Is eating burgers paleo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is eating burgers paleo?

not all the time but im on a budget and at a recording studio for a month and i just have been eating burgers alot without buns from mcdonalds or burger king or where ever and even cooking frozen ones in the hotel.....eating almond butter too.... sorry if i seem entirely un educated on it and sorry if this is such a newb post. im still learning....
    Big brains discuss ideas
    Average brains discuss events
    Small brains discuss people...
    -Eleanore Roosevelt

anyone?
    Big brains discuss ideas
    -Eleanore Roosevelt

Comment

In a pinch a burger without the bun from McDonald's is okay. I wouldn't choose it for myself unless I was desperate. It's not exactly quality meat. I once read a post on Archevore that said if he eats that kind of meat he will take some cod liver oil (for the omega-3...to balance the Omega-6 in the factory meat).

"Any day we eat factory meat or get a big dose of n-6 PUFAs in restaurant food (Mcdonald's burger without bun, barbecued store bought chicken, restaurant eggs fried in vegetable oil) we each take 1 teaspoon of Carlson's cod liver oil."

Archevore - Archevore Blog - What I*eat

Comment

I eat burgers all the time. Cooked at home. Ground beef is, as far as I can tell, primal enough. And it's a big plus that you don't eat the awful, grain based, buns.

Do you get fries also? That would not be primal. Potatoes are at best borderline, and if you are concerned about your weight, they have way too many carbs to fit into the PB. Plus, they are cooked in very nasty oils.
        Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

its beef, so yes its primal
          Primal Chaos
          37yo 6'5"
          6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
          current 338lbs 49" waist
          goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

No, you'll have to blend them up and drink them with a straw so you don't get rewarded. Seriously, I enjoy bunless burgers at home, with all the fixin's (home-made condiments and pickles -no sugar) They sure are nice piled high with peppers and cucumber slices.

Comment

You might want to grab a pack of pre-mixed salad greens or veggie sticks from a regular grocery store.

Comment

I make a fantastic burger bowl at home:

cooked ground beef seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
                top with chopped onions, tomatoes, and lettuce, lots of Bubbie's dill pickle relish, dijon mustard and homemade mayo.

Comment

grassfed - absolutely.
                  grainfed - mostly.

McDonalds - hard to trust.

Just play the cards your dealt.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobirdy View Post
                    No, you'll have to blend them up and drink them with a straw so you don't get rewarded.
                    :-D
                    42 yo female; 5'8"
                    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
                    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
                    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
                    Goal weight: 145 lbs

Comment

man thank you all for the awesome replies.... i guess the cards im being dealt with is walmart frozen burgers and mcdonalds and taco bell.YOUR SUPPORT MEANS THE WORLD TO ME BEING ON THE ROAD!!!

im mainly just concerned that im eating too terrible....cuz i mean....im sticking to the main point right? anywhere i eat no matter the TYPE of meat, the basic idea is eat with no bun or tortilla..JUST T?he MEAT RIGHT?
                      Big brains discuss ideas
                      -Eleanore Roosevelt

Comment

The only thing I would be worried about is that the beef in fast food sometimes contains a lot of fillers, and there's no telling what the hell they are.

But you play the cards you're dealt, and it sounds like it's the best choice given the situation.
                        Durp.

Comment

i live in southern ca....when im home at least what kind of places should i shop for grassfed meat?
                          Big brains discuss ideas
                          -Eleanore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by btownshreds View Post
                            man thank you all for the awesome replies.... i guess the cards im being dealt with is walmart frozen burgers and mcdonalds and taco bell.YOUR SUPPORT MEANS THE WORLD TO ME BEING ON THE ROAD!!!

im mainly just concerned that im eating too terrible....cuz i mean....im sticking to the main point right? anywhere i eat no matter the TYPE of meat, the basic idea is eat with no bun or tortilla..JUST T?he MEAT RIGHT?
                            Welcome and good luck to you with the changes you are trying to make! In a pinch, a fast food burger is ok, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. Aside from the heinous ways the animals are raised and killed, there is the issue of omega 3 vs. omega 6 balance. And, honestly, the main point of primal/paleo is NOT to just eat the meat with no bun. It's about achieving optimal health by eating good quality meats, vegetables, and fruits while avoiding grains and legumes (and for some, dairy). Achieving optimal health won't happen if you have a whole bunch of inflammation in your body by eating omega 6 laden burgers. I sense you are really busy right now, plus you mentioned being on the road, but I would strongly, strongly encourage you to take the time to read Mark's Primal Blueprint. Trust me, this book will change your life and go a LONG way to breaking down the health/science components of primal eating.

Best of luck to you!
                            My journal

Comment

Sorry, I just saw those last couple posts. If you have Trader Joe's, they carry reasonably priced grassfed ground beef -- it's actually what I ate for dinner tonight. Other stores carry it as well, but I tend to buy mine at TJ's.
                              My journal

Comment

Working...
                              X