Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fat vs. Grass Fed Beef

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fat vs. Grass Fed Beef

    Okay, I am having a bit of a dilemma/question... While I understand why Grass Fed Beef is better (and I loooove beef - I grew up on lots of it), I cannot find it to have higher levels of fat like the 80/20 that is non-grass fed... And then I wonder to myself - what do others add when you want/need the fat for gravy-ish items or to have my beef/cabbage combo - I love the cabbage to soak up the fat as cooks/steams.... But I find that lower fat counts just don't cut it. Thoughts? Thanks!
    sigpic My goal pic...

    Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

  • #2
    Buy yourself some rendered beef fat and add it in.
    I buy the tubs of it from US Wellness Meats. It's SO good(and grass fed). I never use butter or bacon grease anymore.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Lily Marie View Post
      Buy yourself some rendered beef fat and add it in.
      I buy the tubs of it from US Wellness Meats. It's SO good(and grass fed). I never use butter or bacon grease anymore.
      Well I should put a giant DUH on my forehead! I forget about options like them...I am still on some very bad CW thinking I have to rely on what the stores offer locally... shame on me. Thanks Lily!
      sigpic My goal pic...

      Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

      http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

      Comment


      • #4
        If I want to "grease up" my leaner food (sometimes that does include meat) with the right sort of fats, I use grass-fed butter, olive oil, or coconut oil. Just slather it on!

        Comment


        • #5
          DUUUDE!!!! I live in chicago, stop buying from the grocery stores and get stuff from local farms that deliver. I ordered myself 5 lbs of grass-fed beef suet and beef fat from honored prairie (just $2 a lbs!), they deliver to lots of suburbs around chicago.

          Heres where I get my meats from (localy):
          Wallace Farms Wallace Farms - Grass-fed Beef
          They deliver to Naperville, chicago, and Wauconda.

          Honored Prairie: Grass-fed Beef - Chicago Illinois - Indianaplis Indiana - Fort Wayne - Cincinnati Ohio - Columbus - Dayton
          They deliver to Libertyville, Addison, Naperville, Frankfort, and Munster.

          I order my meats once a month. I got a quarter a cow from Honored Prairie, and Wallace Farms has the best pasture raised bacon, EVER! I can personally vouch for both farms, they are nice and sell excellent meats.
          Last edited by lizzychan5; 08-15-2011, 08:35 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lizzychan5 View Post
            DUUUDE!!!! I live in chicago, stop buying from the grocery stores and get stuff from local farms that deliver. I ordered myself 5 lbs of grass-fed beef suet and beef fat from honored prairie (just $2 a lbs!), they deliver to lots of suburbs around chicago.

            Heres where I get my meats from (localy):
            Wallace Farms Wallace Farms - Grass-fed Beef
            They deliver to Naperville, chicago, and Wauconda.

            Honored Prairie: Grass-fed Beef - Chicago Illinois - Indianaplis Indiana - Fort Wayne - Cincinnati Ohio - Columbus - Dayton
            They deliver to Libertyville, Addison, Naperville, Frankfort, and Munster.

            I order my meats once a month. I got a quarter a cow from Honored Prairie, and Wallace Farms has the best pasture raised bacon, EVER! I can personally vouch for both farms, they are nice and sell excellent meats.
            I've not had any luck yet with farmers markets in the areas that I can get to for produce and I just checked out Honored Prairie - oddly enough the pickup location is at my Primary Care doctor's office...they lead me here and I am surprised they didn't mention this as a source...
            sigpic My goal pic...

            Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

            http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

            Comment


            • #7
              I'll 2nd Honored Prarie. I get beef, chicken, and pork fat from them. Glad it came up, I need to put together an order...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Chasintrail View Post
                I'll 2nd Honored Prarie. I get beef, chicken, and pork fat from them. Glad it came up, I need to put together an order...
                I'd love it if they would work their way down I-55 or west on I-70
                Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

                Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
                Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

                Comment

                Working...
                X