Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Health, not weight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • thats what i've been trying to say in my previous posts, this should be a place thats focus is getting people healthy, eating correctly and if you are obese, a place you can come and gain the knowledge and habits to lose weight. being obese is not a good thing, you shouldn't be getting pats on the back and being told its ok you are big boned. progressing towards a healthier weight should be something thats encouraged not being obese.
    Originally posted by Voyageur View Post
    Having to read through posts by people like Griff here everyday, on every thread, makes the nutrition forum a very misleading and dangerous place. The amount of obese, rationalizing, enableing, apologists around here is unacceptable.... and maybe even worse than much of the conventional wisdom everyone condemns dogmatically here.

    At least Griff had the stones to out himself; what about the rest of you? Many of you are propping each other up on this very thread!

    .

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Voyageur View Post
      At least Griff had the stones to out himself; what about the rest of you? Many of you are propping each other up on this very thread!
      Please don't make assumptions about people's bodies. I'm guessing there are just as many fat people screaming in opposition to the possibility of healthy fat bodies as there are people who think it could be possible.

      Or do I have to post my body measurements and prove I'm not a fattie before I'm credible?
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

      Owly's Journal

      Comment


      • Originally posted by voyageur View Post
        having to read through posts by people like griff here everyday, on every thread, makes the nutrition forum a very misleading and dangerous place. The amount of obese, rationalizing, enableing, apologists around here is unacceptable.... And maybe even worse than much of the conventional wisdom everyone condemns dogmatically here.

        At least griff had the stones to out himself; what about the rest of you? Many of you are propping each other up on this very thread!

        .
        qfmft
        My Fitday public journal.
        Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
        Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
        Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Owly View Post
          Or do I have to post my body measurements and prove I'm not a fattie before I'm credible?
          It's not really a matter of being credible. It's a matter of drawing a line in the sand, and you're either doing it, or you aren't. Apologies (and quarter) not accepted or welcome.

          Just my thought this morning. I'm fat, I'm losing weight, I know that the 30-40 extra pounds I have on my frame impacts my ability to live and do the things I want. Sure, I don't want to sit on my ass and read. I'd rather climb crawford notch while listening to an audio book. I don't want to watch amazing race... I want to stalk an elk for 10 miles, shoot it, dress it, and carry it those 10 miles back to my camp before nightfall.

          If anyone is happy at 290, unless they're in the NFL, or Sumo, they're shortchanging themselves with a low bar. Why have such an effed up lowbar? Fear of failure, or fear of acting.
          My Fitday public journal.
          Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
          Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
          Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

          Comment


          • I would be happy at 290. esp if i was on my way down . i didnt start with a perfect body like the rest of you. My parent saw to that ( thanks mom thanks dad , who gave you permission to reproduce)

            but i am trying... and i will die trying.

            what more can you ask?
            Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

            Predator not Prey
            Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

            CW 315 | SW 506
            Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


            Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

            Comment


            • Well, this is a fun thread. Here are some random thoughts and anecdotes that don't anything coherent to it at all...


              Looks like if you're obese, that's either a symptom of illness, or (as in those study subjects) it isn't. Either way, making it your sole or highest priority to treat the symptom doesn't sound too clever. We can agree on that, can't we?

              ***

              TV show last year - 'Are you fitter than a pensioner?' They took a bunch of late teens/ early 20s from the UK and sent them to stay with super-fit pensioners in the States and train to compete with them.

              Naturally, as you'd expect, the answer to the title was mostly 'No' and the programme was mostly just embarrassing. But the scariest of the lot was a bloke in his early 20s - very skinny on your average junk 'food' diet, no health problems mentioned, probably nothing a doctor would've been at all concerned about.

              He lacked the strength to swim 25 metres. No exaggeration - didn't have the muscle power to move through the water, and looked likely to drown from sheer exhaustion on his first attempt.

              Must be plenty of obese people who are a lot healthier than that.

              ***

              Conversation a couple of years back with a friend:
              Me: 'I want to be able to run.'
              Her: 'Why? Whatever for?'

              Couldn't think of much to say to that. (And yes, nowadays I can run.) However...

              ***

              your brain's part of your body. Physical exercise makes it work better.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Hilary View Post
                Looks like if you're obese, that's either a symptom of illness, or (as in those study subjects) it isn't. Either way, making it your sole or highest priority to treat the symptom doesn't sound too clever. We can agree on that, can't we?
                Exactly. Doing things that move you toward health--eating primal foods, getting sleep, being active, and so on--is a win no matter whether you lose weight or not. For most people, taking up healthy behaviours will result in losing body fat. For a few people, that might never get them into a "normal" range, but it will result in improved health anyhow. This makes for a win no matter what, whereas forcing the body into being thinner than healthy methods can achieve creates more problems than it solves.

                Originally posted by Hilary View Post
                your brain's part of your body. Physical exercise makes it work better.
                Absolutely true, whether we're talking academic fitness or mental health. I wouldn't be able to survive grad school without it.
                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

                Owly's Journal

                Comment


                • the only thing being obese is a symptom of is eating too much of the wrong stuff and being overly sedentary anyone who thinks its anything else is lying to themselves
                  Originally posted by Owly View Post
                  Exactly. Doing things that move you toward health--eating primal foods, getting sleep, being active, and so on--is a win no matter whether you lose weight or not. For most people, taking up healthy behaviours will result in losing body fat. For a few people, that might never get them into a "normal" range, but it will result in improved health anyhow. This makes for a win no matter what, whereas forcing the body into being thinner than healthy methods can achieve creates more problems than it solves.



                  Absolutely true, whether we're talking academic fitness or mental health. I wouldn't be able to survive grad school without it.

                  Comment


                  • This thread proves that there is no hope (or apparently not even a want of hope) for some. 290 pounds for the average person is not healthy. Living/advocating a sedentary lifestyle is not healthy. Neither are “Primal”. Yet, a forum dedicated to “Primal” nutrition is full of people deluding themselves, and seeking to delude others that it’s healthy to be a fat couch potato. It’s like a forum dedicated to recovering alcoholics, where people are convincing themselves that being an alcoholic is great. That's the problem, there are other people here looking for answers who are being misled/confused.

                    Wake up! Great, go ahead and accept yourself, you should. But accepting yourself under these circumstances means that you actually confront reality. The reality is that you have accepted being unhealthy. You only want to be “healthy” if doing so doesn’t require you to do anything challenging or that you dislike. No hope.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by dboxing View Post
                      This thread proves that there is no hope (or apparently not even a want of hope) for some. 290 pounds for the average person is not healthy. Living/advocating a sedentary lifestyle is not healthy. Neither are “Primal”. Yet, a forum dedicated to “Primal” nutrition is full of people deluding themselves, and seeking to delude others that it’s healthy to be a fat couch potato. It’s like a forum dedicated to recovering alcoholics, where people are convincing themselves that being an alcoholic is great. That's the problem, there are other people here looking for answers who are being misled/confused.

                      Wake up! Great, go ahead and accept yourself, you should. But accepting yourself under these circumstances means that you actually confront reality. The reality is that you have accepted being unhealthy. You only want to be “healthy” if doing so doesn’t require you to do anything challenging or that you dislike. No hope.
                      Nobody is being a couch potato nor sedentary. You and some people are missing that point. There is no PB requirement to be fit like a bodybuilder, to run five miles a day, to climb a redwood tree, to act if doomsday is coming and our survival will depend on our health status. Eating right is the core of PB, isn't it? Nobody here is advocating being sedentary at all. The OP certainly isn't sedentary. Oh, and your analogy? So way out of there. Stopping alcholism is about stopping drinking while PB is about stopping eating foods that weren't good for us. Neither mandated losing weight in order to get better.

                      Comment


                      • Griff isn't just saying he doesn't want to be an athlete/bodybuilder (fair enough, neither do most of us) he thinks basic exercise like walking 30 minutes a day is for "meatheads" and a waste of time.
                        Giving a shit about your physical fitness doesn't mean you have to be an obsessive athlete. Dunno why he thinks it does.
                        His list of excuses (sorry, "reasons") for why he doesn't want to exercise reads like a five year old whining "but I don't waaaaaaaaaaaaaaant to!"
                        This is the same guy who will adamantly post that you should never go off primal, ever, even eating a slice of toast or something, because those foods are "poisons" but he can't seem to accept that being sedentary is a terrible thing for the human body. Even if you're sedentary because you're doing something worthwhile like furthering your education. Your body doesn't give a shit if you're sitting 12 hours a day because you're watching TV or you're sitting all day because you're writing a paper.
                        Last edited by marqueemoon; 08-17-2011, 10:09 AM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by MaLink View Post
                          What a thread...
                          yup.. instead of a bowl of popcorn.. I ate some grapes!
                          Karin


                          Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

                          What am I doing? Depends on the day.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Kristy2078 View Post
                            Nobody is being a couch potato nor sedentary. You and some people are missing that point. There is no PB requirement to be fit like a bodybuilder, to run five miles a day, to climb a redwood tree, to act if doomsday is coming and our survival will depend on our health status. Eating right is the core of PB, isn't it? Nobody here is advocating being sedentary at all. The OP certainly isn't sedentary. Oh, and your analogy? So way out of there. Stopping alcholism is about stopping drinking while PB is about stopping eating foods that weren't good for us. Neither mandated losing weight in order to get better.
                            +1
                            Karin


                            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

                            What am I doing? Depends on the day.

                            Comment


                            • Ok.. finally read the thread..

                              1. Nobody touched on that he walks across campus- I do not know the size of his campus but most campus's are spread out. That it exercise.
                              2. Doesn't PB talk about moving with slow movements? Who says he does not. Moving does not equal sweating.
                              3. If Griff is happy where he is at, so be it, none of our business.
                              4. I like the health first, fitness second
                              Karin


                              Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

                              What am I doing? Depends on the day.

                              Comment



                              • Elvis has left the building
                                Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

                                Predator not Prey
                                Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

                                CW 315 | SW 506
                                Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


                                Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X