Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Staying in the 'sweet spot'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Staying in the 'sweet spot'

    Hi all,

    I started my primal path yesterday and was wondering if one of you seasoned primalists could give me some guidance on staying within that 50-100 g carbs/day range.

    What do you eat to avoid going into ketosis? When I'm not eating grains or sugar I find it hard to eat more than 50g, especially if leaving dairy out too. I don't want to stay in ketosis for long, though, so would like to know the best way to bring the numbers up a bit. What would you recommend? Eat lots of fruit? Potatoes? Dark chocolate every day? Nuts and veggies are not getting me there.

    Many thanks!

    (PS. I haven't finished Mark's book yet and I understand the answer might be there.)

  • #2
    If all you want to do is get over 50g of carbs a day then I say just enjoy some fruit. It's natural, nutritious, relatively filling (thanks to fiber and water content), and tastes good. One large apple and a cup of blueberries will get you around 50 grams.

    If you want a more concentrated source then go for the potatoes. One decent sized potato will easily do it.
    Last edited by ciep; 08-16-2011, 08:32 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Don't forget about sweet potatoes as well. They're a great primal carb.
      http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

      Comment


      • #4
        Sweet potato(I prefer regular though as the starch does not affect my weight), fruit(I do bananas) dark chocolate, coconut water(expensive though), veggies, coconut milk are my sources. I had a big baked potato yesterday and only hit 44g carbs for the day. A lot of tomatoes for me right now since there are 33 plants producing a bumper crop in my back yard.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks very much for the suggestions, guys. I wasn't sure whether to go with fruit, starchy veg or something else as anywhere I look, I find people giving arguments against them...

          I made myself a big fat smoothie for breakfast this morning (200 ml coconut milk, strawberries and a banana) and already got close to 50g. Tasted amazing. Looking forward to having sweet potatoes later this week - am coming from a low-carb diet that didn't allow them!

          Cheers.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by camilart View Post
            Thanks very much for the suggestions, guys. I wasn't sure whether to go with fruit, starchy veg or something else as anywhere I look, I find people giving arguments against them...
            There seems to be a number of people on here that say they are primal then say that anything not in ketosis is unhealthy, or obsess so much about every little detail that they remain under 50g out of abject terror of doing something wrong, and I see that nowhere in Mark's books or blog. I think obsessing and over-controlling everything you eat sort of defeats the point of this lifestyle. There's a lot of threads that end up that way, too, and when they get to that point, I usually stop reading and go do something more productive.

            But yes, one thing I do is freeze my bananas, then break them in half and throw a half in the smoothie. Sometimes I add berries, or sometimes I don't. I also alternate fruit days with things like almond cookies with a little honey. I keep meaning to get the maple flakes, and always forget, so I use a few TSPs honey and some stevia for balance. Wellness Mama's cocoa cookies are really good, too.

            Comment


            • #7
              Fruit will do a better job of keeping you out of ketosis than starchy carbs. Fructose goes straight to the liver and keeps the body from relying on ketones for fuel. As long as you aren't doing any glycogen-demanding activities, 1-2 servings of fruit a day should keep you out of ketosis.
              Ye shall know them by their fruits.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by camilart View Post
                Hi all,

                I started my primal path yesterday and was wondering if one of you seasoned primalists could give me some guidance on staying within that 50-100 g carbs/day range.

                What do you eat to avoid going into ketosis? When I'm not eating grains or sugar I find it hard to eat more than 50g, especially if leaving dairy out too. I don't want to stay in ketosis for long, though, so would like to know the best way to bring the numbers up a bit. What would you recommend? Eat lots of fruit? Potatoes? Dark chocolate every day? Nuts and veggies are not getting me there.

                Many thanks!

                (PS. I haven't finished Mark's book yet and I understand the answer might be there.)
                Out of curiosity, is there a problem with being in ketosis?

                Comment


                • #9
                  So glad you asked croi.
                  This whole "ketosis" thing is the splinter most stuck in my wanting-to-be-primal/paleo-brain.
                  So many messages: "fat is the best fuel, eat fat!" vs "alternate fat with carbs, don't mix 'em or else!" vs "carbs on weekends to refill the glycogen"

                  I thought ketosis was good because you're burning away fat?
                  But then people are all "refill your glycogen!"

                  Meh.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by IndigoBanshee View Post
                    There seems to be a number of people on here that say they are primal then say that anything not in ketosis is unhealthy, or obsess so much about every little detail that they remain under 50g out of abject terror of doing something wrong, and I see that nowhere in Mark's books or blog. I think obsessing and over-controlling everything you eat sort of defeats the point of this lifestyle. There's a lot of threads that end up that way, too, and when they get to that point, I usually stop reading and go do something more productive.

                    But yes, one thing I do is freeze my bananas, then break them in half and throw a half in the smoothie. Sometimes I add berries, or sometimes I don't. I also alternate fruit days with things like almond cookies with a little honey. I keep meaning to get the maple flakes, and always forget, so I use a few TSPs honey and some stevia for balance. Wellness Mama's cocoa cookies are really good, too.
                    +1 Same! I too have some type of primal 'dessert' once or twice a week, otherwise, I'm in Ketosis all the time...which is ok if I want to lose weight/fat fast, but right now I'm happy with where I'm at - sweet spot to maintaining. Also, once I told my husband I was giving up sugar to be more strict about the Primal diet he quickly gave me a lecture on glucose/fructose/every 'ose' conversion in the body and empty calories.
                    Primal Krista
                    The Paleo Lifestyle

                    ________________________________
                    Before and After Pictures.
                    Height: 5'8"
                    Peak pre-primal weight: 155lbs (6/25/11)
                    Current primal weight: 134lbs (9/9/11)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by croí View Post
                      Out of curiosity, is there a problem with being in ketosis?
                      Some to many people find that either right away, or after a while they can no longer lose weight in ketosis. Others really don't like the way it feels. I feel and work much better out of it, though it was helpful for a while.
                      Lifting Journal

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Lawbat View Post
                        So glad you asked croi.
                        This whole "ketosis" thing is the splinter most stuck in my wanting-to-be-primal/paleo-brain.
                        So many messages: "fat is the best fuel, eat fat!" vs "alternate fat with carbs, don't mix 'em or else!" vs "carbs on weekends to refill the glycogen"

                        I thought ketosis was good because you're burning away fat?
                        But then people are all "refill your glycogen!"

                        Meh.
                        That's what I'm not understanding... Perhaps the OP has a specfic reason to not to be in Ketosis. But I figure that I'm prolly in ketosis 5-6 days out of the week based on what I eat, and the fat is just melting off. So unless the OP is just trying to maintain the weight, what is wrong with Ketosis?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I lose as much weight out of ketosis and it's plainly just much more enjoyable to eat and live when you have a little freedom. Mark calls the 50 - 100g zone the fat melting zone, and I've found it's quite true. The idea that you can't lose weight outside of ketosis isn't Primal - it's low carb ideology.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by IndigoBanshee View Post
                            I lose as much weight out of ketosis and it's plainly just much more enjoyable to eat and live when you have a little freedom. Mark calls the 50 - 100g zone the fat melting zone, and I've found it's quite true. The idea that you can't lose weight outside of ketosis isn't Primal - it's low carb ideology.
                            I didn't mean that she couldn't lose weight between 20-50g. I just noticed that I lose weight a lot faster in Ketosis. That's all.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm just wondering what is so wrong with being in ketosis...i'm trying to get into KETO for weight loss and am having a really hard time doing it. Perhaps too many nuts? They do have lots of carbs. Also, not losing any weight, which is the number one reason why I want to be in.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X