No announcement yet.

Health, not weight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dog would not be able to keep up. I'm up to six sets of all-out 20 second sprints and get about two blocks out of each 'rep'. If I had to, I could probably crush even a little more out of these bones. My dog is 15 years old, completely deaf and somewhat hard-of-seeing. I don't know the the Mad Vick is, but I'd give him a run for his money. I've been a spirited sprinter most of my life, even on SAD.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Originally posted by primalprincess7 View Post
      this is why I am determined to get to the lowest point of my healthy range weight. But then again how do you explain football players? they can weigh 250 pounds but have all muscle, they surely can't be considered unhealthy can they? I always weigh more than what I look like so I am not obsessed with numbers but if I had a choice I choose to be at the low end of healthy weight rather than just in or right at but I still have a long way to go and have never been at the low end of my weight range so who knows.
      Rugby players use AAS (steriods) -- if you're a man and you're <6'5, there's no way you can be at 250 lbs and be lean. Besides, you need to eat a lot of kcals to maintain such a size, and that's obviously not good for cell division. In addition, the hefty muscle mass might put too much strain on your heart, so it's not really optimal.

+What others said about the reduced life expectancy of athletes (injuries, steroid use, hgh organ enlargement, too much muscle if they're IFBB pros, etc.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tre View Post
        Rugby players use AAS (steriods) -- if you're a man and you're <6'5, there's no way you can be at 250 lbs and be lean. Besides, you need to eat a lot of kcals to maintain such a size, and that's obviously not good for cell division. In addition, the hefty muscle mass might put too much strain on your heart, so it's not really optimal.

+What others said about the reduced life expectancy of athletes (injuries, steroid use, hgh organ enlargement, too much muscle if they're IFBB pros, etc.)
        The only football players who weigh 250 lbs. are the quarterback, wide receivers, cornerbacks and safeties. They are very lean. The rest weight a lot more than that.

Football players shortened lifespan has nothing to do with diet.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteakNchop View Post
          Football players shortened lifespan has nothing to do with diet.
          So when an ex-lineman gains 100# after retirement - what causes that? And have you ever seen a 50yo ex-pro NFL player eat?

There is a huge difference between talking about how to do something and getting it fucking done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
            I don't know the the Mad Vick is, but I'd give him a run for his money.
            Ah, I didn't realize it was an obscure reference....

The Mad Vick.
            My Fitday public journal.
            Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
            Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
            Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

• Not everyone lives in the US or follows football.
              Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

• Originally posted by ElaineC View Post
                Not everyone lives in the US or follows football.
                or even realizes you arent talking about rugby or soccer when you say football lol
                Primal Chaos
                37yo 6'5"
                6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                current 338lbs 49" waist
                goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

• Originally posted by ElaineC View Post
                  Not everyone lives in the US or follows football.
                  Which means what? Not sure what you are trying to convey?

Comment

• I don't do sports, so nothing to contribute to the derail, but I will add that OMG, sprinting and climbing things is too much to fun to recommend living without. If you need a goal, make it climbing on things!
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• In regards to the original posting of this tread... regardless what all the 'research' says, I have never ever seen a fat centurion. When ever they report on the news that someone has reached 100... they are NEVER fat. Most restrict calories or only eat twice a day. Perhaps it depends on your version of 'long lived'.. but being fat does NOT help you live longer.

Comment

• Thankfully, the internet allows you to find out things like Football, and Vick. That's how I've read the laws for Cricket, even though I would never subject that to myself. In the data age, ignorance isn't so strong an argument anymore. If it WAS... I'd still be wearing a big ass belt buckle, and a stetson.

To PC up my reference, what if you were out walking along a non-regionally unique mixed use environment with a non-regionally exclusive pet, and were accosted by someone looking to deprive you or your pet of life, possessions, or other things that are considered protected or sacred in your area.

A healthy person of course could reasonably expect to be able to save their life, or their pet by being able to run, or at need fight to protect themselves. Simply extending the concept, someone who is overweight (which is decidedly unhealthy, and risky behavior for someone who wants a long life) can reasonably expect this result:
                        http://youtu.be/4smD0xy6w08

Comment

• My mother is one of those "fat but healthy" types. BUT because she has been overweight her whole life - and her joints were not made to carry the extra weight - she had to get two new knees a fee years ago. So I do think that the weight can contribute to other unhealthy factors
                          Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

Comment

• Drivers here in Sonoma County suck. I need to be agile enough and fast enough to dodge the idiot drivers who seem hell-bent on running over innocent pedestrians.

Comment

• Originally posted by dragonmamma View Post
                              Drivers here in Sonoma County suck. I need to be agile enough and fast enough to dodge the idiot drivers who seem hell-bent on running over innocent pedestrians.
                              Heh, I got hit by a bus when I went to school in SF - got far enough out of the way and my backpack took the hit. If you're afraid to sweat, be prepared to get smeared!

Aren't there a lot of pedestrian and bike rider hits in sonoma county?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tre View Post

It is entirely possible for a man to be under 6'5" and weigh around 250 while still being lean. My partner is 6'3" and 245 pounds with 8-9% body fat. He has a furniture delivery business and thus lifts heavy things on a daily basis, so over the years he's build up a lot of very solid muscle. He shocks people when he tells them how much he weighs--according to BMI, he's obese, but he has a 32" waist.
                                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X