC by Taubes and the experience I was going through (including the lack of weight loss) makes total sense now.

Luckily, I sorta figured this out and upped my fat consumption -- coconut milk was my friend -- and it made all the difference in the world. I now walk by plates of carb crap (like pretzels, bagels, pastries, etc.) at work without even feeling a tinge.
          Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
          Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Comment

The wife is Swedish and can easily digest milk. Makes me mad, but it's true. So she doesn't have to avoid it, especially since converting to raw milk. Me? I just ate the meat trimmings from a 5 lb. pile of fat cuts I'm rendering. Best pile of fatty meat in my life? Yes. Am I satisfied? Very much so. I probably won't need dinner, maybe just a plate of veggies for the nutrition of it. PB DOES fit my nutritional needs, so I am a huge fan. I just bought some sweet potatoes and fried one up yesterday. I found little satisfaction in the starchy item. I genuinely have come to know fats as my main energy provider. I don't want to lean down too much, so I'm eating the potatoes to stay a little soft. But I know if I didn't try to maintain my weight here at around 170 pounds I'd look ridiculously lean. This down from a grain-fed and puffy 215 pounds. I'm better off this way, easily.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I agree with all of you who said that Primal is flexible enough to work for everyone. More thoughts
              Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Yes, I think it is for everyone. Especially in the stricter sense How could it not be. Kind of the point of all of this. Humans evolved eating in a location based, primal style and were active.

Specific health needs warrant specific measures (supplement, drugs, avoidance of allergens, etc..). And, I think many getting off the grains and sugars could really benefit from some group therapy/education that deals with addiction.

Comment

Thanks so much to all that participated in this thread! I am struggling so bad right now! I lost a significant amount of weight (and felt pretty awesome to be honest) on a high-carb, low-fat diet, but I was also working out every day and spending all my free time doing it. 40 lbs lost later and I was completely burnt out. On a PB diet I feel amazing but often feel like I'm missing something as well. I think if I amp up the fat it will help. I am a sucker for a high-fat/high-carb combo meal, like a nice greasy cheese quesadilla, but if I can have a little white rice or red potato that seems to do the trick. This is my umteenth try at PB, because I know it's going to work for me once I get it down. Just getting there is the hard part! I have a problem with overeating, especially when I get home from work, likely due to stress, and man can I pack in the food! I am amazed at how much food I can consume in one sitting! And my husband is "lean" and eats whatever he wants because he is active all day long, so that's hard for me too. Reading the comments here, I feel much better. It will take time, but I'll get there.

Comment

Stay away from the grains (quesadilla) right now, eat the filling, and rice if necessary.
                    My (320lb) Hubby has just ditched pasta, bread and sugar...and is eating a ton of meat and veg right now. He misses sweets more than anything. But, hey, he looks less bloated, his legs feel better, (wicked massive varicose veins) and his skin cleared up. In a month.
                    He was never one for beans, so I don't have to fight him there...I miss Boston baked beans sometimes, or Black beans and rice, but, if I want it THAT bad, I give myself permission...
                    I just don't remember wanting to blow up like a tick and look 6 months preggo, when I am not, so I choose not to eat those things!

Comment

Working...
                    X