Fat/Protein ratio?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat/Protein ratio?

What do you think is the optimum fat/protein ratio? High protein/high fat, equal parts protein and fat, or moderate protein/high fat?

Eating more protein than you need for muscle growth and repair has downsides. The advice Mark gives in the book (you'll have to read it for the detail) is to eat enough protein for muscle growth and repair and eat your target intake of carbs. The rest of your target calorie intake should be met from fat. So its not about ratios, though once you've worked it out for your needs, its easy to think in terms of ratios
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I'm curious of this as well, Id guess Fat-40%, Prot-40%, Carb-20%.

Comment

It's covered in the book, and in blog posts.

RTFM.
        My Fitday public journal.
        Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
        Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
        Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

Fats to Protein Ratio

Protein/fats/ carb ratio for me is 20/40/20. I've bumped up the carbs with sweet potatoes (added starch) because I'm learning that increases my lifting strength. I've reduced the protein amount to not gain weight. I am not losing BF though. Have reduced the calorie intake too by a little.

Comment

20/40/20? Really?

What's the missing 20%?

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
              Protein/fats/ carb ratio for me is 20/40/20. I've bumped up the carbs with sweet potatoes (added starch) because I'm learning that increases my lifting strength. I've reduced the protein amount to not gain weight. I am not losing BF though. Have reduced the calorie intake too by a little.
              I feel like there is a 20 missing here.

Comment

Got your attention. LOL
                F/P/C ratio is ~40/40/20

Comment

F/P/C Ratio

The optimum ratio is what your own body does best with. As we've learned the fatrotein:carb ratio varies from person to person. This will change over time. For instance someone 20 years younger can get away with eating more carbs than I and stay lean. I struggle with low carb intake to lose BF. Low carbs will not reduce BF for me. Yet increasing the carb amount gives me more strength. So, do I want to have more strength and energy by eating more carbs or do I try to lose BF and give up gained strength? That's my challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by davem View Post
                    It's covered in the book, and in blog posts.
                    Which blog posts, please?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldstar View Post
                      Which blog posts, please?
                      Here and there. But you could equally well have a look at the Primal blueprint 101, which is online:

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

In a nutshell, Mark's system is:

1. Protein in grammes should be 0.8 x lean body mass (in pounds). (But bodybuilders, he thinks, could do with a little more.)

For someone with a lean body mass of 130 lbs, for example, this would work out as around 100 grammes of protein a day.

(BTW, you could use the calculator here to work out lean body mass: Diet Calculator, Body Fat Calculator )

2. Carbohydrate consumption should be at an appropriate level for your metabolic state (deranged or not) and activity level. See the Carbohydrate Curve in the 101. For example, this would be 100-150 grams/day for the "Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range" and 50-100 grams/day for the "Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss".

3. Everything else is fat.

You want to know what that is in percentages? Depends, of course. Shall we say we're taking a person with a lean body mass of 130lbs who isn't particularly deranged? Let's say he or she is eating something like 2400 calories.

So we want around 100 grammes of protein (= 400 calories)
                      And we want around 100 grammes of carbs (= 400 calories)

That leaves us 1600 calories to supply from fat. (BTW, since each gramme of fat gives us nine calories (it's four for protein and carbs) that would be 178 grammes of fat.)

Percentage of calories from fat = (1600 / 2400) x 100 = 67% approx
                      Percentage of calories from protein = ( 400 / 2400) x 100 = 17% approx
                      Percentage of calories from carbs = ( 400 / 2400) x 100 = 17% approx

So there you go. Something like 65 to 70 % fat, 15 to 20% protein, and 15 to 20% carbs. But it depends. And it does't have to be exact.

Macronutrient ratios around that sort of thing are probably about right for most people. But micronutrients are really more important.

Comment

I just try to get roughly my weight in lbs per gram of protein, and let the rest of the chips fall as they may. On the days I do moderate workouts I carb-up so I'm getting less fat, and on days I don't I get tons of fat.

Comment

Originally posted by lewis View Post
                          here and there. But you could equally well have a look at the primal blueprint 101, which is online:

primal blueprint 101 | mark's daily apple

in a nutshell, mark's system is:

1. protein in grammes should be 0.8 x lean body mass (in pounds). (but bodybuilders, he thinks, could do with a little more.)

for someone with a lean body mass of 130 lbs, for example, this would work out as around 100 grammes of protein a day.

(btw, you could use the calculator here to work out lean body mass: diet calculator, body fat calculator )

2. carbohydrate consumption should be at an appropriate level for your metabolic state (deranged or not) and activity level. See the carbohydrate curve in the 101. For example, this would be 100-150 grams/day for the "primal blueprint maintenance range" and 50-100 grams/day for the "primal sweet spot for effortless weight loss".

3. everything else is fat.

You want to know what that is in percentages? Depends, of course. Shall we say we're taking a person with a lean body mass of 130lbs who isn't particularly deranged? Let's say he or she is eating something like 2400 calories.

So we want around 100 grammes of protein (= 400 calories)
                          and we want around 100 grammes of carbs (= 400 calories)

that leaves us 1600 calories to supply from fat. (btw, since each gramme of fat gives us nine calories (it's four for protein and carbs) that would be 178 grammes of fat.)

percentage of calories from fat = (1600 / 2400) x 100 = 67% approx
                          percentage of calories from protein = ( 400 / 2400) x 100 = 17% approx
                          percentage of calories from carbs = ( 400 / 2400) x 100 = 17% approx

so there you go. Something like 65 to 70 % fat, 15 to 20% protein, and 15 to 20% carbs. but it depends. And it does't have to be exact.

Macronutrient ratios around that sort of thing are probably about right for most people. But micronutrients are really more important.
                          qft
                          Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                          Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                          Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                            Got your attention. LOL
                            F/P/C ratio is ~40/40/20
                            Yeah, eat better, math skills will improve.

That protein is a lot higher than I can handle - just can't eat that much protein normally. So I end up around 60/25/15 (F/P/C).

Comment

Working...
                            X