Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excess dietary fat gets stored easier than carbohydrates

It is true.

De novo lipogenesis doesn't occur very often in the body and it takes a lot of energy to convert carbs into fat.

Fats on the other hand practically store themselves.

Discuss.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

The word "excess" makes this too tricky to discuss. Best to move onto other things.

Comment

What does your body do with excess fats?

Store it because it's easy to.

But as for carbs, it can be used for:

Extra energy, liver glycogen, muscle glycogen, blood sugar

If you're an athlete, it's very hard to consume "excess" carbs because your glycogen will always be constantly depleting.

So it makes more sense to eat high-carb, low-fat in terms of body composition.

Comment

Fill your boots. Didn't work out for me.
        If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Oh now you're adding "If you're an athlete...". That's different than what you first said. Poor form.

I just don't get why you post the way you do. I mean, you're obviously know better. Oh wellz

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
            Fill your boots. Didn't work out for me.
            Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner! The logic of the OP is a big part of what set off the low fat/high carb craze. I can remember repeating the mantra - you can't get fat if you don't eat fat for about 3 years while I constantly gained fat. It turns out the body converts cabs to fat very efficiently if there is an excess....just ask all the people that get fat on a low fat diet.

I don't eat particularly low carb, but fat and protein are required for me (and many other people) to control appetite, regulate blood sugar swings, and maintain a healthy weight.

I know that there are many populations that did well on a high carb, non-grain based diet. However, my suspicion is that they did not have access to a caloric excess and hence could thrive.
            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
              It turns out the body converts cabs to fat very efficiently if there is an excess....just ask all the people that get fat on a low fat diet.
              But not as efficiently as the body stores excess fat.

A healthy and active person shouldn't have a problem with a high-carb diet.

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner! The logic of the OP is a big part of what set off the low fat/high carb craze. I can remember repeating the mantra - you can't get fat if you don't eat fat for about 3 years while I constantly gained fat. It turns out the body converts cabs to fat very efficiently if there is an excess....just ask all the people that get fat on a low fat diet.

I don't eat particularly low carb, but fat and protein are required for me (and many other people) to control appetite, regulate blood sugar swings, and maintain a healthy weight.

I know that there are many populations that did well on a high carb, non-grain based diet. However, my suspicion is that they did not have access to a caloric excess and hence could thrive.
                Aw, now you're just verbosalizing with all them big words and such
                If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
                  A healthy and active person shouldn't have a problem with a high-carb diet.
                  And such a person may do even better on a high fat, low carb diet.

Comment

Originally posted by js290 View Post
                    And such a person may do even better on a high fat, low carb diet.
                    They may, but high fat, low carb may not be suitable for all and maybe not long-term:
                    My Carb Sane-Asylum: Glucose and NEFA: From Dysfunctional Metabolism to Toxicity

rphslv, I believe fats store pretty efficiently but that's okay as long as they don't stay in storage.

Comment

I agree that your claim would appear logical, but both the empirical studies and anectotal evidence says otherwise. It is my observation that many people on a high carb, low fat diet are unable to access their bodyfat stores for energy, and experience regular drops in blood sugar that control their hunger. Whether or not some of these negative properties are inherent only to antinutrient rich carbs like grains I am unsure of though.
                      The safe starch options tend to be low in micronutrients, and many of said nutrients are fat-soluble leading to bad absorption.
                      You also disclaim the parts that fat and cholesterol play in hormone production, and low fat diets often leave people with suboptimal hormone levels that can make fat storage more prevalent. I believe are going to be diminishing returns for both macronutrients based on the individuals current physiology, and what works well short term won't necessarily work optimally for years.
                      Honestly though, I believe eating whole unprocessed primal foods is more important than the macronutrient ratios of the diet (within reason).

Comment

Yes! I got fat (fatter) on the low fat (and necessarily high carb) diet. I have lost over 65 pounds by eating low carb/high fat in addition to greatly improving my health. Did the OP miss Mark's advice to eat low carb to lose weight? Or maybe he's one of the few and lucky ones with a metabolism that can handle carbs. Not true of many, many of us. Carbs in excess of my low tolerance are poison to me.
                        Starting Weight: 197.5
                        Current Weight: 123
                        Far healthier!

Comment

The OP is trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
                            It is true.

De novo lipogenesis doesn't occur very often in the body and it takes a lot of energy to convert carbs into fat.

Fats on the other hand practically store themselves.

Discuss.
                            yeah using the words "It is True" without facts is pretty much useless in this day and age. when any astute researcher can know within a day or two that the body has 4 methods of converting fat to glucose.

Fats dont "store themselves" it isnt as if they are even storable in the same form you ingest them in.

You are really humourous
                            Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                            Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                            Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

I have seen lots of peole eat up to 40% of calories from fat while being very active without weight gain or negative body composition shifts. I personally coach about 9 "primal" endurance athletes who are racing Ironman Triathlon and Ultra-running 50-100 miles. Yes, they need more carbs, but an essential part of their diet is a lot of high quality medium chain triglycerides (tons of coconut products), Omega-3 and Omega 6 fats and protein. Most perform quite well in the 300-400g carb/day when working out regularly (6 days a week). They have all come to the realization that endurance sports, while not entirely primal/paleo is somethingthey enjoy doing and I have agreed to make every attempt to help them reach the highest level of performance they can with the minimal amount of long term damage to their bodies. Many will go full paleo/primal during the off season and switch to the hybrid model for the compettition season. I will often do a carb re-feed on them on the weekends when we bump up to 600 or so grams of CO and have seen steady performance gains.

Comment

Working...
                              X